MOISTURE IN HEADLIGHT

Status
Not open for further replies.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I thought about this type of thing a few days ago, when I remembered one of the initial posts re: reaction to seeing the car for the first time. One of our members (DavidA ??), noted that the assembly was plastic, and would probably fade or turn yellow over the years. If such a thing happened, would the gov make them replace the unit because the effectiveness of the lighting would be diminished?

Think not, look at all the hazed headlights you see on the road now.

That is one of the comments I made to G-Thang when she called. To me this is a big concern. I am hoping that an aftermarket glass assembly will eventually become available. Anyone out there in the glass industry?

HeelBird, if I remember right all my older Birds had plastic there, 84,87,89,90,95. I had no trouble with this but they were always kept in the garage when not driven. I have seen some of the older 83 1/2 to 86's with this problem. I don't know about the gov. thing to replace them, have never heard about recalls for this.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond

having had to deal with the Chrysler TC by Maserati and it's glass headlights, it's important to bring these issues to Ford now.

The government only regulates on safety related issues - for first 7 years of car's life. Headlights fall under that category.

btw - glass breaks and even a rock chip can be reason for a headlight to fail inspections in some states and countries. Glass headlights are more expensive than plastic.

Dot-

Seen the price on a headlight for an 89-93 Thunderbird? Lowest price I could find was $220 through a supplier-Ford has those things listed at $290-and that is for one side!!

Yellowed lamp lenses are NOT covered under safety-only defects in the manufacturing process that would cause them to crack. I checked on that one when the lenses on mine started to yellow in 1994.

You can cure the yellowing problem easily by using 3M FinnesseIt White and a buffer. In about ten minutes your headlamps look like new.

As for the water getting into the lamp housing, there is a way to prevent that one-go to O'Reilly or AutoZone and pick up one of the Versachem Plastic Weld kits. Remove the headlamp assembly, and at the joint between the lens/body, run a small bead of the weld epoxy around the entire lamp, and gently tamp it into place. the plastic weld will set up in about 15 minutes, and be fully cured in 24 hours. That joint is not very well-glued from the factory, and can easily separate-using the plastic weld kit will fix that particular problem.

------------------

-

I'm thinking in terms of our TC. The original price on the glass lamps - when they were available from Chrysler were $450.00 each side. - Would you believe they are now as much as $2500 for the right side and $1500 for the left?? because Chrysler failed to realize how often glass headlights break from road hazards so didn't make enough replacement stock to even last 5 years. They had 500 more of the right ones built and that stock only lasted about 3 more years - and they never made more of the left since those ran out at 6 years and they fiddled around so they could get past the having the mandatory replacement parts. We now have to get replacements from other TC's which is why the high cost. Many owners use a thick plastic protector that 3M makes - it helps alot. There are not enough cars to warrant an aftermarket supplier to invest the $150,000 it takes to retool to make more.

of course there's much smaller numbers of the TC than there are even now of the new T-bird so wouldn't expect prices on a glass or plastic headlights for the Tbird to ever reach the costs for the TC.

Water seepage that causes discoloration of the reflective surface I would think falls under the safety issue as it greatly reduces the amount of light reflecting onto the road.

I recall reading in the LS forum that this is a big problem for that car. I can't reference it since the board is now closed to non-members, but I think the only solution was to let the assembly dry out between washes. Maybe someone with access can check.

rolleyes.gif
I just checked the LS site on this. They do seem to have a problem with this happening. Seems Ford is telling them that a little moisture is (normal)for these kind of headlights. I think we all know that this is a lot of Bull. The dealers are replacing them under warranty but after that who knows. Sounds like we may start having the same problem.
eek.gif

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back