Lowering 2002 Convertible top manually

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Your topic has been moved from the Drop the Top, Off Topic Forum to the 2002-2005 Ford Thunderbird Discussion. Also, your subject "2002 Convertible Top" has been changed to "Lowering 2002 Convertible top manually" to summarize your post.
model-year-TBF.jpg

Is it possible to raise the soft top by hand in an emergency situation? Is so how?
2002 Thunderbird
No such provision was made in the design, your best option is either to fix the top or to buy a hardtop and recruit a friend to help install it.
If you want to repair it yourself, it is a simple matter to find out what is broken and to buy that part (used) inexpensively after a web search.

Thanks! Pretty sure the FEM is the problem. Will send one off to be repaired and wait..........

Problem didn’t start until I had the FEM replaced. It fixed a number of problemA I was having. But when I got around to taking the hardtop off, soft top wouldn’t raise. Eliminated fuses and relays so, seems to be the FEM.

Only 30 days. Took the Ford Dealership three weeks to replace and fix an oil leak. I didn’t even think about removing the hard top until the warranty was expired.

Problem didn’t start until I had the FEM replaced. It fixed a number of problemA I was having. But when I got around to taking the hardtop off, soft top wouldn’t raise. Eliminated fuses and relays so, seems to be the FEM.

You can see in my post that the FEM can cause issues with the top. If it's been a reasonable time and the dealership refuses to address the problem, write a review on Google! That's what really affects them! I've heard of other people having FEM's repaired and they were not done properly so when they replaced the FEM it just caused other FEM related issues.

No such provision was made in the design, your best option is either to fix the top or to buy a hardtop and recruit a friend to help install it.
If you want to repair it yourself, it is a simple matter to find out what is broken and to buy that part (used) inexpensively after a web search.
If you are certain it is the FEM, you could get a wiring diagram and a voltmeter and with about $20 worth of parts add an updown switch while protecting the fem with blocking diodes. ( Buy proper connectors so you can remove the mod later when the FEM is fixed )

Is it possible to raise the soft top by hand in an emergency situation? Is so how?
2002 Thunderbird
I hope you get your ragtop working. Lots of good suggestions here.
I wanted to ask, as an owner with zero technical knowledge, is there a maintenance service I should know about in order to keep my convertible top working well. I live in Florida and pop the top as often as I can. My 2005 Bird has 55K miles and I’ve owned it since it had 34K miles in 2016, never have I done anything to the moving parts. Should I be lubricating the convertible parts? Any recommendations are much appreciated. Thanks

Back