locking lug nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

i installed them soon after I got the car in the garage, just three sqeaks tight.

------------------
Blue/Blue Prem. w/full accent
In my Garage as of 1/25 #6333 LIC: BLU TB

What sort of problems have you had? I've never, ever had a problem in the past 15 years or so since I've had alloy wheels on my cars. I've always had the McGard wheel locks on them.

KB

I installed the weekend after picking the car up on Nov. 19th. I have over 4000 miles and have no problems. I would be more concerned about someone taking the wheels than with having problems with the lock system.

------------------
Bill's Red and White #4359

What locking nuts are you guys talking about?? It's really a bummer that I can't go down and check this stuff. (recouperating from surgery) But, I don't think anything extra came with the car.(locking nuts). And in fact don't think I ever used and such items. Thanks for any info

yellowing1 - The locking lugnuts are in a plastic with the "key" (which is an insert for the wrench with a special pattern that matches your lugnuts). Mine were on the trunk with the wrench. One nut is used on each wheel, replacing one standard nut. My dealer switched mine for me. Be sure to keep your key with the wrench, as it is required to remove the nuts. Mine is attached with a short cable and clip to the wrench. Be very careful that tire shops return the key to the trunk. Sometimes they use the key with their impact wrench, and forget to return it.

yellowwing1, sounds like the dealers are doing it two different ways. My dealer installed the locking lugs when they prepped the car and then gave me the extra 4 lugs they took off. If your dealer didn't do it this way then your locking lugs should be in the glove box or possibly in with your spare tire. Eather way you should have gotten them. I have had these on all my 5 birds in the past. They don't have a key like you might think. There is a formed key that fits into the locking lug on each wheel. A little hard to discribe to someone that has never saw them before. You will understand when you see them. They have been around for a Looong time, even bought a set back in 1978 for my Ford Super Van when I put on a set of deep dish chrome wheels.
Hope this helps.
biggrin.gif

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond

Maybe I'm missing something, but I always thought thought locking nuts were silly because the same pattern is used for all cars. So theives are likely to have the same nut to remove them anyway since they're on so many cars. But correct me if I'm wrong.

NMJeff, I'm sure there are many that are duplcats on these cars and I don't know how many different copies there might be. I would think there are only so many combinations. But I think this is to dissuade the teenager or the cheep thief. It is a deterrent and that is all.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond

I believe there are 20 something patterns of the lug nut keys, so they aren't exclusive but definitely problematic for you if you lose the key that came with your car (Ford doesn't make them - they have to order them from their supplier). They will not slow down a real thief (he'll know how to get around the problem, but will really slow down a legitimate mechanic that is trying to rotate your tires if the key is lost (don't ask me how I know this). My advise it to forget them, but I'm sure others will think just the opposite.

Paul

------------------
#3739 Premium
Torch Red w/matching top
Standard Interior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back