"Lines on the Car"

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Status
Not open for further replies.
tbird

tbird

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I would like some owner's comments regarding the precision of how the car is put together. Do the gaps between the fender's and hood appear even on both sides, truck etc? How are the overall lines in the car?

T-Bird

I see you are from Knoxville, TN. I am from SC, but purchased from Dean Stallings Ford in Oak Ridge, TN. My black T'Bird was put on railcar on 12-7 with an ETA of 12-21. I will be flying into Knoxville to pick it up as soon as dealer calls. Hope I make it before Christmas.

I am very happy with the panel margins, and almost everything seemed to line up very well. The margin where the hood meets the front bumper seems too wide, and the black trim over the radiator can be seen slightly when the hood is closed. They will attempt to close the gap when I have a minor paint problem fixed in the spring. Also, the line of the top of the trunk lid seems to extend past the rear bumper, rather than continuing the same line down over the bumper.

Both of these are minor issues which don't spoil the overall love of the car's design and quality.

On every one of the 2002 Thunderbirds I've seen, including mine, the decklid extends slightly rearward of the bumper below it. I assume this is to prevent water flowing off the rear of the decklid from entering the trunk compartment. If not, this is an odd fit and finish issue. It caught my eye when I saw my first new Bird.

Originally posted by 5Birds:
I see you are from Knoxville, TN. I am from SC, but purchased from Dean Stallings Ford in Oak Ridge, TN. My black T'Bird was put on railcar on 12-7 with an ETA of 12-21. I will be flying into Knoxville to pick it up as soon as dealer calls. Hope I make it before Christmas.

Yes, I grew up in the Oak Ridge area and go there often on business at the plants.

T-bird

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back