Leaky hard top | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Leaky hard top

• Thread starter Thread starter gbsb
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
gbsb

gbsb

Torch Red '02
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Put the hard top on a couple of days ago adjusted the front bolts like the post said top whent right on real easy. Had real good rain today got in the car and the drivers seat is soaked and so is the door . Top fit great but leaking bad. any body know where to start Thanks gbsb

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Glad that post worked out for you, and your tops on.

When I get home I may also have something there for the window leak. I'll look it up and post in the AM😎

I found a TSB 04-09-5 that I'll attach for you. This is what Ford tells the tech's how to fix

If the TSB doesn't help or if others need different fixes, I found various other members fixes (5 of them) for water leaks and thought I would post them here for future use, since this thread has the appropriate title:
1)
"If you have the leaking I am talking about after you install the hardtop put a piece of tape (NOT ducttape since it will leave glue behind) covering the spot by the drivers window where the hardtop attaches to the 'A' pillar rubber. The problem is that by design water travels through the inside of the gasket and for some odd reason the drivers side becomes lower and water drips right at the point where the 2 gaskets connect"
2)
"Check the rubber gasket where the top meets the windshield. The gasket on the windshield should be outside of the one from the top.
I had the same problem on one side and found that and have had no problems since. The water drains down from the top and if the windshield gasket is not around the top gasket the water comes inside otherwise it goes down the windshield and out of the car."
3)
"As for the leaking hard top: try reprogramming the window drop. Do it while the door is shut and the top is on. That may make it seal tighter. If it still leaks, try again with the door open."
4)
"Is the window drop feature working correctly? Recalibrate it anyway just to make sure. Or, Remove the top and check for any damaged gaskets on both the top and the car. Clean them all. Put the top back on and check again for leaks."
5)
"If you put the top on and off frequently, a short term quick fix, with the window down simply put a small piece of duct tape over the seam where the top connects to the car pilar rubber (assuming this is where you are getting water) The car is designed for water to flow through that gasket and down to the fender drain, so the problem is the connection point. Prior to installing my hardtop I usually push REAL hard upward on the pillar rubber. (At the factory they used a rubber hammer on it."

Last edited:
And finally, here's anothert fix from an owner:

"I have a 2002 that leaked. Had a FSE that worked on the proto types look at it. He stated that they had notcied this and found the fix was to fill the top along the top of the windshield area with silicone. If you look at the hardtop near the edge along the rolled seam you'll see a small opening. Fill from there he said. Sorry to say there is no adjustment that can be made to the hardtop other then the latch's."

Sure hope something in these previous posts help you and/or others. Good luck

Last edited:
Leaky Hardtop

I had similar issues, and when I took it to the dealer they replaced the header seal under warranty, they even gave me the old one...anyway the leak improved but still occurred in certain circumstances usually when the water exceeded the amount of water the seal could redirect.

I took it back to the dealer who ended up sending it to a body shop. They removed all the trim around the mounting points of the top, (rear and windshield) and made adjustments to the points themselves.

Apparently the mounting blocks on the windshield frame have some adjustment to them. Ever since then all has been well (knock on wood grain)

I have had the top on and off several times, and have had no real issues unless I spray a hard stream of water toward the seal seam at the top of the A-Post.

Good luck,
Pete

PJJ:
Glad you are all set for now. If future problems occur and you're out of warranty, you may want to print this or save it, here's a link - Then go to post #2:

I believe the mounting blocks you speak of are covered here

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back