Key will not fit easily into ignition 2002 | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Key will not fit easily into ignition 2002

• Thread starter Thread starter Kiawah Bird
  • Start date Start date
Kiawah Bird

Kiawah Bird

Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Have to "jimmy" key to get it into ignition Anyone had this problem and know solution?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hmmm.....I know of the issue on other cars; particularly when owners have the key inserted in the ignition on a ring with a big wad of other do-dads swinging around while driving. This wears the key down and causes problems. Perhaps a previous owner did this.

My first instinct would be to lubricate the ignition lightly and make sure there are no burrs on the key; e.g. lightly file any defects.

Try a spare key to see if you have the same problem, or have another key cut , a dealer could cut another key off the vin number also

Had an issue a month ago where key would not go in at all. Called mobile locksmith, who picked the dustcover out of the way, put my key in, and ordered a replacement. I took car in for installation of the new cylinder the following weekend; when I returned for pick-up, the locksmith showed me that whomever had replaced the cylinder in the past had installed the plastic shield upside down (I recall the previous owner telling me he had had to have a mobile locksmith come out because the keys were misplaced on the day he was moving; the same guy punched a hole in the seat somehow). I didn't need a new cylinder at all, he just re-installed the shield in the correct orientation. Still cost me $100 labor, because it took the same amount of work as replacing the cylinder. Locksmith said that the dust covers do sometimes fail to retract, and the easiest fix is to just remove the dust-cover, which I would be leery about doing on a convertible. No issues since then.

Back