1957 ignition key won't come out

J
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
None
My original ignition key is stuck in ignition switch and won't come out. Any suggestions on how to remove it? I'd like to fix it so I can continue to use the original key. Thank you for any help you can provide.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

My original ignition key is stuck in ignition switch and won't come out. Any suggestions on how to remove it? I'd like to fix it so I can continue to use the original key. Thank you for any help you can provide.
I had that happen to my '64 Thunderbird. Wound up having to replace the cylinder. You might try spraying graphite into the key hole.

You may able to remove the tumbler without removing the bezel. Then you can take it to a locksmith and more than likely get it repaired.
( That's what the little hole is for beside the key slot)

You may able to remove the tumbler without removing the bezel. Then you can take it to a locksmith and more than likely get it repaired.
( That's what the little hole is for beside the key slot)
On a 55, 56, 57 Thunderbirds, there isn't any hole beside the key slot. The ignition switch will have to be removed from the dash panel.

To remove the ignition switch, first disconnect the battery. The ignition switch is removed by pressing in the switch body from the rear of the panel and rotating the retaining nut counter clockwise. I use a large screw driver to remove the retaining nut, but it is not the preferred tool. CASCO sells the special tool to remove all of the instrument panel switches. The part number is; LT-1.

Once the retaining nut is removed, remove the ignition switch from the rear of the instrument panel and disconnect the wires from the switch terminals. You can now take the ignition switch to a locksmith.

To remove the tumbler cylinder from the switch housing, you will need to insert the key into the tumbler cylinder and turn the key 1/8 clockwise. Then push the small button down at the top rear of the key tumbler cylinder. The tumbler cylinder can now be removed from the switch housing.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Ignition Switch.jpg

If you have to get a new cylinder you can have a locksmith reset it so you can use the original key

Back