Just Got Christine Lowered With New Coilovers & Replacing Ignition Coils (2003)

Tuckers Baby

Tuckers Baby

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
So as an update to the car, I haven’t seen much here in the way of people upgrading their suspension but after the initial honeymoon period with the car I wanted something a little firmer and lower to the ground; so as a Christmas gift to myself I decided to snag a set of D2 Racing adjustable coilovers. While “technically” branded for Jag S Types you all are well acquainted with our fellow DEW98 platform neighbors to know many things are compatible. Nevertheless, after wrestling with Fed Ex to get my package and scheduling a day at the mechanics shop, my T-Bird is now 1.5” lower and not nearly as squirrely as before. The alignment job also fixed the slight drift in my steering but she handles turns and corners like a champ now.
Here’s some comparison shots:D334DD26-2A5D-42A4-8CC3-4C3DDF9F4BD7.jpeg50C4CD02-192E-4F5A-AD55-7939973FCF1E.jpeg
Before ^
24788F6E-AD0C-44F6-90A4-D94338FA2B47.jpeg1D8BD1A9-B387-41BC-BA0D-F2E66BFBE932.jpegB3547A11-56B9-41D1-87AC-1543C4FC7D26.jpeg55FB4859-527F-42DD-8CFC-C0DE91C547A2.jpeg
After ^
So far I like the height but I am grappling with the idea of raising her back up 0.25-0.5” as there have been a select few dips that have caused a minor scrape on the bottom of my exhaust tips and the X brace of the frame. Otherwise I’m perfectly fine and in no danger of destroying my body/bumper, but if anyone else has lowered their car do tell me your ride height so that I may try it in the future.

In other not so nice news, I’ve been noticing some missfires lately coupled with a rough idle. Mechanic also suggested that new Coils would be the solution to the lean O2 sensor codes plaguing me every 75-350 miles, and after ordering a new set yesterday I got another OBD light and it told me it’s Cylinder 8 that’s missfiring. Not to worry though, she made it home safely and I’ll install the new ignition coils this weekend and hopefully be driving her again by Saturday. If anyone has dealt with something similar before, would it be worth it to replace the spark plugs too, even if they seem fine?

Slight rake looks really good. Do you have any clearance issues when turning? Especially when breaking & cornering thru runoff channels at most intersections?

I'm considering lowering my 2019 F-150 XLT with new lowering control arms and a flip kit. Worried about drive shaft vibrations though.

I would definitely replace all the coils and all the the plugs too. Make sure you use never-seize on the plug threads and di-electric grease on the coil end that slips on the plugs. I usually watch you-tube videos on any project that I'm about do myself. It saves a lot of of grief.
I'd also like to say even if a spark plug looks fine there can be something wrong or weak on the inside. It happened to me on a one cylinder Kohler motor and cost me weeks of useless work and replacement parts I didn't need. I took the motor to an expert and he did everything he knew and couldn't get it started. Baffled, he just put a plug in as a last resort and it ran perfect.
That plug probably cost me a grand or so. It must have come apart inside with no signs of trouble.

So as an update to the car, I haven’t seen much here in the way of people upgrading their suspension but after the initial honeymoon period with the car I wanted something a little firmer and lower to the ground; so as a Christmas gift to myself I decided to snag a set of D2 Racing adjustable coilovers. While “technically” branded for Jag S Types you all are well acquainted with our fellow DEW98 platform neighbors to know many things are compatible. Nevertheless, after wrestling with Fed Ex to get my package and scheduling a day at the mechanics shop, my T-Bird is now 1.5” lower and not nearly as squirrely as before. The alignment job also fixed the slight drift in my steering but she handles turns and corners like a champ now.
Here’s some comparison shots:View attachment 15151View attachment 15150
Before ^
View attachment 15152View attachment 15153View attachment 15154View attachment 15155
After ^
So far I like the height but I am grappling with the idea of raising her back up 0.25-0.5” as there have been a select few dips that have caused a minor scrape on the bottom of my exhaust tips and the X brace of the frame. Otherwise I’m perfectly fine and in no danger of destroying my body/bumper, but if anyone else has lowered their car do tell me your ride height so that I may try it in the future.

In other not so nice news, I’ve been noticing some missfires lately coupled with a rough idle. Mechanic also suggested that new Coils would be the solution to the lean O2 sensor codes plaguing me every 75-350 miles, and after ordering a new set yesterday I got another OBD light and it told me it’s Cylinder 8 that’s missfiring. Not to worry though, she made it home safely and I’ll install the new ignition coils this weekend and hopefully be driving her again by Saturday. If anyone has dealt with something similar before, would it be worth it to replace the spark plugs too, even if they seem fine?

#8 is easier than #4. Don't ask how I know that! :)

#8 is easier than #4. Don't ask how I know that! :)

Hahaha... I'm sure I know how you know that. Really, the whole process was not too bad.... EXCEPT for that 1 bolt by the brake booster. Took me longer to get that one bolt off than the whole job. That bolt comes out about 1/8th of a turn at a time. Recommend you start with passenger side to build up your confidence and then, take a long break and hit the driver side when you are at peace with yourself.... :mad: Use a small open end wrench to do this one. That is the only thing that will fit in there.
Oh, and be gentle with the coil plastic clips. They are almost 20 years old!

I just replaced all 8 coils and plugs last weekend doing a tune-up. My '02 was riding rough and coded several COPs, so I did them all. You should replace the spark plug when you replace the coil. Usually, the plug gets fouled when the coil misfires. Rides like new!

Two weeks ago I had two fuel pumps replaced. Yes, there are two fuel pumps. I had a mechanic do this. Car wouldn't start, but it wasn't like a battery or flooding situation. Fuel wasn't getting to the engine to allow it to turn over.

Slight rake looks really good. Do you have any clearance issues when turning? Especially when breaking & cornering thru runoff channels at most intersections?

I'm considering lowering my 2019 F-150 XLT with new lowering control arms and a flip kit. Worried about drive shaft vibrations though.
Thanks; and no, no issue turning/driving/breaking/etc. Only steep inclines or sudden dips have ever caused a scrape on the undercarriage and even then most can be avoided by taking them slow and at an angle, but I’m not perfect and have occasionally misjudged some spots. I never went flying into dips at stock height either but the look of the car is really something else, and so long as I don’t muck up my bumper or exhaust tips, I can take the occasional painful sound of my X brace kissing the curb.

Regarding the truck, I’ve never been too big on them lowered since I prefer them to be more function over form. As for vibration well you would be lower to the ground and depending if the new suspension stiffens everything up more, but you trade off feeling little bumps more for increased responsiveness and control. Ironically, I feel every tar patch now but glide across the railroad tracks near the college.

I just replaced all 8 coils and plugs last weekend doing a tune-up. My '02 was riding rough and coded several COPs, so I did them all. You should replace the spark plug when you replace the coil. Usually, the plug gets fouled when the coil misfires. Rides like new!

Two weeks ago I had two fuel pumps replaced. Yes, there are two fuel pumps. I had a mechanic do this. Car wouldn't start, but it wasn't like a battery or flooding situation. Fuel wasn't getting to the engine to allow it to turn over.
No worry, I picked up a full set of NKG Platinums yesterday and the coils should get here right after I leave for work.

Back