how'd they do that anyway? | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

how'd they do that anyway?

• Thread starter Thread starter dchamb
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I think it's all in the configuration of exhaust.
When I bought a Seville I had two choices of HP and asked what the difference was. I was tiold that the only difference is in the exhaust configuration.
Now if we take it a step further, the '02 and '03-'05 have different HP and different exhausts. Is it exhaust or CID or some combination?

I agree with Cursorofold. I think it's primarily the Variable Valve Timing (swipped from the Jag and Lincoln LS?). Only question is why didn't they do in in '02?

Camshaft

Would "variable intake valve timing" involve the camshaft"? Isn't the camshaft what mechanically opens, and allows the valves to close?

Back in the day that is how it happened. On this engine I really don't know unless maybe they can change the timing belt forward or backward?

Steve

variable valve timing

I think the variable valve timing is indeed the correct answer. I learned on a lincoln ls motor trend revue that it is jaguar's equipment. And the extra power is indeed 28. I drive an '02 bird and my wife an '03. The extra power is VERY evident, even though the '02 ain't no slouch. Wish I knew how to get the 28 too.

I think the variable valve timing is indeed the correct answer. I learned on a lincoln ls motor trend revue that it is jaguar's equipment. And the extra power is indeed 28. I drive an '02 bird and my wife an '03. The extra power is VERY evident, even though the '02 ain't no slouch. Wish I knew how to get the 28 too.

dchanb, my 02 is no slouch either. Love that bird.

I've added Borla exhausts but not sure how many if any HP it adds

more power, argh

Something I have been interested in for my '02, is headers instead of an exaust manifold. Nobody makes one for this engine apparently. I have thought having a set custom made, but very cost prohibitive (800.00 estimate). Has anyone else looked for them?

dchamb:
If it's performance how about SCT? http://www.sctflash.com/

There are quite a few TBirders that have this and all positive comments. Here's just a few:
Well folks I just returned from SCT's factory and had my car dyno tuned. In fact my car was the test bed for the K&N CAI.
Let me say this, if for no other reason get the Excalibrator2, with a stock tune and heavy load the car pinged. The timing had to be retarded about 4 degrees. (with no loss of power) Also, the Air/Fuel ratio was a little rich so we leaned it up a bit. That means that mileage will increase. Needless to sayperformance has increased.
Another TBirder says:
Interesting to note that my Torque was up 25# through the entire range with the K&N wheras the HP curve the higher the RPM the greater the difference.
I have a K&N 63 series on the 04 with borlas and SCT2 with 93/4 octane tune.
The power at rpm is awesome!!
Another potential fro yet another person:
I use Pete at www.fordchip.com
He is in Livonia, MI.

dchamb: I am not sure where you live, but sent you a PM with more data. Hope you can find a supplier near you that can explain about the tuning chips.

chips

I've been asking around trying to find someone that has experience with chips, but no luck yet. I'm in "small town Ga.", so I'll probably have to go to Atlanta. Ill keep at it til I find someone with experience doing it. Thanks George.

In the meantime, I'll see if I can find out if anyone we know in GA has done this as well.
Gee "small town in GA", I've got a very good friend in Dawsonville - Anywhere near you?

dawsonville

Actually, the town I live in is "Dawson". Its not as famous as Dawsonville (family legend does claim us to be cousin to Wild Bill however). I'm in southwest Ga..

ECM tunning

dchamb:
If it's performance how about SCT? http://www.sctflash.com/

There are quite a few TBirders that have this and all positive comments. Here's just a few:
Well folks I just returned from SCT's factory and had my car dyno tuned. In fact my car was the test bed for the K&N CAI.
Let me say this, if for no other reason get the Excalibrator2, with a stock tune and heavy load the car pinged. The timing had to be retarded about 4 degrees. (with no loss of power) Also, the Air/Fuel ratio was a little rich so we leaned it up a bit. That means that mileage will increase. Needless to sayperformance has increased.
Another TBirder says:
Interesting to note that my Torque was up 25# through the entire range with the K&N wheras the HP curve the higher the RPM the greater the difference.
I have a K&N 63 series on the 04 with borlas and SCT2 with 93/4 octane tune.
The power at rpm is awesome!!
Another potential fro yet another person:
I use Pete at www.fordchip.com
He is in Livonia, MI.

George;
I would like to find out more details about fine tunning the Engine computer, for example the software I am using, snipertuning allows for electrical and mechanical plus/minus change at low, medium and high RPM as well as for the fuel. Also for the fuel there are two more overall parameters. I am not using a Dyno, I am doing it by actually runing the car in privet road.
Do you know of some body doing tuning them self.
Thanks, Frank, frank1353@*********

I'll send you some data

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back