Help With Programming Key Fob | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Help With Programming Key Fob

• Thread starter Thread starter Phillip
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to program my backup key fob for my 2005 Ford Thunderbird, and I am having problems doing so (I bought the backup key fob on Ebay, because one of my two key fobs that came with the car went on the fritz recently).

Anyway, I followed the instructions in the Manual to the Letter, whereby I first electronically switched the door locks to the Unlock position, and then I turned the ignition switch from OFF to RUN (fourth setting on ignition switch) 8 times within 10 seconds.

Then, I am supposed to wait for the doors to automatically cycle between unlock and lock, to indicate the start of the 20 second programming mode. However, the doors never did automatically cycle (I waited about 2 minutes, and I cannot imagine it takes longer than that for the doors to do their cycling).

Has anyone done a key fob programming on their T-Bird, and can they provide me with any hints about what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

By the way, I did properly leave the ignition switch in the RUN setting, upon completion of the ignition movements.

Also, when one reads the manual to the letter, it is unclear whether or not you do the ignition swithing 8 times or 9 times (since there is a step which says go from OFF to RUN, and then there is a next step that says go from OFF to RUN 8 times quickly within 10 seconds). I tried it with 8 and 9 switches rapidly, just to make sure I covered my bases, and both times I did not get the door locks to automatically cycle, and thus it never got into the key fob programming mode.

HELP!

Hi Phillip:
Not sure if this is the same as the manual, but something I copied a while back in case I needed it:

"HOW TO REPROGRAM YOUR REMOTE ENTRY TRAMSMITTERS

First, you must have ALL remote entry transmitters (maximum of four) available before beginning this procedure. To reprogram the remote entry transmitters:
1. Ensure the vehicle is electronically unlocked.
2. Put the key in the ignition.
3. Turn the key from the 2 (OFF) position to 4 (RUN). [NOTE: Position 1 is fully counterclockwise (key removal), and Position 5 is fully clockwise, or the IGNITION position]
4. Cycle, eight times, rapidly (within 10 seconds) between the 2 (OFF) position and 4 (RUN) position. [NOTE: The eighth turn must end in the 4 (RUN) position.]
5. The doors will lock, then unlock, to confirm that the programming mode has been activated.
6. Within 20 seconds, press any button on the remote entry transmitter. [NOTE: If more than 20 seconds have passed you will need to start the procedure over again.]
7. The doors will lock, then unlock, to confirm that this remote entry transmitter has been programmed.
8. Repeat Step 6 to program each additional remote entry transmitter.
9. Turn the ignition to the 2 (OFF) position after you have finished programming all of the remote entry transmitters.
10. The doors will lock, then unlock, to confirm that the programming mode has been exited.
And, here is the procedure for programming your PATS Keys:
1. Insert an existing key into the ignition cylinder. [Requires two existing working keys]
2. Turn the ignition cylinder to ON (RUN) and back to OFF.
3. Remove the existing key and, within 5 seconds, insert the second existing key and turn it to ON (RUN) then back to OFF.
4. Insert the new key before ten seconds have elapsed, and turn it to ON (RUN). Leave it on for one second and turn back to OFF.
5. The security light will light up for three seconds to indicate that the new key has been successfully programmed."

Let me know if this works or is the same as you have tried.

Thanks.

Yes, those are the steps that I tried to perform.

It's just that I never get the doors to lock/unlock by themselves in the step 5 to let me know that the programming mode has been activated. Rather, after I have turned the ignition to RUN for the eighth time, I just wait and wait for the doors to cycle through lock/unlock, but nothing happens.

My one working key fob does work to lock/unlock the doors, and so I know that the wireless electronics in the car is OK, but for some reason it does not want to let me into the programming mode.

I was checking all of the other FORD forums, and one "key fob programming problem" response seemed to indicate that I had to take a cable off the battery for a few minutes to remove all power to the car, and then reattach it and try the reprogramming steps again, but I really don't want to do that, since then I will have to reprogram my clock and radio settings.

From the above comment in the other FORD forum, it appears that the FORD key fob programming software can get into a weird mode that can only be gotten out of by turning off all power to the software for a few minutes, but again I am leery to try this (but what else can I do?).

It sounds to me that you may have to take that route🙁

Well, I did not remove a battery cable, but rather I called the local Ford dealership, and a nice person there told me to bring my T-Bird over, and he would program it without writing up a ticket. I watched him do the exact same things I did, but the only thing being that he did the 8-time-ignition switching very, very fast (I am certain that I did mine well within the 10 second time limit, but who knows?), and lo-and-behold the doors automatically cycled, and so he was able to program both of my key fobs.

Problem solved, but mystery remains. 🙄

Thanks Phillip, that's great info to share.😎

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back