Passive Anti Theft System on 2005 Cashmere

Mike in Nashville

Mike in Nashville

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
From time to time my '05 Cashmere T Bird has not been starting, not turning over or nothing but all the lights and other things function perfect. Then a day or so later I would go out and try it again and bingo it started fine. So I was searching for an article about the neutral switch (my thought causing the problem) but ran across an article about the PATS problem. The thread mentioned the red light on top of the dash would blink and not be solid red. So I went out and looked and my red light was blinking. A few hours later I went back out and the light was not blinking and the car started fine. So then I noticed that I had two different keys. A "Ford" key and one marked "Jet and H75-PH". Both of my key fobs work well but not both keys.

The Ford dealer I purchased my '05 from gave me a second key and it does not start the car. I am thinking that these keys must have a chip. The one key will open the door, turn on the ignition but not allow the engine to start. My start and not start depended on which key I grabbed on the way out the door.

This might be a cheap fix.

yes the keys are chipped and it seems like the extra key you have was not programmed.with only one programmed key you need to have professionally programmed by dealer(not sure about other locksmiths) about $80 the time I did it. if you have 2 keys programed you can program 3rd key yourself so I have a third in case I lose one.that way I can still program another myself(the older I get the more I lose stuff)

Thanks for that info, I will work on that. Hate to spend $80 but cheaper than a locksmith.

Hello, I am sharing the same issue on my Tbird 2004.
I wonder if it is possible to delete definitively the anti-theft system and how to do it ?

Best regards from France
Jean-Luc

I have a 2005 thunderbird and the shop said it needed a starter because it would not start. ( then it would and would not) so I replaced the starter ($350.oo) then couple days it was fine then it would not start again. It's been in the shop for about a month and I guess they are not doing anything to the car, it is just sitting there. The next move is to pick up the car and try and figure out what the next move will be.

My car starts every time with the Ford key but the other one will not start my car. I have a Volvo and one key works all the time and the other one only works every now and again. You might want to check your key I think maybe the resistor or what ever is in the key might go bad.

Back