Help---cashmere Crisis | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Help---cashmere Crisis

• Thread starter Thread starter jordsdad
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I Need Some Help.....last Night While I Was Washing My Cashmere Bird, Which I Do Once A Week, I Noticed On The Seat Back Of My Seat, Some Staining On The Bottom Of The Seat Back. It Looks As Though It Is Bluish, Or Black, It Is On The Bottom Two Panels Of The Seat Back. I Have Not Worn Blue Jeans In The Bird, But It May Be Some Dye From A Shirt Or Pair Of Pants, Not Sure. Does Anybody Have A Solution, Other Than Dyeing The Seat Section, Or Buying A New Seat. The Seats Are White!!! Hope You Can Help Me!!! 🙁 🙁

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

00mustng said:
......could it have come from your belt?.....or maybe it was transferred from some other surface by your pants/belt?......

Welcome back Martin, back from vacation? 😉

A belt sounds exactly like the culprit, as Richard Dawson would say, "GREAT ANSWER!!"

Jordsdad, I have the same problem in my yellow 'Bird. I finally realized that the color came from a new handmade black leather belt that I had bought in the Southwest. And I am sad to say that I have tried every expensive, professonal leather cleaner and homemade remedy known to humankind, all with no success. So I am living with it, unfortunately.

pbocciardi said:
Jordsdad, I have the same problem in my yellow 'Bird. I finally realized that the color came from a new handmade black leather belt that I had bought in the Southwest. And I am sad to say that I have tried every expensive, professonal leather cleaner and homemade remedy known to humankind, all with no success. So I am living with it, unfortunately.

Paula!!
Good to see you again! I sent you two PMs on May 1, 2004 that you never read... <grin> they still show in the Track Messages but I had to delete the sent messages at some point because of the PM count limit.

A guy I work with had the dealer bring in someone to re-dye a spot on his upholstry... seems like it cost about $150 and I think his interior was tan. They mixed up the batch of dye and kept adding color until the mixture matched before they applied it. He was very pleased with the results. I imagine many dealers or trim shops might offer a service like this.

Last edited:
Quickdraw. I am thinking of doing the same thing, i am going to my dealer today to see if they know of anybody who can possibly dye the section of the seat that is stained. I may be wrong, but it would seem a little easier to dye a white seat back to white, as opposed to another color. I guess the last resort would be a new seat........probably couldn't afford it, even if i could get one. Will keep everybody posted as to my luck with the problem. 😛

jordsdad said:
Quickdraw. I am thinking of doing the same thing, i am going to my dealer today to see if they know of anybody who can possibly dye the section of the seat that is stained. I may be wrong, but it would seem a little easier to dye a white seat back to white, as opposed to another color. I guess the last resort would be a new seat........probably couldn't afford it, even if i could get one. Will keep everybody posted as to my luck with the problem. 😛

Im guessing you could get the seat back skin for maybe $250-$300... ask them for your 25% discount on parts <grin>.

Quickdraw

My ford dealer service manager said he could order the seat back , and most likely get it for me under the warranty.........however, he said that if they installed it, it most likely would not look as good, or fit as well as it does from the factory. So, that worries me. He did get some chemicals from Ford that i have to pick up today to try, maybe that will work. Do you have any experience in having new leather put on your seats........just wonder what it would look like. 🙂

Just had a new driver seat back installed for warranty. The fit is good , but not quite as tight as original. My 05 is Cashmere. looks better than it did with tear or cut. Have 1500 miles now.
Dennis

Thanks for your reply on replacing the seat back.........I just got some of the leather cleaner from my ford dealer.........i am going to try it this evening.......will see what happens...........!!!! if it doesn't work, will have to make the decision about living with it, or taking a chance on a new seatback....... 😕 😕

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back