HELP bump causes engine to quit 2003 tbird | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

HELP bump causes engine to quit 2003 tbird

• Thread starter Thread starter sanj2
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S
Reaction score
Instrument warning lights come on occasionally when a bump is run over. I have had the engine quit and also go into safe mode when a rough spot in the freeway is run over. It is a 2003 Tbird bought new in 2004. This problem started in 2005 and the Ford dealer could find nothing wrong. I started driving it a little more this year and it is worse. I am afraid to drive it very far any more. It is too dangerous to sit on the side of the freeway waiting for it to start again. All the lights work but the tach and speedometer drop to zero sometimes when a bump is it. I have had 10 mechanics and nothing found wrong as it is intermittent.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

...just some random thoughts here...there must be a code showing from the computer diagnostics? Could one of the battery cables be loose? could there be a short somewhere?

...just some random thoughts here...there must be a code showing from the computer diagnostics? Could one of the battery cables be loose? could there be a short somewhere?

You could be correct 00, I've heard where a wire connection (probably the electric seat) under the passenger seat will come slightly loose and cause electronic issues. Sure worth a check.😕

Engine may stop at any speed no codes given

I am having a continuing problem of motor stopping at any speed. The ABS, traction control and parking brake light come on just before the engine stops. There are no engine codes given and dealer unable to find any problems. It is a 2003 TBird purchased new. This has been going on and off for the last 8 + years. After the engine stops, it will restart in about 5 minutes. It usually runs fine until it does it again. It may stop again in a few minutes or run well for months. Any help or thoughts will be greatly appreciated. I recently had all coils and plugs replaced. It still does the same. I hope no one ever has this problem. Thank you for any replies.

If it was reported and not resolved while under warranty, I believe that the dealer still has a responsibility to fix it. Especially after 8 years.
Hopefully Quickdraw will come in and verify this for you.
Did they offer an extended warranty? In 2013 I put an extra 36,000 4 year warranty on my 2002.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back