Heater / AC operation 2002-2005

• Thread starter Frankie the Fink
  • Start date
Frankie the Fink

Frankie the Fink

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Now that its a bit cooler I've used the heater on occasion and have the following question. When I put the climate system on AUTO and raise the cabin temp to say 78* or more the heat kicks on but the A/C light is also on (I assume the compressor doesn't run tho), even when I switch out of AUTO it remains on, if I manually turn OFF the A/C light via the button then the heater still seems to work just fine.

Is the A/C light coming on when heat is called for normal ? Its not really addressed in the owner's manual...

Now that its a bit cooler I've used the heater on occasion and have the following question. When I put the climate system on AUTO and raise the cabin temp to say 78* or more the heat kicks on but the A/C light is also on (I assume the compressor doesn't run tho), even when I switch out of AUTO it remains on, if I manually turn OFF the A/C light via the button then the heater still seems to work just fine.

Is the A/C light coming on when heat is called for normal ? Its not really addressed in the owner's manual...
Yes this is normal. All late model cars do this. The AC helps remove water from the air allowing the air to heat faster and keep dampness (which promotes mold) out of the system. You can turn it off but its actually better with it on.

Got it and thanks - that's sorta what I thought...

Back