Headlights and turn signals don't work

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gene Woodrum

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
(02/08/16)
My battery in my 04 with 85k was so low the car would not start. I noticed the running lights and tail lights were on but very dim. The switch on the dash was in the off position. AAA jumped me and I went to Sears for a new battery. While driving I realized the turn signals didn't work and the headlights came on only in the auto position although I can turn the running lights on with the switch. When I tried to use the turn signals the dash lights would go out. Sears said the battery was fine and sent me home.
He suggested I remove the cable from the positive post on the battery so I would not drain it tonight. I did disconnect it and reconnect it several times before leaving it off for the night hoping it might reset something but nothing changed. Any suggestions before I take this into the dealer.

02/27/16
I took the car to the Lincoln dealer here in Gainesville Fla on 2/18. They still have it. They replaced the switch in the steering column. ($650) then the FEM. ($800) Now I am waiting for a new instrument cluster to arrive for installation. ($1500) They tell me each time they replace a part the operation of the lights and blinkers change but not correctly. They have 2 master mechanics on the job and they are conferencing with Lincoln engineers. They can not tell me with any certainty the parts they have replaced are bad. Even if they were damaged they are not the solution and they have no idea why all of this has shorted out at the same time. At first they could not get the codes but Lincoln sent them an interface that allowed their computer to retrieve them.

This is my daily driver and with the car rental it is getting close to $4000. I am seriously considering telling them to take the new electronic parts out, put the old ones back in and pay them for the labor involved. The headlights will work in the auto position and I can drive the car using hand signals. Any thoughts or suggestions?

MODERATOR NOTE- VIEW THIS THREAD- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...d-front-electronic-module-fem-2002-2005.5560/

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The Lincoln service writer called about an hour ago to tell me the parts supplier had a mix up and the one they had in stock was not there when they went to pull it for shipment. The service writer told me he was making arrangements to send my cluster out for rebuild. It will be approximately 2 week turn around. He said my cost will be considerable less than the one from the parts supplier. So we shall see!

I have the same problem on my 2005 Golden Anniversary edition. I have already replaced the Instrument Cluster,($800), and I only have 25000 miles on the car. It accumulates significant condensation in a very short time, so I'm afraid it is rusting out from under me.
There has to be a better way to fix the light problem without having to replace all the onboard electronics.
If not, this is my last Ford.

I have the same problem on my 2005 Golden Anniversary edition. I have already replaced the Instrument Cluster,($800), and I only have 25000 miles on the car. It accumulates significant condensation in a very short time, so I'm afraid it is rusting out from under me.
There has to be a better way to fix the light problem without having to replace all the onboard electronics.
If not, this is my last Ford.

Hey guys, are your cars throwing any OBD codes? If so, what are they?

Gene stop throwing money at that car. Go online to one of the sites that sell an experts time to help you solve the issue. Just ask is one. They will connect you with a Ford mechanic who is familiar with the T-Bird. I had an issue with my Turbo Diesel pick up truck. Got connected to a GM Mechanic with 28 years at Chevrolet. He asked questions, I checked where he told me and he found the problem. I called the local Chevy house and they wanted $400 for the part and $200 labor plus tax to install it and it's right on top of the engine! High voltage though. I went out on Rock Auto and got it for $200 and the mech told me how to install it. The mech cost me $27 and I gave him a $40 tip. Saved me a bunch. The guy was great, sending wiring diagrams, location pics etc. Good luck, cheers, Frank

I had posted the following on another forum and had limited response. I am hoping I may get some guidance from someone on this forum

(02/08/16)
My battery in my 04 with 85k was so low the car would not start. I noticed the running lights and tail lights were on but very dim. The switch on the dash was in the off position. AAA jumped me and I went to Sears for a new battery. While driving I realized the turn signals didn't work and the headlights came on only in the auto position although I can turn the running lights on with the switch. When I tried to use the turn signals the dash lights would go out. Sears said the battery was fine and sent me home.
He suggested I remove the cable from the positive post on the battery so I would not drain it tonight. I did disconnect it and reconnect it several times before leaving it off for the night hoping it might reset something but nothing changed. Any suggestions before I take this into the dealer.

02/27/16
I took the car to the Lincoln dealer here in Gainesville Fla on 2/18. They still have it. They replaced the switch in the steering column. ($650) then the FEM. ($800) Now I am waiting for a new instrument cluster to arrive for installation. ($1500) They tell me each time they replace a part the operation of the lights and blinkers change but not correctly. They have 2 master mechanics on the job and they are conferencing with Lincoln engineers. They can not tell me with any certainty the parts they have replaced are bad. Even if they were damaged they are not the solution and they have no idea why all of this has shorted out at the same time. At first they could not get the codes but Lincoln sent them an interface that allowed their computer to retrieve them.

This is my daily driver and with the car rental it is getting close to $4000. I am seriously considering telling them to take the new electronic parts out, put the old ones back in and pay them for the labor involved. The headlights will work in the auto position and I can drive the car using hand signals. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I know it has been a long time since your post but I need to know what happened because I could have just copied and pasted your post. I have an EXACT problem encountered 3 days ago after 2 days of hard rain. Can you please tell me how it came out? Did you get it fixed? If so, please save me hours of work and tell me what it was.

Thank You.
SANDY S.

I know it has been a long time since your post but I need to know what happened because I could have just copied and pasted your post. I have an EXACT problem encountered 3 days ago after 2 days of hard rain. Can you please tell me how it came out? Did you get it fixed? If so, please save me hours of work and tell me what it was.

Thank You.
SANDY S.

Hello Sandy S.

I'm having the exact thing problem as you which seems to be the same problem that Gene Woodrum had ("While driving I realized the turn signals didn't work and the headlights came on only in the auto position although I can turn the running lights on with the switch. When I tried to use the turn signals the dash lights would go out. Sears said the battery was fine and sent me home."). Seems like he just gave up on the problem after throwing a lot of money at it and I'm hoping not to repeat that.

I see that you just responded looking for help back in January and I was wondering what you came up with I'm also free to answer any questions I'm not sure really what's going on I don't work on my own cars so may not be the best but always willing to try to help. From reading over different posts in this forum, I'm looking to go down the FEM route and finding a mechanic to take that out and let me keep my car there while I send it off to get fixed and sent back to see if that fixed the problem. I think to get that fix it's like $200 something plus shipping I'm hoping to spend around $400. Again not sure if you have any answers if you're in the same boat as me but if you have any insight or did something that seemed to fix your shoe please let me know. Otherwise have a great day and thank you for looking into this and finding any insight you may have.

Gypsy Davy
2004 Thunderbird

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back