Hardtops on? | Page 2 | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Hardtops on?

• Thread starter Thread starter sauernote
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Paula, Just put in a CD of the Eagles or the Boss & crank up the tunes. (Just kidding)
Mine was doing the same thing until I loosened and then re-tightened the x-bracing.
Maybe the loosening first allowed the braces to stretch out and relax. Then tightening them back up in their new position did the trick. Doing this I got rid of probably 85% of the creaking & groaning.

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Has anyone actually had experience with the X-Pel 3M tape product designed to address the "hard top rub" issue?

X-Pel advises that their kit protects the deck area above the trunk. There is no wrap around on each side so that the areas wrapping around to each door from the trunk panel are not protected.

I'm very interested in this product. However, it does seem that it does not afford total "rub" protection.

Comments please.......

I also am NOT looking forward to applying the "tape" to my car.

After complaining directly to Ford Motor Company, I phoned the dealer who sold the car to me....He is looking into a possible solution, similar to the XPEL kit... My understanding is that it is a material manufactured by 3M, but available locally, and applied by a specialty dealer for about $1.00 per inch....

I should know more in about a week, and will post my findings....

Has anyone used the clear bra material. I stopped in today and talked to a guy.. they now have a black bra material for us lucky Blk Blk Blk guys... He claims he can do my rocker panels and do a strip for the hardtop too. Im debating on the nose for the bra.. Im told the stuff can be taken off and will not damage the paint. Anyone have experience with the stuff?

Chief-

I know that the XPEL issue has been thouroughly beaten by now but, you asked that I let you know what I thought of the product when I had it installed.

Finally got it installed yesterday and it appears that it may be a suitable alternative to the cheesie kit that Ford is pushing. Only complaint that I could find with the product is a small linear defect in the material that is visible if you know where to look.

Originally posted by Chief:
Spartacus,
I'm most interested in your opinion regarding the Expel kit. Please advise results.

Thanks

Originally posted by njmiket:
We put our Hardtop on last Saturday.
We warpped the tape over the inside edge to keep it from showing. It seemed to work OK.

Question-NOISE ?--- I have read about all the stuff that everyone is putting on to protect their paint----but---- what is the resultant noise control of the creaking and groaning and rattling that the hardtop causes at speeds of less than 35MPH. Xpel/3M/ford tape----- do any of these products stop the noise ??????????

Hi everyone - I'm NJMikeT's wife, and the owner of the 'bird. I drove it to work yesterday and today with the hardtop re-installed with Ford's crummy tape, and it is quiet and secure, no rattles. I guess we did a good job, but I'd really like a better product. That tape deal is a cheezy solution for such an expensive toy.

But, love that Thunderbird! She'll be in the garage tomorrow. We are getting our first snow/sleet event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back