Hardtops on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The tape does show, it is too wide. I have trimmed mine (carefully!) so that it is hidden under the top's rubber gasket yet still gives the necessary protection. As far as warpage goes, I have not noticed any.

------------------
Blue Premium w/partial accent
02 Black Taurus SE

Thanks for the reply. I assume that it is not possible to trim the tape after it is installed. So, how much should be trimmed before installation?

Does the tape affect the tightness of fit? Any weird noises?

You are correct, this must be done before mounting the strips. I trimmed the strips to almost half their width (you may find you need to adjust this one way or the other). The tapes do not effect the fit of the top, and I have not experienced any noises. Just be sure that you follow the directions listed in the small handout that should be with your owner's manual,it is important to insure proper alignment of the latch mechanisms in the rearand docking pins up front.
Good Luck!

------------------
Blue Premium w/partial accent
02 Black Taurus SE

The tape job is a disgrace. I ordered the package - $55.00 for 4 sets of tapes. The tapes are too wide and show under the top. Trimming should be done before you remove the tape from the backing. And the tapes don't really align with the car very well.
As some said before, this is a lousy solution for a $40K automobile. This is an opportunity for a better aftermarket solution.
Re: masking tape - I don't think so. The adnesive used on that tape would probably mess up the paint job when trying to tremove it after a period of time under the roof compression.

Originally posted by sauernote:
Please let us know if this kit can be adapted for the hardtop. Or do they make a special kit just for this purpose?

FIRST I HEAD ABOUT THIS TAPE. CAN YOU GIVE ME A PRODUCT ORDER NUMBER AND PRICE. SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD IDEA.

I clicked on the link Spartacus provided, and the paint protection comes in different kits depending on the area of the car you want to protect. There is a kit for the hardtop protection, but it's 8x the price of one sticker from Ford.

I'm not sure I want to invest that much if the Ford sticker does the job, even with a little custom trimming.

------------------
PK- Blue/Full Blue/Blue Top #16336

Yes, it's a lot of shekels but, there are serveral prevailing thoughts;

>How often do I want to be bothered with the crummy tape?

>I took the bird to a dealer to have their crummy tape installed, and they refused because of the difficulty!

>How much do you value your bird and what do you think a new paint job is worth?

>You get what you pay for!

>The tape is not one of Fords "Better Ideas".

Firestone tires anyone?

Originally posted by FUN X 3:
I clicked on the link Spartacus provided, and the paint protection comes in different kits depending on the area of the car you want to protect. There is a kit for the hardtop protection, but it's 8x the price of one sticker from Ford.

I'm not sure I want to invest that much if the Ford sticker does the job, even with a little custom trimming.

the tape according to the directions that came with mine is supposed to be replaced every time that you put the top back on. I to wanted the dealership to show me the proper way to install the tape but ended up having to show them how to do it, and yes it does overlap some some of the tape folds down inside the well. what a pain

blk blk prem blk top-

Originally posted by brd4jk:
the tape according to the directions that came with mine is supposed to be replaced every time that you put the top back on. I to wanted the dealership to show me the proper way to install the tape but ended up having to show them how to do it, and yes it does overlap some some of the tape folds down inside the well. what a pain

blk blk prem blk top-

------------------

Here in MN put the hardtop on Saturday. I used regular masking tape just along where the light scratches where like I was masking it off. Worked well. After it was clamped down could not see it.

I'm not paying $55 for them to sell me tape.

I received my car before the tapes were available (03/04/02) my dealer provided a set of 4 at no charge when I went for service.

------------------
Jim Williams
red/red/std blk premium #2 of 2 VIN 1FAHP60A62Y111592
Mass. tag JWBIRD

On the subject of hardtops, ever since the
dealer serviced my car (1st oil change at 3k) the hardtop is noisy over rough pavement. It almost feels like it is moving, yet I do not think that is possible. The only explanation is that when lifting the car they must have done something. I did the suspension adjustment (tightened bolts) etc. Is there any adjustment for the top itself ? Any ideas.

All,

I just put my hardtop on last night and while I admit I hated having to do it, the tape was not very difficult. I think it took me all of 30 mins. to lower the top, read the directions, trim the tape (thanks to whomever suggested that) and apply. A very poor solution for such an expensive car...but not that complicated. I would still love to see a molding of some sort retro fitted for the '02 'Birds.

------------------
Premium Black w/Red partial
VIN - 1FAHP60AX2Y113877
sq#4044
build #14004
Delivered 3/29/02
2000 Chrysler Sebring Conv.

densbird,

Over time, my hardtop, too, has developed the most heinous noises. I just put it back on after its summer break, and the noises are worse than ever. They're inaudible above 35 mph, but below that speed I almost don't like driving the car! It creaks, rubs, groans, moans. I've tightened all conceivable bolts, but to no avail. I suppose I should take it in to be looked at, but I tried that with a small-town dealer and he said he'd have to send it to a body shop, and I balked. I'd love to hear anyone else's ideas on this most annoying problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back