Hardtop hanging | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Hardtop hanging

• Thread starter Thread starter Larry Beck
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L
I'd like to hang the hardtop from my wife's 2004 T-Bird from our garage ceiling. I'm concerned about exactly how to support it without doing any damage to any of the sealing edges as the hanging will probably be long term.

Anyone have any ideas or where-to-buy the proper piece of equipment. Don't need a hoist, have one, just some type of bracket etc.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Larry Beck
SoCal

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Larry:
Most of the expensive hoists have metal brackets that hold the tops by the headliner, so they do not touch the gaskets. As long as you have the hoist, all you need to do is copy the holder.
If you can find their websites you'll see them. Possibly Quickdraw can help here???
OR, search here (above) for hoists or hardtop hoists.

Hardtop Lift

Larry Beck said:
I'd like to hang the hardtop from my wife's 2004 T-Bird from our garage ceiling. I'm concerned about exactly how to support it without doing any damage to any of the sealing edges as the hanging will probably be long term.

Anyone have any ideas or where-to-buy the proper piece of equipment. Don't need a hoist, have one, just some type of bracket etc.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Larry Beck
SoCal

Hi Larry,

I purchased the complete package, bracket, winch and cover from Hoist Lifts over a year ago and have been very satisfied. My hardtop has been hanging above the car since around the end of March, 2005 with no problems or complaints. Some manufacturers specifically recommend NOT leaving the hardtop hanging...Hoist Lifts says it is okay with their lift. Perhaps Hoist Lifts will sell you the bracket assembly by itself. Here's the link:

http://www.hoistlifts.com/ford.htm

Good luck,
Jim

Hardtop Hoist

Hi DCTB,
The hoist you found on ebay is indeed the same one from Hoist Lifts. The only difference is the one you bought is operated by a manual pulley while the $284. version on Hoist Lifts site is operated with a brake winch. For some reason Hoist Lifts doesn't appear to offer the manual pulley hoist on it's web site any longer. Regardless, I feel you will be quite satisfied with the hoist system. Nothing on the system touches any of the seals or gaskets and it is very simple to use, although I recommend two people for attaching the cradle. You'll see exactly what I'm talking about when you're attaching the straps to the tubing that goes underneath the hardtop and projects from the window openings.

Good luck,
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back