Hard top problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't suppose anyone else has had this problem, but I figure I'd throw it out for comment.

When I remove my top with my EZtop hoist the driver's side top liner by the porthole pulls away from the hardtop. I've spoken with Emil at EZ top and he hasn't had any other owners report this problem. I'm wondering if maybe my top has some defective trim clips. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

KB

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have only removed my top one time (using EZTOP) and did not notice anything like that. Hope you get it fixed OK, if it is a problem

------------------
VIN 106587 White, White, with chrome hood scoop bezel

I am seriously looking into getting EZ-Top for my bird. I would love to see how it is installed. Reply and we'll set up a meeting.
Anyway I am curious to see your Zaino finish.
Thanks
Rich
Yellow Premium Full Accent

Have used EZtop lift approx 10 times
and have never noticed the problem.
Sounds almost like the arms are to far
toward the rear and not on the part of the roof where the liner touches.

Just as the top lifts from the car I have
about 3/4" from the arms to the edge of the top. Is yours positioned like this.

Let us know the result.

To2 Bird,
I have experienced the same problemon the passenger side. I did notice that this opnly happens if I leave the top in the hoisted position for 10 or more days. I did not have a problem if I leave it hung just over the weekend.
cajun bird

Originally posted by K6RU:
Received E-ZTOP electric today...installed in 3 hours (with only one twisted-off lag screw). Now the issue: top is on the storage cart.
Has anyone picked up the top from the storage cart with the lift?

I have looked at that possibility in light of the problem I experienced when leaving the top hung in the hoist for more than a few days. I have not been able to figure out a fail safe way to go from the cart to the hoist without the possibility of dropping or damaging the top. If you succeed please share with me how you did it.
cajun bird

Here is how I went from car to cart with no additional help.

(1) MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ENOUGH CABLE TO GET THE TOP TO THE FLOOR without running out of cable or having the cable come off the spool…. Do A DRY RUN without the Hardtop... lower the hoist to the floor and check the amount of cable on the spool…
(2) Remove the top.. Place (2) small pieces of foam over the pins.. to protect the pins..
(3) Lower the top to the floor…
(4) Place a 5 Gallon Bucket (upside down, with a soft pillow on top) place this under the front of the top.
(5) Lower the top and remove the hoist.
(6) Mark the position of the center and the back of the hard top on the floor.. You will need this for reinstallation.
(7) Go to the Bride’s storage closet.. Get the Softest Down Comforter you can find…
(8) Fold up the Comforter ~ 12” wide and nice and fluffy… Place this under the rear of the hard top the long way to get the comforter under the whole width of the hardtop
(9) Position the cart directly behind the hardtop… As close as you can get it to the Hardtop
(10)Stand the Hardtop up on the comforter. Making Sure that the hard top will be protected by the comforter..
(11) If you can lift the top one shot… Lift it up and place it on the cart.. If not.. Tilt the top and place it one side at a time and place it on the cart… If you’re not comfortable… You may need someone to steady the cart.

A little side note for placing the top back on:
I went to Home Depot and purchased (2) Sections of 3” pipe insulation.. Slit it and placed it around the opening for the convertible top.. To protect the paint from the pins.. Do a reverse from above to get the top on the floor…Placing it on the marks you made during removal.. Install the EZ-Top Hoist.. Lift the top above the car.. Back the car under… Lower the top.. My lift brings the front of the top down first… By just a little… Lower Gently… Start the Pins in.. Remove the insulation.. Lower and Secure.. I put the insulation around the opening to protect the paint, I case I’m a little to fast on the hoist

This worked beautifully for me… Just remember TAKE YOUR TIME…
THINK SAFETY.. If in any doubt… Get an assistant…

Sorry this was soooooo long…..

John,

I just re-installed my hardtop last Sunday, and tried your idea of expanding the clips already. It didn't really work all that well. Won't know if the clips will hold 'til the next time I hoist the top off the car. The headliner usually pops as soon as I lift the top off. If things start to squeek or rattle it's off to the dealership for new clips!

PLEASE!!! Those of you that are experiencing this problem, call Emil at EZ top. The last time I spoke with him (about 2 weeks ago) he said that I was the ONLY customer having this problem. I already knew that there was someone else from this board that had the problem, but I guess they never called about it.

If anyone discovers a "fix" for this, please e-mail me.

Thanks,

KB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back