Hard Top Problem Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

George

Passed Away July 25, 2015
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
The thread "Retofit begins for retro car" is three pages long so I've started this new one which denotes the Hard Top Problem Fix:

I read recently where there is a new film strip. Note: Your dealers may not have it yet and refer you to the old one so be careful.

The part number is 4W63-76202W30-AA. It is a kit that has 4 sets of strips with liquid bottle and foam squeege. In a leatherette case with instructions. It's called the Deluxe version. This kit is supposed to be included in all '04 trunks.

There's also another version that's a Refill-kit.

Be patient, your dealers may not yet be aware of this new fix but it's coming. There was no word as to whether it was a warranty item or not. I think if my dealer thought I was going to run with nothing and he had to repaint my deck, he would yield to the new one under warranty.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Funny . . . I just took delivery on a 2004 a little over a week ago and although I did find the tape packed between 2 pieces of cardboard, there was no bottle of liquid or any leatherette case in my trunk. Did someone at the dealership swipe these or are these not coming with the 04's?

Latest info on Tape

Spent time with my dealer and now have the "NEW" strips on order. Hopefully this will be correct this time.
He has confirmed a part number and it is slightly different from the one mentioned above.

So when you place your order use Part Number 4W6Z-76202W30-AA, Kit.

Hardtop Scuffing

I called Ford Customer Service to see if they had a knowledge of this problem and what the ultimate fix is (excluding constant repainting).
They told me that I am the first person to log a formal complaint to which I said I can't believe that and explained all the messages and various people who are experiencing this problem. They returned with please have these individuals contact us. Once we know the numbers effected we can take action.
I'll end with Ford Customer Service must live in a closet that is the only way they would not know of this problem. Everyone please call Ford C/S. You can get the phone number at ford.com "contact us". Plan on waiting for awhile.

That's the same line I got from customer support when I called a couple of months ago. It took me some time to get them to understand what I was talking about, but they did claim to record the issue. She even said it would get logged with the NHTSA.

Looks like they have a short memory on this topic.

Better Idea

OK! They have a short memory, no problem!!!:confused:
I myself only log into this forum, but according to mike biddle's site there is at least one other Thunderbird site. She seems like a really great person, and I really enjoy her site. She has a reference to another Thunderbird Forum. What if we all sent e-mails to one person, and somebody who belongs to the other forums also contacts their members about the scuffing problems, and we all tell anybody we might know who has a Thunderbird, but may not go to any forums to mail a letter to one central person, and we sent thousands of complints in one single package to both the NTSB and Ford Customer Service. There may be a NTSB requirement for a safety issue, thic could be far fetched but here goes: " scuffing increases the chance of rust, especially in coastal areas and areas where there is snow, and salted roads. Rust causes holes, holes allow carbon monoxide into the car! Far fetched, Yes, but if they will at least look at it, and Ford knows they will look at it, and a lot of luck and devine intervention we may get a permanent fix. :)

Daah

Sorry, it,s not the NTSB, it's the NHTSA. Please forgive the senior moment.

I am E-mailing a copy of my last post to mike biddle and bounce the idea off her. Since T-Bird and mike biddle seem to be leaders of the Thunderbird Owner Community maybe they will get together and contact some of the other forums and we can all work together as a single owner unit and get results. :rolleyes:

First of all. welcome Bruce Costa. It's good to see another New Englander on site.

Now, if you all just do some searches of past posts you'll see there was an article on www.wardsauto.com that indicates that Ford knows all about the issue and in fact Bill Ford himself requested a fix be made.
Of course every person manning the phones at Ford CS may not be aware of this. Ford has tried a SS Strip and a mylar strip. The customer who made the most noise, Mark Scanlon, got the SS Strip installed is very happy with it after >10K miles.
However Ford has settled on the new mylar strip. One can only assume that this decision was cost related. This new strip supposedly will be good for 50k miles which is a lot better than the ones that came with the car that are only good for 3 months.
Now what everyone needs to do is get your dealers to place their orders for the part number mentioned and take delivery so you can get them installed. I truly think your next fight will be; who pays for these.
My dealer said it will be part of warranty, but there are some people who have been told it will be $74.00. Then you will see more posts and discussion!

The post that you want to look at for that Wards article can be found by searching under "hardtop".
You will then see a series of posts related to hardtop discussion on this forum.
Open the post titled, "Retrofit Begins For Ford's Retro Car". In the very first post you can click on that article. It was first posted on 5-14-03
I hope this helps the new members to get caught up on this subject.

Hard Top Fix

I phoned my dealer today and they ordered the revised decal kit for my 03. The correct part # is 4 W6Z-76202W30-AA. One of the part #'s I saw on the topic started out 4-W63. The 3 should be a Z. My dealer is covering the cost of the part under warranty. I'm currious to learn if anyone has tried instead of the adhesive tape, using a static cling product? I wanted to put my hard top on this coming weekend but likely will wait for the revised part. There were no instructions with my orginal kit and I'm not sure I understand how the wider pieces are going to fit where it comes around the tops of the fender.
Larry

Larry: You are correct. That first number which was Ford's engineering number was corrected by me eight posts ago. Entitled "Latest info on Tape".
It appears that most people are now being told that Ford is looking for a source. If that is true, and you need an immediate fix, like most of us for the winter, then get the dealer to put the original ones on. I'm sure that they have, or can get, the instructions.
For the most part these strips must be tucked under, about 50% of the strip, the decking or else they'll show.

Thanks George, I recall when picking up my car from the dealer installation of the hardtop that there was much of the tape showing, so am wondering if I would be better off installing myself? Also, I work for a large decal manufacturer and we print on "static cling clear" material as well. Have an associate who works here that uses our static cling between the hardtop and body on his Cobra Replica, and he says it works well. Lexus also markets a clear material to prevent rock chips that goes on their headlights, and about 6"- 8" up on the front of the hood. Not sure if it is static or has adhesive. We also carry several different types of adhesive. Some permanent, and some easily removable. Seems that the clear material we use here is a bit more substantial than the tape supplied by Ford. Wish Ford provided better instructions especially knowing that part of the tape has to be wrapped under. I don't like to guess on things like this. I appreciate the information and this forum!
Larry

Larry:
I don't recall any cars being shipped withthe tape on. Possibly what you saw was a protective paper.

Anyway, if you're using the original tape, if you leave 1/2 exposed and fold the other 1/2 under I believe you should be OK then.

I would NOT use anything other than Fords solution at this time for fear of voiding warranty.

Be careful here. Some adhesives and or cling materials may create problems with the paint - "chemical reaction".

Personally, I would insist that if I had marks, which I did, I want it FIXED by a Ford dealer. Then, after it's fixed to your satisfaction, let them add the tape to protect it. Remember, you paid a lot of money so you should not have top do anything at all!

George, Thanks for the info. Actually the dealer applied the Ford tape on mine when they did final detailing after the purchase. It was not on the car when I first looked at it. I had their detail shop polish out some marks that I noticed on the deck and upper fenders but they came out. I really did not want to repaint part of a new car if we could avoid, but would hold them to it if needed. So, they worked really hard to correct which looks very good now. In fact they told me that if I was still unhappy with the look of the deck when I remove the hardtop in the Spring, they would repaint under warranty. I suspect my salesman or someone with little experience put the tape on. Since I've been in the decal business all my working career, I am very picky with decal applications etc. In fact I am picky with all details of my cars. I had planned to do this myself, but you bring up a good point, let them do it. Also you are likely right, if they see a different product used for protection, they could back out of the warranty on paint. By the way my Bird is Premium Black so any flaws are magnified on black. Thanks much for your comments.

Larry: One final word. I believe that the paint is only warranteed for the first year.

By the way, mine too is triple black premium.
Good luck, George

h-top

Hi George: On JWBIRD the only scratches so far are so miniscule you need a magnifying glass to see them (5980 miles). The old tape is a very large pain in my a-- but at least it's a functional temporary fix. My hardtop (with tape) went on today. By the way George the Chelmsford contingent of my clan is here this weekend.

Jim:
Great to hear from you again. Got your note and responded Thanks!
When you put the tape on the decking for the hard top, do you wrap half of it under the body parts so it doesn't show, or just apply it on top of the decking and let it show?

Have a good weekend with the family,
George

George,
Curious as to exactly what the change is in the new tape part I have on order from my dealership? Decided not to put my top on this weekend as the new tape is supposed to be in within the week. I also cut some matching pieces of the original tape in a static cling clear material that I may experiment with as well. Unsure of how the widest part of the tape is going to work on the corners? Hope the new tape that is coming has more detailed instructions with it. I think top down driving is just about over in the Kansas City area where I am.

tape

Same here George. In response to your Q, I let the tape overlap the soft-top-well (boot) by about a 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch so that it's not visible after the top is seated. I hate not being able to put the top down, but I have to admit JWBIRD is a beautifully different animal with her hard top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back