Front license plate reconsidered

Status
Not open for further replies.
P
RATS!!! My city (San Francisco) has decided to increase its fines, starting January 1, for a number of non-moving violations. Among other things, the city upped the fine for not having a front license plate from $25 to $100! (It seems that they want to be able to catch the plates of red-light runners on camera at monitored intersections.) California in general requires a front license plate, but I had opted to simply "forget" to install it, considering that I bought my Thunderbird out of state and I don't have a front license plate bracket anyway. But now that S.F. will be ever-vigilant to tag me, I'm reconsidering. Or maybe I can just make sure I make a mad dash for the city limits every time I take my car out!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

My car didn't come with a front bracket for the plate. When I went back to the dealer last week the newer ones have it listed on the window sticker and I opened the truck and there one was. I talked them into giving it to me, it's black, but I'm going to paint it yellow to match the car. The bracket don't look too bad, its molded plastic and conforms to the bumper. If I don't like it installed I will take it and make a mold with fiberglass and mold it into the bumper and re-spray the complete bumper. Has anyone done this yet?

I have also been driving my Miata for the last 5 years in Northern Calif. without a front plate, and never been stopped. And when my Blue/Blue comes in I'll keep on driving with one plate. (At least until I get stopped).

------------------
Blue/Blue Prem. w/full accent
2 of 2 no vin. and still waiting

K6RU and Howlee, you have given me hope about California in general. Thank you. Of course, San Francisco itself is going to be ultra-vigilant, but I guess I'll stick with Plan B, and just peel rubber getting out of S.F. whenever I take the car out for a spin!
smile.gif

In Los Angeles it serves as a valid legal reason to pull someone over--LAPD has greater concerns. However, your red light problem is real in S.F. and you should be careful.

Tell them you bought the car out of state and the front plate bracket was not yet made for the bird. Maybe soem judge might cut you some slack.

Unfortunately, I think they can cite you while parked for that problem. You can get a car cover for your car when it is parked which will conceal the front plate and show the rear plate through plastic. Might work for those times you have to park in the street.

Good luck.

RT2ESQ
Triple Black #1049

Paula I feel your pain.

On the BON board I posted my experience with lack of front plate on a car way back in'91.

You Will Lose in Court and have the fine PLUS the Court costs and your lost time and emotional distress added to the situation.

My advise for all who cherish the car above the laws of the State you reside, DON'T Break The Law. Declining revenues, increasing road crimes will put your lucky days behind you and NO ONE IS REALLY ABOVE THE LAW!

Wear your front plate when required or "If you do the crime you do the time"!

------------------
'56 + '02 Birds

For you who need the front plate, tie it on with bailing twine and let it flap in the wind. At least it is on the car. Hear they do this in the south all the time. "Just Kidding for our friends in the south.

------------------
Blue on Blue Prem. STILL WAITING Ordered in Jan. 7of12 NOW 4of12
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond
Got Vin. 109293 Build Date 01/14

-

One of the elder gentlemen in the Classic Thunderbird club told me that he hated the way the front plate looked on a c*rvette that he once owned. (In Texas, the front plate is required.) He took his front plate, mounted it on the holder that had never been put on the car, and drove over it. He kept in the "trunk" of the v*tte. He told me he got stopped once for speeding, and the officer told him he needed the front plate. He pulled it out of the trunk, said it had fallen off, and had been run over. He did get the ticket for speeding, but not for the missing front plate. I'm going to get a front bracket from something at a junk yard, mount my front plate on it, and do the same thing. I don't like the way it looks, and I sure don't want holes drilled in the front bumper. I'm safe for awhile, since I still have the new paper tags on my car...

On My 89 Supercoupe I used plumber tape the flexible metal with holes in it and just attached it to the bottom underside of the bumper and attached the plate to it. You could also put your plate on the bracket and have it in the trunk and say you are waiting for installation bolts. In Iowa people are so in awe of the car that I dont think the law will bother me.

Gobird;

Here in the South we have progressed beyond the bailing wire days. We have gone high tech and now use duct tape to install our tags. This works on either the bumper or windshield. It's been almost a year now and I am still "waitingimpaitently" for my baby in blue.

------------------
Courage - and shuffle the cards

TbirdMarty, you mean 200mph tape don't you. I'm a NASCAR fan.

------------------
Blue on Blue Prem. STILL WAITING Ordered in Jan. 7of12 NOW 4of12
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond
Got Vin. 109293 Build Date 01/14

Gobird;

I didn't know if there were enough NASCAR fans on this site to warrant calling it by that name. By the way it's only 41 days until the good ole' boys hit the track at Daytona. Don't you wish NASCAR would allow Ford to enter the Thunderbird & retire that sorry excuse for a race car Taurus?

------------------
Courage - and shuffle the cards

YES and I'd like to see Mr. Bill driving one to. Not that thing he drives now. I guess you do what you have to do. I sent Bill an email to see if he bought a 02 Bird but didn't get an answer back. Guess he can't talk about Fords anymore.

We are still running without the front plate here in MD after three months with no problems. As soon as I get the bracket painted to match the car, we are going to have a local custom shop install the "rig" I mentioned earlier-It will tie the bracket into the frame, but will float in front of the car. This will save drilling the holes in the fascia. Red light cameras are now big in this area, so I geuss the chance of MD going to just one plate is nil. There is a big steel lobby in the area too. I'll keep the forum posted on the results.

Skip

Red/Red/Red Premium
miwsiomdufc

Skip,

Thanks. I am interested in whether the MD state lawmen are really hard over having a front plate attached and am interested in your "rig". I saw a black bird at Ron Bortnick's Ford in Upper Marlboro. It had the front plate attached at I think it really detracted from the styling of the front grill.

I'll make a public promise to Mr. Glendening right here and now that I won't run a red light (especially where there's a camera), if I am allowed to run my bird without a front plate... :)

Tommy T
blue/blue

In Texas, I beleive it is legal to merely have your front plate in "plain visible view" which means it can be attached to the inside of the windsheild on the lower right with suction cups and ought to be ok. (which can also be easily removed temporarily for photos, etc.) This is what my friend did for his 2001 civic. We also found out that it is legal in Texas to have white blinkers, as opposed to amber in case you want to clear them.

I don't know, I guess I'm going too get jumped on for this, but I never even thought about not putting the plate on the front of the car. The dealer had the bracket already on the car. Some of the ideas expressed on this topic don't sound better the the one that is meant for the car. I hope you are kidding about some of them. Strings, wires, suction cups?

------------------
2002 Black/Black/Full Red
1957 Starmist Blue

IL requires the front license plate to be on the car. When I went to pick up the car the dealer asked if I wanted it to be placed. I wasnt sure what to do so I asked his opinion. He basically said it has been his experience that you will not get a ticket from a police officer if you do not smart off when he is questioning you about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back