Front License Plate Holder Removal | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Front License Plate Holder Removal

• Thread starter Thread starter Craig
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
😛 I just purchased a 2003 with soft and hard tops , bright red, with premimum interior. I live in a state that does not have a front license plate, but the dealer that sold the car ordered it with a license plate holder, which they plastered with a dealership plate. When I took the plate off I found that that ugly holder is pop rivited on with plastic pop rivits. Is there any way to get it off, and fill the holes. As the front license plate holder is on the window sticker I assume that it was put on in the factory. Has anybody had any help from Ford in fixing this ugly mistake and resulting holes? Any Ideas of how to do this without having to have the bumper cover replaced, or filled and repainted?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Sounds to me like this was a dealer transfer. Dealer bought from another dealer who had to many cars. Most likely bought from a dealer that is in a state that requires front plates.

Thank you gentlemen. The car was purchased by the dealership where i bought it, and they did order the front license plate holder. Even though this state does not require front plates. Anything to advertise. There was the dealership plate on the front, and a cast dealership name plate stuck on the back bumper with an American flag decal next to it, thank heaven they both came off. This dealership does alot of advertising This dealership is proud of the fact that they won an award for the worst commercial. The owner was standing in front of an elephant holding a mouse and Hans said in a thick German accent Houmongus savings teenie weenie prices. I wrote Ford too, lets see what their reply is. 😱

Even though a front plate is required in Virginia, my dealer didn't mount the bracket. When I was doing final inspection, the sales guy said "we didn't put the front license plate bracket on because we think the car looks better without it, don't you agree?" And I do. I have gone without it since 7-24-02 without a problem. The police have bigger fish to fry. I know it's likely that one day I'll get stopped for it, but the car sure looks sharp without it.

Want Opinions on Resolution

Finally heard from the Ford dealership. This is their offer. Take the car to any body shop, my choice, and get car fixed.

They take the car back, no money out of my pocket.

I am thinking option 1, if it is bumper cover replacement.

Hey Craig
I live in TEXAS has 2 plates. Bracket installed when I got my 03. Had to remove bracket to put Xpel on front. after removing screws Ford said needed to by new brackets to reinstall and had to go to local hardware for special butterfly bolts. I guess if they drilled bracket in a one plate state , they need to repair. Good luck. But I doubt you will use the option to return your bird.
Best
Dennis

I live in a "front-plate-state". Bought the car on a Saturday in December, they planned to prep it on Mon. Just before driving away on Sat. I told salesman not to put front bracket on or I'd cancel the sale. Picked up the car on Tues.😎

P.S. I was pulled over for 47mph in a 30 zone last night, got a warning (I think my 7 yr. old's charm got me off) and nothing was said about lack of front plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back