Front Disc conversion on 57 | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Front Disc conversion on 57

• Thread starter Thread starter Koya
  • Start date Start date
K
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
This T-Bird is for my wife, but I will do all the maintenance and work on it. Has anyone with 57 done a front brake disc conversion? Can you share any experience you've have?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

This T-Bird is for my wife, but I will do all the maintenance and work on it. Has anyone with 57 done a front brake disc conversion? Can you share any experience you've have?
I'm having the same problem finding a disc brake conversion for my 57 T-bird. It seems that all available units require that you must change to 15" wheels, from the standard 14" - this makes a $1,500 to $2000.00 expense rise to about $5000.00. You will have to replace your wheels and tires as apparently no one makes a rotor or caliper to fit within a
standard 14" wheel. Two that I am looking at are from Thunderbird Brake parts, front disc only list at $1,199.00, but you
will have to move your master cylinder to the trunk. The other is Jameco Parts, part #DBC5557T-14 casting $849.95.
Both claim that they will work on most 14" wheels. Anyone else have any ideas?

I'm having the same problem finding a disc brake conversion for my 57 T-bird. It seems that all available units require that you must change to 15" wheels, from the standard 14" - this makes a $1,500 to $2000.00 expense rise to about $5000.00. You will have to replace your wheels and tires as apparently no one makes a rotor or caliper to fit within a
standard 14" wheel. Two that I am looking at are from Thunderbird Brake parts, front disc only list at $1,199.00, but you
will have to move your master cylinder to the trunk. The other is Jameco Parts, part #DBC5557T-14 casting $849.95.
Both claim that they will work on most 14" wheels. Anyone else have any ideas?
I am not sure where you are looking for disc brake conversions unless you are pricing a four-wheel conversion. Front disc brake conversions seem to be more in the $600 range. And yes many can accommodate 14" wheels. On mine I did use a 1/4" spacer in front to clear the calipers. I preferred to use my original wheels. I I used later model 14" wheels for an originally disc brake equipped car I would not have needed the spacers.

Hi Jack - can you give me the name of the disk brake conversion provider? The prices that I quoted were for front disc
brake conversion parts only. I just returned from Cruising the Coast and talked with several providers for disc brake
conversions. They all said that they do not supply a disc brake conversion kit for a 1957 T-bird with 14" wheels. Then during the Vicari Auto Auction I met a fellow named Ray D. Can't find his business card in all the stuff I haven't unpacked. He said that Hill's Thunderbird sells a kit that he uses on all of his 1957 T-Birds. Ray restores and sells
tri-five Thunderbirds from Lafayette, Louisiana.

Here's what I found through Larry's Thunderbird. The kit came complete, which included a new wheel cylinder for the rear brakes. You will have do a little grinding on the spindle in order for the caliper mount bolts to line up. The kit also came with a new master cylinder and all the lines are stainless steel braided.

Attachments

• Disc conversion (1).jpg
    Disc conversion (1).jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2
  • Disc conversion (2).jpg
    Disc conversion (2).jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 2
  • Disc conversion (3).jpg
    Disc conversion (3).jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
Back