Status
Not open for further replies.
tbird

tbird

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
The commercial with the exotic sports car and the Bird is awesome. I was wondering where they were going with it. For those who missed, both cars are stopped, a girl gets out of the exotic car that would obviously roast the T-Bird to start the race, they rev then engines, and when the race begins, the bird sits still and the girl ends up in the Tbird while the exotic car speeds off. Awesome!

I think the commercial is at http://media.ford.com/products/press_article_display.cfm?article_id=10039&v ehicle_id=463&make_id=92

You can also use Internet Explorer or Windows Media Player to open mms://209.185.159.119/detroitautoshow99/ford_concept_0103_288.asf the auto show intro.

T-Bird

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

In case everyone missed it, the car was a Lamborghini-beautiful car-but I prefer the T-Bord!

------------------

Birdman93, You mean you wouldn't like the Lambo for a Sun. drive now and then.

------------------
Blue on Blue Prem. STILL WAITING Ordered in Jan. 7of12
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond

OOPS! I didn't realize I had misspelled T-Bird!!

And no, I wouldn't want the Lambo for a occasional playtoy-If I had that much to throw away, I would have to go with a McLaren F1 or a Saleen S7. I happen to prefer the F1 due to it's ability to carry three people, plus I was able to drive one a couple of years back-you want to talk about a car that will push you back into your seat!!

------------------

Boy, who do you know that you can wrangle a drive in $1,000,000 car? Please intoduce me.
smile.gif

In case anyone missed it, there's an obvious reference to the scene in Rebel Without a Cause where Natalie Wood plays the girl who starts a game of "chickie" by taking off her scarf and dropping it between the two cars. James Dean won that race by avoiding going over he cliff. Too bad his Porsche Spyder wasn't equipped with some of the Thunderbird's safety features in real life.

The McLaren I hooked a ride in was in Germany for a promotional event-I was still in the Navy at the time, and the owner had always wanted to do one thing-Ride with a Blue Angel. I arranged the ride with a Blue Angel pilot through a buddy who was then the PIO with the Angels.

That was the price or the drive in the F1, which took place at the Nurburgring facility. We took her out on the track, and I started getting nervous at 160mph. Then we switched places, and Mike, the owner of the F1, took the car up to a blistering 205mph. Now I know how the drivers see the track at that speed!

------------------

The commercial is downloadable on the Ford Thunderbird website for those of you who want to see it. Apparently, it debuted during a football game and there is press information on it.

Also, Ford is launching a series of interactive stories called "Let the Stories begin" about the driver of the Bird in the commercial. They are releasing them in pieces.

Check out Ford website under thunderbird.

RT2ESQ

We had a good thread going on the bon when that commercial aired. I taped the whole game just so I wouldn't miss the commercial. As it was, running back & forth between the tv and this computer, I missed the commercial so was glad I made the tape.
Someone else on the bon board loaded the Ford file to another site because it wasn't loading well from the Ford site. Will have to look for that thread.

For anyone who wants to see the commercial, I have it saved on my 3rd harddrive-let me know and I'll send it to you.

BTW-I was incorrect on the type of car that the Bird was up against-it's one of the new Ferraris-but I'm not sure what model.

Hmmm-I take that back-I just replayed the ad for the 75th time-it looks like the new lambo that just came out this year-kinda nice that they decided to compare it with the Thunderbird!!

------------------

David-

I believe you're right-I just checked out the Lotus Esprit V-8-pretty much the same car as in the ad-just different wheels.

------------------

Originally posted by Birdman93:
Andyman-

The Thunderbird has had the nicker "Thunder Chicken" for a long time.

When I was selling Ford's back in the ole day... hehe.... I remember refering to them as Thunder Chickens casually. Also there was the Ford Exploder, which was long before the Explorer tire problems were exposed.

TBird

tbird-

You ever listen To Paul Harvey? He was telling the story one time about this woman who had filed suit against Ford for an Unsafe Pinto-before they were known to explode. Seems the car was crossing an intersection when the suspension gave out, leaving the four women stopped in the middle of the crossing. The owner of the car filed suit within 3 months, claiming that the car she had was unsafe with 4 passengers riding in it. During the "Rest of the Story" that afternoon, Mr Harvey revealed that the case had been thrown out of court, because the defense attorney was able to argue without any doubt that the four women had seriously overloaded the vehicle. Seems the 4 in question each weighed well over 400lbs, with a combined passenger weight of 2300lbs-in a car that allowed only 1400lbs to passengers and cargo!!!
ROFLMAO

------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back