Ford T-Bird sales not flying | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Ford T-Bird sales not flying

• Thread starter Thread starter NMJeff
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I think the article sums up consumer sentiment. The car is a hit with those old enough to have enjoyed the '55-'57 Birds, but meaningless to those younger who are unimpressed with is toy like appearance and mediocre interior. Perhaps a bit of style refreshing with a more forward rather than reto appearance will help. Sounds like a buyers market with perhaps incentives and zero financing is not far away.

First and foremost, cruising ocean avenue last summer in my BluBird was well worth the price of admission.

Ford on the other hand BLEW IT. 5000 extra production of '02s in the late fall is just dumb! So now we have 2's and 3's cluttering the dealer lots covered in snow. Who made this great overproduction decision at FoMOCo . . .lets sic the nudos on him/her.

Hurry spring so this won't matter anymore.

I am very happy I bought my T-bird. No regrets.

Having said this, I think the biggest problem was all the insane dealer markups that were going on. I was "lucky" to pay sticker last spring when many people were still paying fairly significant markups. The result of the markups (which, by the way, was $18K at a dealership in Fairfax, VA for almost all of 2002) was that the T-bird got stained with the blemish of the greedy dealers. Anyone agree?

p.s. The dealer in Annandale, VA has 6 T-birds on the lot, including two of the grey 2003s. My guess is that you could get one today (last day of a winter month) for more than $1500 under sticker as suggested by the article in this post.

btw, great article -- thanks for sharing this.

A few thoughts on slow sales. I agree that Ford should not have dumped an extra 5,000 or so units in the fall of 02. They should of made these 03's with the extra horsepower. Let's face it, why would you want to by an 02 at 252 horsepower when there is an abundance of 03 models available to choose from at 280 horse. However, the dealers are also to blame for some of the slow sales. We odered our 02 prior to Ford's announced pricing. When it came in we were told $5k over sticker. This was from a dealer where our family had purchased 26 vehicles over the past 30 years. Well we told them to sell the car to someone else and they promptly did. Now, better than a year later, we will be placeing our order with a different dealer and maybe by the time it comes in there will be discounts or incentives. In the mean time I have been perfectly happy driving our 99 Mustang Cobra, our 95 T-bird or the Lincoln LS for that matter.

------------------
Birthday Bird

thaser....I ditto your comments on the insane dealer mark up. Where my life long dealer only wanted to charge me $5,000 over sticker they were more than willing to ask $10,000 over to a "new" customer. Somehow it just didn't make me feel warm and fuzzy enough to buy from them!

------------------
Birthday Bird

FYI Our New 03 has arrived, dealer called today and Red, Red , prem Accent is here. Oct 02 when we orderd it prices were MSRP. Now all over the US prices are at -1500 to - 3000 MSRP. I will know in a or so day after We get down to a real price. I feel it will be a buyers market in 2-3 months. Perhaps even the big rebates as on other vehicles.

MIDAS....what an exciting time now that your T-Bird is in. I think there are a number of future buyers on this site who would be interested in the price you negotiate from MSRP. However, we also realize that this is your business. Maybe you could tell us if the dealer held to the original MSRP deal or if you were able to negotiate a deal you were okay with.

Thanks Birthday Bird
Wife & I saw it Sat and went to our small ranch nearby. Left the car till next week so they could show it and have people Oggle it.
WE LOVE THE COLOR COMBINATION. Price wise they did a better deal than I thought (promised not to tell) I do not think I could have bought a loaded 02 for what we paid. Several Austin dealers still have 02's and 03's Will not talk $$$ deals. Houston, Dallas Etc will.I dealt with a small town dealer, that I know, and would recommend them anytime. Interested ,Private E mail or call me. Have been making room for our bird in the nest ( garage). Never have had a car in ours in 30+ years. It's a first.
The newest sticker prices are up some from Dec 02 about 300.
Dennis

Originally posted by MIDAS:
Thanks Birthday Bird
Price wise they did a better deal than I thought (promised not to tell)

You are not serious are you? hehe

TBird
Dead serious! I am very happy with the price.
Dealer must make some money to stay in business. Not a lot but holdback is 1300 on a T Bird, Blue Oval ++ and FDAF some more. Oh yes it would be better if it were feee, BUT not going to happen. If Ford comes out with rebates and all then my deal will not really be that good. Thats the luck of the draw. Still We will have our "Bird" and be happy.

Originally posted by MIDAS:
TBird
Dead serious! I am very happy with the price.

I think "don't tell anyone else" is kinda like a lame saleman thing. Seems like I've heard it before.

These dealers are paying interest on the floorplan in the middle of the winter, I'm sure they would take any buyers they could get.

TBird
You are correct, The do not tell has been said many times. I too said it as a salesman for Ford Products. Still here in Texas our "winter" is a few cold days. Today had lite drizzel and temp 65-70 Sun in PM. NO SNOW or sleet this far south. Exception if we do. Even saw a few Convts with tops down Sat. Yes dealers pay Int & want to move the iron. Still in this area they are keeping the price up. Chin Up, Enjoy yourself. What salesman would not take all deals presented. Boss may think different.
Thanks
Dennis

T-Bird discounting is amazing in LA!

There's a glut of 02's sitting on the lots, not selling. One dealer is advertising $5,265 off sticker in the LA Times. Another offers a flat $4,000 off sticker on any '02 T-bird.

Even '03's are being discounted. One dealer started by saying, "We get $4,000 over sticker on our '03's." Not quite, Mr. Salesman. Three dealers have offered me the Premium Edition at over $2,500 off sticker. A sales lady at one dealer said, "We're glad you're here. We almost never sell a T-Bird." They have 13 in stock.

In LA, at least it's now a buyers market. And don't blame it on winter...it's been in the 70's, 80's, and even low 90's out here all winter. Perfect convertible weather.

I think I'll buy my Bird this weekend...at a great price!

Per my message above, I bought an '03 this weekend....at $2,300 off sticker. One dealer offered me $4,000 off sticker for any '03 car on the lot...but I didn't find the color I wanted.

'02's are still being discounted in LA at well over $5,000 off sticker.

For whatever reason, there are lots of '02's and even '03's out there. Be smart - don't pay sticker, or even close to it!

So beicholz, we know that you were able to get $2300 off sticker. That's great. What color did you get? Also, anyone else willing to share what they are paying for the 03's.

------------------
Birthday Bird

In reply to Birthday Bird...

I got Whisper White out and the new Whisper White inside. I waited (and paid a little more) for the Whisper White interior, because it's gorgeous. It's black leather with white trim...top of steering wheel, Shifter, Seat Inserts. It's very sporty - but not "over the top".

I love this car more each day. It feels like a quality European or Japanese car, not like the American cars I've owned in the past. It's great to buy American again! Hope the reliablity holds up.

My dealer up here in the cold white north just sold an 02. The new owner had a 01 mustang GT convertable. This dealer has not recieved any of his 03 allotment yet! He tells me he took of aprox $4500 US of the list price. Other area dealers stuck with a few 02's are advertising about $6500US off sticker.
I am sure when spring rolls around and 03's can't be found the 02 prices will get healty again.
I wrote to Ford of Canada to complain about flooding a full market with 02's in October and November, which to me was a marketing blunder. Will let you know if I get a responce.

------------------
Blue/Blue/Full accent
NM wheels Canada
notadailydriver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back