Ford dealership wants $2,600 to get our 2002 running...HELP

Delmily

Delmily

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
We purchased our 2002 from the original owner last February with 72K miles. We've put maybe 1000 miles on it and have kept it stored. We went to take it for a spin a week or so ago and out of the blue it wouldn't start. It would crank and crank and not fire. It was like trying to start a car that's out of gas. I checked ran down most of the easy tips I found on the forum including the emergency fuel cut off and fuel pump fuses and nada.

I finally gave up and had it towed to the local dealership and after two days of diagnostic fees we were given an estimate of around $2600 to replace a rear electronic multi-function module that supposedly isn't communicating with the fuel pump(s). I've searched the forum for any threads on this part and get no results so I'm very concerned that the dealership is taking us for a ride.

Any insights are GREATLY appreciated

MODERATOR Note 2019- Here is a thread on changing the fuel pump with a video- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/threads/2002-t-bird-fuel-pump-replacement.5906/

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have a similar problem. My 2002 has 89K miles. I bought it 4 years ago and have only put about 1000 miles on it since I got it. It usually sits for long periods of time and a couple weeks go I tried starting it and it just turns over. The battery was dead and I was unable to jump start so I got a new battery. Still just cranks without firing. I've tried everything. Tried starting with both keys, checked security system, checked all fuses, on so on. Maybe when I jumped the car something happened. There is plenty of gas in the car. I'm about to get it towed to see what the issue is but it seems like it is something simple. I've thought it could be a computer issue. Have you had any luck with your car? Anyone else out there know what is going on?

When you crank the engine go under the hood and see if you can smell gas, if you can then the pump is working, if ot then could be something to do with the pumps. When a car turns but doesn't start generally its two things, fuel not getting through or no spark to ignite the mixture. So could be what ever sends the fuel through or could be the ignition module (years ago it would be either the distributor cap or the coil but they don't have those now). I would check online to see how much replacements would cost and see if you can swap them out yourself.

Jumping the car rarely does anything wrong as long as the positive cable was connected to the original battery point.

Thanks for the tips. I don't smell gas under the hood so I don't believe fuel is not getting there. I have not checked for spark but one thing I do notice is that when I crank the engine the tachometer does not move at all. I would expect some engine RPM as I attempt to start. Could this be a timing chain problem?

Also, thanks for the note regarding the jump start. I've been jump starting cars for years and have never had a problem. I know I connected everything correctly in this case.

The only trouble you can get from jumping cars is getting a jump from a diesel vehicle as they require a higher voltage and amps.

As for the tachometer that will not show anything until the car actually runs so count that out.

What you could do is take a coil and plug out, try starting it and then check for the smell of gas but be careful, you don't want to do it for more than a few seconds just in case of fire. I would locate the module for the fuel pump (or fuse) remove or disconnect it then try to see if it makes the same noises or results. If its the same then that may be ir but if for example it then makes no noise or is different then may not be that. Like anything with cars its a case of elimination.

Six months ago my with wife Text me the TBird is dead on the side of the road. (Ford: Found On Road Dead). Anyway; Got it towed, got it fixed, back on the road. The fuel pump failed.

Last month I got another text, TBird cranks but won't start. Once again it's a fuel supply issue. This time it was the fuel module, the monitoring and brains of the fuel system. The module is easier to get to and a faster fix for sure. My bill was $340.

Suggest you find some guy that knows these TBirds; dose good work and doesn't try taking you to the cleaners for ever issue.

And if you not supper handy with a multi meter just lessen for the fuel pump to crank on just before egnition. Not the most technical of procedures, might have to have somebody do the key turning whine your craned in the rear, but it's a way of getting it done.

If 12 v is to the pumps (there are two), then use an ohmmeter to see if the pump has continuity. Double checks.

And of course don't do a me and forget to change the fuel filter (DUH), did that and suddenly she started stalling when turning right. When it dawned on me I smacked my forehead and realized, swapped a new one in (cheap basic one at autozone about $6) works like new. Must remember to start swapping them out each year to be safe, this one ran for a few years so not bad.

Back