First Oil CHange & Checkup | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

First Oil CHange & Checkup

• Thread starter Thread starter HKS
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
HKS
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
I live in the Midwest. Soon I will return the Tbird to the dealer for the 3000 mile oil change. I have always done this myself. What do they sock you for the first oil change and sheduled maintenance?

HKS

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

My first service cost $55 (7 quarts of oil @$3.92 each, filter---$16.91) including labor and tax. The estimate was $25.

The second service cost less (because I complained). Oil (6 qts. @$2.25, filter--$14.09).

WOW Sauernote $55 seems awfully high and too much oil, engine capacity according to the manual is 6 qts. My 1st change was free and my 2nd around $30.

------------------
Jim Williams
red/red/std blk premium #2 of 2 VIN 1FAHP60A62Y111592
Mass. tag JWBIRD

55 is what you are charged for the oil and maint process. [tire rotation too i think is somehere in there, check you manual]

oil & filter change alone is a lot less.

my dealer gives you the first oil check free.

shop around for prices and then ask the ford dealer to match the lowest price.

My first oil change at the dealer who sold me the car was $19.95 They charge that same price on all Ford vehicles with the exception of the Power Stroke Diesel. I worked for this dealer for 5 1/2 years and on the oil change they broke even about 50% of the time and lost money the other 50% of the time. But they use this cheap oil change to get your vehicle in the door so they can look it over. They find lots of other work that is in need during an oil change like brakes, oil leaks, coolant leaks, etc. Whether it be warranty or customer pay, they relate their findings to the owners and make the needed repairs if authorized by the owner.

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

My first oil change (1900 miles) was free -- from the dealer where I bought the car. Second oil change (5200 miles) was $39 -- at a dealer much closer to my house.

My first oil and filter change (2100 miles) was $22.95 at my dealer. A local auto supply store wanted about $35 to special order the filter. Go figure.

I picked up a brochure on Ford 5W20 Oil. It specified that this synthetic mix oil should not be used in the 3.9L Lincoln LS. What kind of 5W20 Oil do they put in the Tbird? What kind of Oil should I take with me on my 3500 mile trip next April? I always take a quart since I never find the right Oil when I need it.

HKS

Originally posted by txktom:
My first oil and filter change (2100 miles) was $22.95 at my dealer. A local auto supply store wanted about $35 to special order the filter. Go figure.

-

Lon, would like to thank-you for that tip you gave us all awhile back, if the shift leaver will not release, with the engine running. It happened to me for the first time the other day, turned the engine off, went to the first position with the key, released the shift leaver, to neutral, started and got my self home. this is the only time this has happpened, and only a block from the house too. I'll mention it at my up commiing 12000 service and let them look at it. probably wount find anything, but there can be a record of it I guess. thanks again. John

------------------
Blue/Blue Prem. w/full accent
1/25 #6333
LIC: BLU TB

I was quoted an estimate of $29, but was charged $45. Asked why and they told me it had to take synthetic oil. Now they are saying I need to come back 3,000 mis. later. Aren't you supposed to be good for 5,000 mis. with the synthetic oil???

Howlee I am glad it worked for you. Like I said previously, I had not tried it in the T-Bird but figured it was just like all the Fords. Its nice when you can help somebody out of a little jam.

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

Lon,

Thanks for the tip on Motorcraft Oil at Wall Mart.

HKS

Originally posted by LON O'CONNELL:
Howlee I am glad it worked for you. Like I said previously, I had not tried it in the T-Bird but figured it was just like all the Fords. Its nice when you can help somebody out of a little jam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back