2005 50K mikes Oil Leak and Other Repairs

Marianne
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My 2005 TBird has an oil leak, possibly more than one. I have heard that this is a bad thing to have happen. It can be very costly to repair and doesnt always last long. I've been told it can be thousands of dollars to fix?

It also needs bushings for the ball joints. They are all torn and need replacement.

Then as I drove home, the car misfired and the wrench and engine light came on.
Any advice?

I drove it to the service dealer I use. I was only a mile away and I crept over there and left it .
Tomorrow any advice about what to ask and what I should expect to pay?

Thanks for any advice!
Marianne
Sarasota Florida

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone,

Sorry for the late time but I have a question and hope some of you can give me advice.

My 2005 TBird has an oil leak, possibly more than one. I have heard that this is a bad thing to have happen. It can be very costly to repair and doesnt always last long. I've been told it can be thousands of dollars to fix?

It also needs bushings for the ball joints. They are all torn and need replacement.

Then as I drove home, the car misfired and the wrench and engine light came on.
Any advice?

I drove it to the service dealer I use. I was only a mile away and I crept over there and left it .
Tomorrow any advice about what to ask and what I should expect to pay?

Thanks for any advice!
Marianne
Sarasota Florida
Hi Marianne, I’m also here in Sarasota and take my 2004 to Steve’s Auto onPalmer Road.(941) 371-1542. Keith runs the show there and I know he’s honest and trustworthy. I try to do any work I can but sometimes repairs are out of my realm of expertise. The worse oil leak now, after replacing every gasket that I could get too, is the rear main seal. The transmission has to be dropped to get to it thus very expensive. If your ignition coils haven’t been replaced yet, that’s usually the culprit with engine misses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Marianne, I’m also here in Sarasota and take my 2004 to Steve’s Auto onPalmer Road.(941) 371-1542. Keith runs the show there and I know he’s honest and trustworthy. I try to do any work I can but sometimes repairs are out of my realm of expertise. The worse oil leak now, after replacing every gasket that I could get too, is the rear main seal. The transmission has to be dropped to get to it thus very expensive. If your coils haven’t been replaced yet, that’s usually the culprit with engine misses. I love my Bird, but as an owner, you have to expect to Fix Or Repair Daily. (FORD) Feel free to call me if I can help. T.Riggs. (941) 600-4493
Hi Marianne, I’m also here in Sarasota and take my 2004 to Steve’s Auto onPalmer Road.(941) 371-1542. Keith runs the show there and I know he’s honest and trustworthy. I try to do any work I can but sometimes repairs are out of my realm of expertise. The worse oil leak now, after replacing every gasket that I could get too, is the rear main seal. The transmission has to be dropped to get to it thus very expensive. If your coils haven’t been replaced yet, that’s usually the culprit with engine misses. I love my Bird, but as an owner, you have to expect to Fix Or Repair Daily. (FORD) Feel free to call me if I can help. T.Riggs. (941) 600-4493
Thank you for the info. I had to bring it to the Lincoln dealer because it was close and the wrench light was on. So I’ll let them fix that problem. I bought my 2005 6 years ago and have replaced all 8 coils. Do they need to be replaced again?

Anyway, once that problem is fixed, I will take the car to your place for the oil leaks and bushings. Thanks so much!

Any idea how much I may have to spend for these repairs?

I bought my 2005 6 years ago and have replaced all 8 coils.

Any idea how much I may have to spend for these repairs?
If they didn't replace the valve cover gasket and it was leaking, they could be ruined again. Read the COPS Page- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...underbird-ignition-coils-cop.5040/#post-31709

You will find out the cost when the dealership calls you. Write down what is wrong or have them print or email and estimate. You can take it somewhere else for a second opinion. I think someone responded above and gave you a number. Obviously the dealership charges top dollar.

Last edited:
If they didn't replace the valve cover gasket and it was leaking, they could be ruined again. Read the COPS Page.

You will find out the cost when the dealership calls you. Write down what is wrong or have them print or email and estimate. You can take it somewhere else for a second opinion. I think someone responded above and gave you a number. Obviously the dealership charges top dollar.
Thanks so much. I know nothing at all about these things, but I’m wondering if all my problems may be related. They are saying I have oil leaks and now my engine is misfiring. When they relaxed each coil I was under an extended warranty so they only fixed whatever the code diagnosed. So one coil at a time. They never replaced or mentioned the valve cover gasket in 6 years. Can that be the oil leak and also causing coils to fail?

I hope I’m not appearing too dumb. Just worried that this may be a lot of money. The dealer charges $195 an hour for labor!

I hope I’m not appearing too dumb. Just worried that this may be a lot of money. The dealer charges $195 an hour for labor!
It will definitely be a lot at the dealership! You are not dumb, but you need to read if you want to learn. The answer to your question is in my post above.

Back