Fails AC Compressor in 2004 T-Bird

tomstoysy2k

tomstoysy2k

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Has anyone ever heard, seen, or had an AC Compressor “Crack”? My car only has 22k miles on her. I took it to my mechanic for something else but after getting it up on his lift he saw the fluids poring out. Now I have a new AC Compressor and a bunch on cash less in my wallet.

Has anyone ever heard, seen, or had an AC Compressor “Crack”? My car only has 22k miles on her. I took it to my mechanic for something else but after getting it up on his lift he saw the fluids poring out. Now I have a new AC Compressor and a bunch on cash less in my wallet.
\\

Yes, Burnt up ------------$700 fix.

My car only has 22k miles on her.

Your car is also 17-18 years old depending on build date. Enough time to go from Kindergarten to Graduating High School. You are only 2,000 miles shy of being able to drive the entire circumference of Earth one time.

Those things fail by little rubber parts, seals and clutches going bad. they never crack. If it had cracked by itself it would have long ago been out of fluids.
Since he saw fluids coming out it must have cracked while up on his hoist.

The A/C compressor is only 113.99 with coupon, so they get you on labor & system vacuum.

Here is the compressor and drier. Most A/C techs recommend you replace the drier when you replace the compressor! Click here to view all compressor & drier parts.

If you want a the OEM Motorcraft compressor click here for Amazon or click here for Ebay
Screenshot_20210323-170235_Amazon Shopping.jpg
ford-thunderbird-drier.jpg

Last edited:
I had an a/c compressor fail, only because it was an aftermarket replacement. Since I am the second owner of mine, I don't have record as to what happened to the original. Needless to say, I purchased a new Motorcraft a/c unit & had it Motorcraft authorized installed, two years ago. Smooth sailing since!

Last edited by a moderator:
I went with motorcraft too. $425, I have a car warranty that covered almost all of the whole thing. I had some other things done too.

I had an a/c compressor fail, only because it was an aftermarket replacement. Since I am the second owner of mine, I don't have record as to what happened to the original. Needless to say, I purchased a new Motorcraft a/c unit & had it Motorcraft authorized installed, two years ago. Smooth sailing since!
By the way, car only had 9,000 miles on it when the aftermarket replacement failed.

Moderator note- If you want a the OEM Motorcraft compressor click here for Amazon or click here for Ebay

Those things fail by little rubber parts, seals and clutches going bad. they never crack. If it had cracked by itself it would have long ago been out of fluids.
Since he saw fluids coming out it must have cracked while up on his hoist.
Agreed... If your A/C worked before you got there, something smells fishy. It only takes a small leak for a very short period of time and the A/C won't work.
Only way I could see it cracking would being hit by something or possibly trying to fill the system with liquid Freon instead of a gas. You cannot compress the liquid, thereby possible compressor damage.

Usually on compressors the shaft seal dries out, or wears out, freon and
some oil leak out. Over time if enough oil leaks out compressor will
lock up and crack, or seals leak so bad system will not hold freon for
more than a few days.

You do not have to replace dryer if a low mileage car, 15k or less miles.
Higher mileage should relace dryer because of metal flakes from compressor.

You do have to evacuate system good before weighing in new 134a freon.

Usually on compressors the shaft seal dries out, or wears out, freon and
some oil leak out. Over time if enough oil leaks out compressor will
lock up and crack, or seals leak so bad system will not hold freon for
more than a few days.

You do not have to replace dryer if a low mileage car, 15k or less miles.
Higher mileage should relace dryer because of metal flakes from compressor.

You do have to evacuate system good before weighing in new 134a freon.
Had a new Motorcraft compressor installed professionally by Lincoln dealer. That took care of the problem.

Last edited:
Back