Exhaust system modifications for my '03

Does your car have a cold air intake? That will make things louder.

How far have you driven with it? It takes about 500 miles to achieve the sound.
Would you be interested in selling your Borla system? How long has it been installed? Any damage (scuffs, scratches, etc) to it during install? TIA

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Is this the 140081 system? Would you be interested in selling your Borla system? How long has it been installed? Any damage (scuffs, scratches, etc) to it during install? TIA

Thanks for your reply, and tips, I am only going to replace the rear mufflers. Near the tail pipe with glass
Pack bullet type replacements as was done by a earlier post. I want a moderate increase in sound.

Is this the 140081 system? Would you be interested in selling your Borla system? How long has it been installed? Any damage (scuffs, scratches, etc) to it during install? TIA
My system is the correct one for a 2003. Not sure about the number. It’s been on my car for about 15 years and I have no plans to sell. BTW, it’s in perfect condition.

I still have the complete original system. I might be willing to part with that one. Shipping would be very difficult. Would be pick up only here in New Jersey.

My system is the correct one for a 2003. Not sure about the number. It’s been on my car for about 15 years and I have no plans to sell. BTW, it’s in perfect condition.

I still have the complete original system. I might be willing to part with that one. Shipping would be very difficult. Would be pick up only here in New Jersey.
I'm looking for an "as new" used Borla 140081 system for my 2004 T Bird. Thanks!!!

Thanks for responding. I have not done anything with cold air intake. I have about a thousand miles on the Borla. Hate it more every time I drive the car. Any suggestions for getting back to the OEM sound ?

Any suggestions for getting back to the OEM sound ?
Options
-Find a time machine and keep the factory exhaust.
-Find a car at a junkyard and get the factory exhaust there.
-Sell your car and buy another one.

See if you can find the OEM mufflers and resonators online to replace what you have.

OR start a thread offering to swap your Borla system with someone near you for their OEM. The Borlas are very popular and this would be the easiest option. Meet at a shop, put them on side by side lifts and swap.

The borla muffler is real short and straight through design. it is supposed to be loud and aggressive sounding. I suggest having those replaced with mufflers that are designed to be quiet should make you happy. expect to pay $100 -150 (installed) per muffler. maybe more if you are in California. The rest of the borla exhaust system is fine and can stay.

I have installed the Borla system and have my exhaust off my car that I would set you up with but I am in southern Indiana and not sure where you are or what it would cost to ship.
Borla5.jpg

The pipe is 2 inch. If you are doing clamp on then your new parts should have a 2 1/4 inch inlet. Most people recommend against changing the resonator (close to the catalytic converter). It controls back pressure and can negatively affect the way the car runs. Instead change the mufflers (closest to the tail pipe). Please let me know what you end up doing and how happy you are with the results.
Exhaust modified by changing rear mufflers with stainless glass packs , and extending chrome tips 1 in.
I love the sound and at cruise speed reasonably quiet. There is resonance inside the car when hard accelerating from
40 to 50 mph. I can live with that. Other than that I love it. Total Cost $175.00.

Do you have a full Borla cat back exhaust system on your Bird? How do you like the sound, the tone, and the fit & finish? Would you do it again? Do you have a sample sound of it installed on your Bird? TIA!

Has anyone ever posted a side by side recording of a stock T-Bird exhaust v Borla? I would like to hear this in order to form an opinion of weather to buy a systeem or not.

I have installed the Borla cat back exhaust on my Bird and of everything that I have done to it this is the prefect fit for this car, it has a great fit, good look, and a sound of power just like it should be on acceleration but when you just lay off and let it shift up and cruise it is quite. I installed it myself on jack stands in my garage in just three hrs. Also found it on Ebay for just over eight hundred bucks. Trying to record sound dose not do it Justus.
Borla1.jpgBorla2.jpgBorla5.jpgBorla02.jpgBorla03.jpgBorla01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If back pressure is the game you're playing, you're wasting money and time if you don't change to high-flow cats.
Borlas sound good, have them on my car, but high-flow cats make more difference.
Any good muffler shop will know what to do.
ETA: Left high-flow cats on my car for dyno tuning. Wide-band O2 sensors alone would be okay too.

Well this was a fun discussion. Thanks everyone for your input. I tried replacing the rear mufflers with strait pipes and it sounded mean but there was an annoying drone that occurred around 1800 to 2200 rpm under load. I bought a couple 12 inch cherry bomb glass packs on Amazon for $30 each and had them installed professionally. That really softened up the droning and harshness. Sounds really good with a nice low rumble when I start it up and idle though a parking lot. Sounds aggressive but not too loud when I am accelerating hard. Purrs like a kitten on the highway (top up or down). My wife didn't complain at all... Spent $310 total but if I had not tried it with strait pipes first it would have been $180.

I put a Borla system on my 03 and man does it sound good, just trolling around a nice rumble, but put you foot into it and your at the drag strip, love my Borla

I bought a couple 12 inch cherry bomb glass packs on Amazon for $30 each and had them installed professionally.

Which one, they make several different ones.

Back