Exhaust modifications

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds like you are talking about almost the same thing as what I had done. My shop didn't even remove the original tips - cut and pasted with them hanging there. Your sound should be just like mine. I think it is right for these cars.

Click below for a picture of the finished product.

Attachments

• muffler.jpg
    muffler.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 125

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Brad & Clarence, if you guys are gonna meet anywhere near Chicago to listen to Clarences' pipes count me in....

Not bird related - But speaking what some independent will
do.

Years ago had a 77 Trans Am that wanted the cat gone.

Normally fee was $25 and have no idea what happened.

But I wanted to replace with a true 73 dual sys. The shop
cut off the cat, the cross over pipe only to find didn't have
the muffler. Soooooo they ran another pipe down from
the left manifold, cut a 4th hole in the stock
77 muffer and welded the pipe it on. The car would barely run
and loud as heck. I was surprised, would have figured the
gases would have all flowed to gether.

I did located another shop with the correct muffler and the
car ran great. Had wondered what the problem was since
from the outside looked like a 73 with two pipe in two
out. If looked at a 73 had 4 pipe holes and 77 had 3.

So with mufflers what seems easy isn't.

Brad and Quickdraw

ID be happy to have you listen to my modified exhaust system.
Im thinking it might be a good idea to meet at the location that did the work for me. That way you can check out my car and also talk with the man that did the job. (I know he has other options besides glass paks.) His name is Jim Galemb and he works out of D.M.J Automotive at 603 LaGrange Road in LaGrange .D.M.J. is just a bit south of 47th street on Lagrange Road and on the east side of the street. He can be reached at 708-352-0901 if you would like to talk to him first. Im guessing you both have full time jobs, so maybe we could meet early this Friday, say somewhere between 7.00 and 8.00 a.m. at D.M.J. If this is not o.k. pick a time next week, any day but Monday.

Clarence

i'm glad i started a subject that other birdmen can identify with. just want it to sound like a sports car should. i'll just have to experiment . not gonna make the trip to chicago to check out the sounds all the way from georgia....

Anyone near Chicago have a Borla so we can hear both systems? <grin>

Clarence, I was out of town and just got this post. Quickdraw and I have each others email, so just contact either one of us. I can do mornings, but I think Quikdraw starts REAL early.

I like the idea of meeting at the shop. If I'm not scared of the rumble and he has them in stock, I'll try to have him do it while I'm there. If either of you guys are ever interested in seeing what your car looks like with a white top, let me know, and you can borrow mine for awhile.

I can get to LaGrange in about 10 mins from home but work about an hour from there, so before or after work would be best for me (either early or late). Just give me enough notice and I'll show up.

Brad

Jims business hours are 7:00 am - 5:00 pm Tues, Weds & Fri.
7:00 am - 7:00 pm Thurs.
8:00 am - 2:00 pm Sat.
Closed Sun & Mon.

Pick a morning or evening time for next week thats best for you both. The only thing that might mess me up is the possible delivery and installation of a kitchen counter top next week, but that probably wont happen. Im kind of leaning toward Thursday afternoon, but its purely up to you guys.

Clarence

Unfortunately there wont be a Borla system there... I would LOVE to compare the two... will try for sound files of the stock & glasspaks....

AZ Did you make an quicktime movie file of you car and the exhaust sound? I've got a 3 meg file of someone's car, and sound. If you or anyone wants it give me an email that can accept large files.

Loochie and anyone else in the Chicago area, Clarence, Brad and I are meeting Thursday at 6pm to listen to Clarence's exhaust modification at: D.M.J Automotive at 603 LaGrange Road in LaGrange. D.M.J. is just a bit south of 47th street on Lagrange Road and on the east side of the street. He can be reached at 708-352-0901.

Thanks for the invite! Not sure if I can make it, but you never know..... it's about a 30-minute drive for me unless traffic really stinks! I have to choose between listening to exhaust modifications, going to see one of my favorite bands, or staying home and forcing myself to choose what to pack for vacation, which is in 3 short days!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to sway your opinion, but I've been on the fence with this exhaust mod for about a year now, being scared that it would be too loud, so I don't wanna miss this.

On the other hand, I've always regreted the fact that I never saw Stevie Ray Vaughn live. I passed on a friends offer of a free ticket that ended up being his last show.

Clearly packing shouldn't be an option. I find it to be much more fun to only go on vacation with a toothbrush, and buy whatever you need there.

FYI....I've got an MP3 of the Borla sound that someone was nice enough to send me...If anyone wants it, send me your email.

Originally posted by Brad
AZ Did you make an quicktime movie file of you car and the exhaust sound? I've got a 3 meg file of someone's car, and sound. If you or anyone wants it give me an email that can accept large files.

That could be mine. I did make one and uploaded it to my car's homepage. http://members.*******/2002yellowbird/ (click on "other pictures")

Well Brad, I have also been desiring the Borla system since last June, but it may never happen as my hubby is against modifying the system - maybe I can talk him into coming with me to hear this!

If I see the band, I will probably be out too late, but it's not often they play in the 'burbs, and it's harder for me to do the city thing when they play. (My little brother was at that SRV concert- he was devastated) Then again, I did just see them on New Year's.

I'm not sure my shipmates would enjoy seeing me in nothing but a toothbrush, and my needs probably would not be covered in the ship's gift shop alone. I'm an anal type who needs to be prepared for all social and fashion occassions. This explains the past two weeks of staring at my closet with a blank look, and trying everything I own on at least twice. I probably should see a shrink. Know of a good one?

Basically, it will come to what kind of mood I'm in around 5:30 pm.
(Said like a true woman.):p

Sorry, but the sound file of Clarence’s exhaust didn’t come out well…. I had the camera about 3 foot high and six feet behind the car. Traffic, wind, and ambient sound all but obliterated the exhaust sound – that will teach me to bring headphones to monitor the sound. Brad had a mp3 file of the Borla’s exhaust and Clarence’s system would be a tad louder than that. Brad or I can send the file to whoever wants it, just PM one of us an email address – the file is about 540k.

AZ Yellowbird...

I was under the impression that a horsepower boost also came about with the addition of the Borla system as it was mandrel bent and less restrictive. Have you seen these numbers or do you remember hearing the same thing. The added rumble is nice, but the cost makes no sense at all without the HP boost.

Thanks!

Flair

I made the plunge this weekend. I've been pestering AZ with questions for about a year now, and it took be seeing Clarence's set-up in person to get me to do it. I got what I believe is the same thing that both AZ and Clarence had done. Removal of the rear muffler/resonator and chrome tip (the last 2 feet of the system), and installing glasspak mufflers and new chrome tips. I thought for sure I would want to re-use the original tips, however when seeing Clarence's car next to mine, the new ones look much better. Total cost was about 200 bucks. If I change my mind and don't like it, the cost will be about $20. to return it to factory original. If you're considering a change and are worried about altering the vehicle and comprimising the collectability, don't worry about it. If yours is a show car that is never driven, then you probably wouldn't even think about a change, so if you're considering it, just do it. As far as the welds go, my new work looks to be of a much higher quality weld than the factory original. The factory chrome tips are held on by 2 tiny spot welds. And finally...the sound. So far only tested with Hardtop on and windows rolled up. At an idle you can just barely tell the engine is running with the radio turned down. You do hear the rumble between initial excelleration until you reach your target speed. If you really hit it hard, or hit the passing gear, the whine of the transmission winding out is actually louder than the exhaust. The faster you go, the less you hear it. At 100 MPH the air leaks from the windows are louder than the exhaust. As far as the HP gain, the little bit of HP gain that the Borla's might give you I think is hardly worth the $600. I think the most important change is the psychological HP gain that you get. If you drove a modified and unmodified car, you would swear the changes made it faster. And to quote AZ, the most important part is that it sounds "COOL". Flair, if speed is your goal, then you've already made the biggest mistake by buying a yellow car....EVERYONE knows that RED cars are the fastest!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back