Exhaust modifications

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have researched all old posts on the subject and would like to hear from anyone that has modified their exhaust. i would like more tone similar to the mustangs, but not too loud. love my '02 white bird.
thanks,
jncyall
'66 mustang
'02 expedetion
'99 dodge ram 4by6
'02 tbird

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I haven't installed any yet but I understand that the Borla system is good and not too loud.

I don't have a system yet but everyone raves about the Borla system. I think it runs about $800 from Borla but can be found from distributors for about $650. They say it makes a sound similar to a Mustang GT. If you can't find a source for a good price let me know & I'll look.

Aloha mates! This is my first post here. I have an '02 Yellow 'Bird with about 5800 miles on her. I bought her through eBay, flew to Montana to pick her up in May and drove her home to central Arizona. See my home page for pictures. I drive her when I want to. Sometimes almost daily, sometimes once every two weeks.

I have been a member of another forum for a while, but have just recently found out about this forum and decided to give it a try. I will be visiting regularily.

As to exhaust modifications, I haven't heard Borlas yet but some say they are pretty loud.

I had the mufflers (resonators? - the piece just before the chrome tips) removed and glass packs put in and I love it. It is fairly loud under acceleration, but hardly noticible when crusing. This cost me $130 at a local muffler shop. They didn't remove the chrome tips, so I know the alignment is correct. I think this is a good alternative to spending $700 for Borlas that you have to install. One person's opinion. Take it for what it is worth, or what you paid for the advice. :)

Welcome AZ!!

You haven't heard the Borlas? Do you think the Borlas are louder than your setup? Thats my concern, that I'd get something too loud.

Welcome AZ. It sounds as though your set up has the retro sound.
Hopefully, some day you will be able to get together with other T Birders to compare your sound with a Borla. If so, let us know.

thanks guys . thats what i'm looking for. had already thought about replacing the resonators or eliminating them altogether. i'll just have to experiment.
jncyall

Hi All,
I have removed the OEM system and replaced it with a Borla and if I bought another Bird its the first thing I would do again. It is not loud sounding, just deep and throaty under normal driving but when you stomp it will get noticed. The other thing I like is that the tailpipes are a larger diameter and stick out a little longer giving the rear of the bird a fierce look.

Bruce, you could probably make some money :D by contacting Borla and have them pay you to drive around the country and letting people listen to your system. I'd drive 50 miles to hear them first hand.

Did you install them yourself?

0ne & a half hours to install the borlas with ramps. They are far from being to loud. Just a deeper sound. At normal speed they are just noticiable, at W.O.T they are great. You won`t be disapointed:D

Hey there AZ, I remember asking a bunch of questions about your glasspack alternative awhile back. To me it seems the way to go since it's so much cheaper. I stopped when I had trouble finding someone that carried the glasspak resonators, but it's still something I'm planning on trying when I locate them.

I'm a little concerened now about your "fairly loud" comment since mine is a daily driver..

I expect the Borla's to sound more like a racing car - LeMans or whatever, while mine is more like what you would expect a 50s or 60s car to sound like.

When I get the chance to compare them I will take some video so others can compare the sounds.

Call me cheap if you like, but I decided based on price. I wanted it louder - thats all. I didn't feel a need to have a race-tuned exhaust, just more noise! :) I did hear another '02 that was modified like mine before I got it done, so I knew I would like the result.

Do you want to know what the name/model/size of my glasspacks are? I will go look if you want it. Maybe a local muffler shop could get them or equivalent. I can send you pictures showing the installation also.

Is there any new non-tacky/cheezy way of being able to have what I think used to be called a "cut-off" for the exhaust?

The ones I remember were a cable controled from inside the car that would divert exhaust to straight pipes when desired.

What I'm envisioning in my warped mind would be a diverter that would channel the exhaust from the rear resonators to a straight pipe. (you would still have the mufflers and cat).

I realize there would be some labor involved, but I would think less than the price of Borla's.

Is this possible? plausible? or just a stoopid idea for someone with a daily driver?

I think the biggest problem you would have is finding room for the new pipes. You might consider just putting the cut-outs (yes, I remember them fondly) in-line after the mufflers and point them down.

In all the discussions on this subject, I dont see any reference to the impact of modifying the exhaust system relative to the factory warranty.(voided?) In addition, given all the sensors on todays modern cars, I wonder if reducing backpressure, etc. will improve short term performance at the expense of reducing engine life or causing some problems with the cars computer system. I too, am keen on getting a better sound, but need some assurance that I dont mess up the car in the bargain. perhaps those of you that have made the change to "performance systems" could comment on this post.
Thanx
cman

Hi Clarence,

What color is your bird?

If you don't mind spending 400-600 dollars to improve the sound, a Borla or magnaflow cat-back system is probably for you. The minor changes in these systems should be adjusted for with the cars computer.

One of the other things we were discussing was swapping out the resonators (leaving the cat and muffler untouched). I don't think this approach radically changes the pressure.

The last thing I was talking about would be after the cat and muffler having the ability to either use the stock resonators, or to be able to switch it to avoid the resonator. This would increase the pressure, but I have no idea how much, or if it would be a factor.

After talking to Borla customer service, making the rounds of the usual mufflerand brake shops,(Midas, CarX,Fair, etc.) I found a small independent muffler shop called James and Dean In La Grange ,Il. that has done quite a bit of specialty work on exhaust systems. After some discussion, some temporary setups and a few around the block tests, (top up, top down, radio on, radio off, etc.) I opted for glass pacs and new tips. I believe this is the same setup as AZ.has had done. I have a very deep rich sound and am very happy with this setup. Total cost was $ 190.07 for hardware and labor. No way is it too loud!! Iam checking my gas mileage but I dont think it will improve much, if at all. The engine runs as smooth as silk. I will eventually need to take a pollution test required in Illinois but dont expect any problems.

Cman

Clarence...I just realized my profile doesn't mention it, but I'm from Chicago. I've been having trouble finding someone that carries the glasspaks, but it looks like you've found someone.

Is there any chance I could get a listen of your car?

I live out in the sw burbs and drive up to the northside of the city every day, so if there is somewhere convenient for you I would REALLY appreciate it.

Was there a specific reason why you didn't re-use the factory tips?

BTW, I've actually got rid of cars in the past because of Illinois pollution tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back