EXHAUST FUMES

Status
Not open for further replies.
I NOTICE EXHAUST FUMES IN THE CAR WHEN I PUNCH IT. THIS HAPPENS BOTH WITH THE TOP UP AND DOWN. HAVE NOT SPOKE TO THE DEALER YET. ANYBODY ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM? HAPPY MOTORING! 02TBIRD.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I don't know about exhaust fume but I get a smell. It smells like oil or paint burning off something that has not been used and has gotten hot. I figure it will go away

------------------
2002 Black/Black/Full Red
1957 Starmist Blue
1981 Shay ('55 Reproduction)(ok so I sold it 2 months ago)

eek.gif
Like 57 bluebird,I noticed a hot smell of some kind on our 16 hour drive to Florida the other week but has not return. May have been paint or oils on new metal under the hood.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond

My 2003 does same thing ? Has anyone ever figure this out , or just the nature of the car ?
Carbon monoxide not good inside !
Exhaust leak ? Or just the back draft maybe through trunk area ?

My 2003 does same thing ? Has anyone ever figure this out , or just the nature of the car ?
Carbon monoxide not good inside !
Exhaust leak ? Or just the back draft maybe through trunk area ?
Definitely not the nature of the car. Get to an exhaust shop and have it checked.

Definitely not the nature of the car. Get to an exhaust shop and have it checked.
Hey thanks. I see others had this issue , it’s weird only when you have to step on it.
I’m going for inspection soon and I have a great mechanic. I’ll mention it to him.
Thanks

Hey thanks. I see others had this issue , it’s weird only when you have to step on it.
I’m going for inspection soon and I have a great mechanic. I’ll mention it to him.
Thanks
Those other quotes were from long ago when the cars were brand new. They probably smelled something burning off the hot motor or exhaust. Our 2003s are now way past that point.

It is the catalyst converter, the stock ecm is not properly programmed for WOT blasts. The converter is doing its thing and gives off that smell because the engine is running lean.

Hey thanks for input ,it defiantly is that rotten egg smell .. it just passed inspection no issue there. I don’t understand what you mean by programming the emc as related to the wot blast ? I’ve never adjusted anything on this car and it serviced regularly,, I haven’t takin it to a exhsust shop yet as i don’t drive it that often but am going to have it sorted soon.

Hey thanks for input ,it defiantly is that rotten egg smell .. it just passed inspection no issue there. I don’t understand what you mean by programming the emc as related to the wot blast ? I’ve never adjusted anything on this car and it serviced regularly,, I haven’t takin it to a exhsust shop yet as i don’t drive it that often but am going to have it sorted soon.

I meant the factory ecm program. Nothing is wrong with the car, just that is what happens when the engine goes lean. When the engine goes lean it produces more heat, which causes the converter to give off the "rotten egg" smell. When the computer is properly tuned you don't get that smell after spirited blast.

I meant the factory ecm program. Nothing is wrong with the car, just that is what happens when the engine goes lean. When the engine goes lean it produces more heat, which causes the converter to give off the "rotten egg" smell. When the computer is properly tuned you don't get that smell after spirited blast.

Oh , ok. So can I have it reprogrammed ? Do you know

Yes, if you are going to be hammering the car, it might be worth it. Otherwise, not needed.
Ok thanks for your reply it was very helpful , I don’t hammer much !

Ok thanks for your reply it was very helpful , I don’t hammer much !
Ok so I found out like DE said the 02 sensor bank #1 sensor #1 is bad and running lean and probably causing smell when I accelerate ..
question does anyone know location of sensor I can’t see it from top and I know it’s on the left side of motor facing the car ..and is it doable by me .. any info helpful. Thanks ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back