"E" warning light???? HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought an 03 Ford Thunderbird with less than 8000 miles on it, seemingly in perfect condition. I had read before buying one that there was a problem in 03's with the "dreaded E" warning, signaling potential transmission problems.
Last night while driving, I noticed the "E" on my panel right after the odometer number. We haven't even put 100 miles on it yet of our own!
Has anymore else experienced this? and what was the final "diagnosis" and cost? I'm sick!
anna

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

It's likely a COPS failure (coil over plug) if so Ford warranties the 2003 to 2005 up to 100,000 miles, 2002 is not covered. Take it to the dealer and have them check it out.

If you didn't buy an extended warranty you should probably look into that too. There's an inspection fee and the cost of the warranty but with such low miles you will likely have your car a long while. It's worth the peace of mind IMO.

As an aside, I think garage queens are great but cars must be driven some, 8,000 miles in 7+ years is not enough I think.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

thank you! It was one night that i was driving the car, i noticed a steady E. We have driven it a couple of times since, and there has been no E at all. Should I just keep an eye on it? Or, take it in for an evaluation?
We did not purchase the warranty.....and I was wondering if we made a mistake at the time. I saw one response I was reading who said it was a cost of $3,000 to fix the E problem!!!! Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is that accurate??

Anna:
If you take it to a Ford dealer and they write up the fault it's in the records. Then if you buy an ext. warranty, that particular item will not be covered since it was previously recorded by Ford.
Therefore, time to make a decision. There are deals out there that are in the $1500-1800 range for Ford ext warranties. At least get a price from your local Ford/Lincoln dealer. Especially since you bought used, you don't know the car. Just my opinion
By the way, it definitely sounds like the transmission needs to be reflashed. That thread that was mentioned tells it all, so read it carefully and keep us informed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back