Dealer Joy Ride, I can't believe it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my car back from my local dealer--who only services my cars -- and the car had 12 miles on it even though the paperwork said zero miles from the time it was brought in.

I called my service rep from the cell phone on my way out the lot and asked him about it and he said there shouldn't be any miles on it.

I know my dealer who I bought my bird would fire anyone even considering a test drive of a customer's vehicle but I have noticed that there are an awful lot of mechanics and others interested in the bird when it comes around. I get comments from the cashier about my car.

At my 3,000 mile service, I thought I noticed 20 miles on my vehicle but didn't focus on it and didn't even consider it a possibility.

This last one was strike two.

Word of warning, do as I have done, tell your service managers that they better take care of your bird, limit the test drives to automotive/mechanical issues around the block, and better be able to justify every mile on vehicle.

I am on it now and I want to know what you all think. My bird is a daily driver and ended 2001 with nearly 4,000 miles on it. But I know every inch of the car and know how it has been driven (except the last yokel I let drive it which caused the steam to rise) and it apparently knows my driving.

I can't believe it!!!!

RT2ESQ
Triple Black #1049

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

When I took mine in for the fan problem there were 4 additional miles on the car after the service. I had no problem with that because I felt the car needed to be driven after the repair was made for checkout purposes. As I stated in your other post about your problem, I drove for about 6 miles after the problem first occurred before it reoccurred.

I have had mine in twice for service. Once for an oil change and once for a new steering wheel as posted previously. Both times I asked if they wanted to test drive my car. Both times they refused. I think they didn't want the responsibility. I have nothing but praise for this dealer and their service dept. I am treated like a VIP when I come in. Only regret is that I won't be able to use them anymore.

New cars always have a few miles on them, so the 12 miles may have been from the factory, but they put zero on the paperwork.

The first T-Bird delivered to my dealer had a sticker on it that said "this car has been randomly selected for quality testing and as such has 240 miles on it". Can you imagine that?

------------------
Joe
TBIRD II - My License Plate
Waiting for #9476...

Tbird II,

I am talking about miles put on while the car was in for service, not new. I just wanted to alert everyone to the fact that this might be occurring because the mechanics are "eager" to make sure everything is okay with the car.

However, my car just had a little steam coming out and drove perfectly after that. This service was a preventive measure and no testing was necessary. I really didn't give them a choice about replacing my fan module.

Therefore, 12 miles is a hell of alot of miles in that scenario and unjustified. In any case, money won't replace a dealer wreck or damage to my bird, it will just piss me off.

Keep your eyes out on the miles, I am!!!

RT2ESQ
Triple Black #1049

Reminds me of the time I had my 91 GMC Syclone in the body shop for some paint repairs. I didn't keep good track of the mileage, but it had a half tank of fuel when I brought the car in and when I picked it up it was running on fumes. Boy was I steamed!
mad.gif

Needless to say it was the LAST time that shop did any work for me. Perhaps you need to find a new dealer to service your Bird.

OD,

I'm almost there and there is another dealer in another area. I hope my warning has put the Service Manager and the staff on notice. You can darn well be sure we are going to talk about it again before they begin servicing my car.

Doc, I am not sure the problem won't exist elsewhere.

RT2ESQ
Tripke Black #1049

How do you think the guy in Pennsylvania felt when his Thunderbird burnt to the ground an hour after picking it up? I still can't believe that the dealer told him he would have to wait 6 months for another Bird to be delivered for him!

------------------

It had to do with a loose tire iron getting across the battery terminals in the trunk - tire iron was not in it's proper place but don't know how that happened. Not sure how bad the fire was but if the owner is getting another car out of the deal then it must have been bad. We never did have anyone post any pictures of it - just heard about it on the BON soon after it happened - last summer - one of those cars that did get delivered before the recalls about the fan(which had nothing to do with the fire).

Crazy thing happen at dealerships. My car was service for my window problem and came back with 3 miles on it and I watched them park it in the service bay. I went away for 6 hours and they said it wasn't driven. I recommend you write down the miles on the ticket and have them sign it along with yourself, I will the next time. My father was called and told his car was ready for pickup, when he asked about the miles he was told it had 38 miles on it and he ok'd it. When he got to the dealership it had 150 miles. Everybody was upset and he refused the car and was put back into the system again and is expecting his car anytime now.
I never seen someone so happy one minute and open the door and get so mad the next, very interesting day.

Originally posted by TBIRD II:
New cars always have a few miles on them, so the 12 miles may have been from the factory, but they put zero on the paperwork. The service department is required to P.D.I. (pre-delivery inspect) the vehicle when it arrives which inludes a normally short drive. (obviously ever car on the lot can't be driven 12 miles)

The first T-Bird delivered to my dealer had a sticker on it that said "this car has been randomly selected for quality testing and as such has 240 miles on it". Can you imagine that?

The only time a Ford-Lincoln-Mercury will have more than 3-5 miles is if it is selected randomly at the factory for a quality check. Then it will have 16-85 miles AND a sticker from Ford saying the car was picked for for quality testing. I have NEVER seen any FORD/Lin/Mer with that many miles that was picked for testing.

On the other post, if you took your car in for overheating, it is very likely that the service manager drove the car to lunch or something to make sure the car was repair, normally they won't waste their time, but if you know them, sometimes they will drive it to make sure. You decide, were they joy riding, or giving you special attention.

TBird

Originally posted by rt2esq:
I just got my car back from my local dealer--who only services my cars -- and the car had 12 miles on it even though the paperwork said zero miles from the time it was brought in.

Did you ask the dealer if the car had a problem when it was inspected? With Ford's it is slightly common to have them come into the dealership with minor problems. One time I had a Town Car with a cracked dash. You can do an OASIS at the dealer to see if any warranty work was done on the car yet.

BiG Orange

My bird was an early one so it got out of Wixom before the quality hold on the Fan Module.

The short story is that this was a preventive visit to replace the module -- no test driving was necessary!!!! Someone drove it 12 miles against that backdrop.

The lesson here is to watch your birds when they are in for service and emphasize that you do not want anyone driving your vehicle unless it is absolutely mechanically necessary and then only to a minimum.

I'd be willing to bet that there are going to be some posts about miles put on our birds at the dealership during your 3,000 mile oil change.

The bottom line is that there just are not enough birds around yet to make the car just another vehicle in for repair. I understand it but I do not have to accept it.

Please forgive the analogy, but it's kind of like an OB/GYN or Proctologist fondling one's spouse instead of doing the job at hand professionally -- so to speak.

RT2ESQ
Triple Black #1049

If I had a cooling system module replaced (or any other module) I certainly would want my service rep to test drive the vehicle to assure that the problem had been rectified. At my dealership it's a common practice, and they always log the mileage on arrival. They don't however put excessive mileage on the odometer.

------------------
Jim Williams
'98 Lincoln Continental & waiting for red/red/blk premium Bird (#2 of 2 also VIN-less)
Mass. tag JWBIRD Christmas gift from #3 daughter

I do not have any problems with my Lincoln dealer on my Navigator nor do I have any problems with my Harley F-150 at the same dealership.

I expect them to test drive the car after the new Fan Module arrives. 4-5 miles will do, thank you very much.

RT2ESQ
Triple Black #1049

I had my Fan Module replaced today. It took several days for the part to arrive and everything got shipped back to Wixom.

My Service Advisor and I had a very clear understanding. They put 2.4 miles on the vehicle this time around. He had possession of the keys the entire time my car was there and parked it in his view inside the repair area.

He said it was an ugly process and that the Fan Module was connected to all kinds of hoses and fluids.

Bottom Line: No one is cruising my bird anymore at my dealership!!!

RT2ESQ
Triple Black #1049

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back