Dead Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
When they brought the car back to me yesterday (12-01-04), the man told me they had replaced that same part that they replaced in Feb. 04. I assume it was the new improved part that they had mentioned earlier. They also replaced the tape with the improved tape and gave me more of it. The tape and cleaner was in the case that had the Thunderbird logo on it, like I had read about in another post. Hope this time solved my battery problem.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Effectiveness of Parts Replacement?

Sophia (and Gary, Thaser, Mike02Redbird, and TicketTed, or anybody else, for that matter, if this applies to you, too), since you had the replacement part installed (DATC dash module, A/C controller, or Rear Window Defroster controller, or whatever the dealer called it), have you had a recurrence of the dead battery? If so, does it seem to be related to turning on the RWD, and not remembering to turn it off when you shut off the ignition? From what I've read here and elsewhere, that seems to be the most possible likely cause (aggravated by the failure of the system to shut it off when the ignition is shut off). Some people report that they've had the part replaced twice, when the dealer implied that the initial replacement part was still not doing its job. Maybe there's a design flaw? I don't want to take my birdy in for replacement of a part with another one that won't do any better, especially if I can prevent the problem by simply remembering to always assure that the RWD button is off and the light is off. By the way, when I took it to the dealership to have it checked out, everything checked out okay. I checked the battery before I drove it in, with my little multimeter, and it was at 12.09v. While it was there, they charged it up some, and when I got home, it was 12.5v. [By comparison, my daily driver F-150 showed 12.6v] I think I'm gonna keep a log of daily readings for a while, to see how it gradually drains down ('cause there's absolutely no doubt at all in my mind that it does, due to all the stuff that's constantly energized, 24/7).

Several weeks ago Ford told me that they would replace the same part that was replaced in Feb. 04, with a new and improved one. They ended up just testing it for a few days, and returning it without replacing it. They said I didn't drive it enough (short trips daily).
A week or so later they changed their mind and wanted me to bring it in so they could replace the part, which they did. I wonder if anyone that had that part replaced before Feb. 04, got a defective part. I am almost expecting a recall.

Sophia
I didn't have a chance to go back and read all the posts, but if it's not posted, the DATC Module is the item that should be replaced. This controls the rear window defogger. It's Ford part number 3W6Z 19980 AC

Dead battery again at midnight 1-25-05.

:mad:
That part has been replaced two times already. Daily driver, garaged at home and park in a warm garage at work.

I didn't use the defrost yesterday, but I did use the heater.

I didn't drive the T-Bird yeaterday, but I tried to start it. It didn't start so I went to the dealer and told them I suspected the battery, I have gone through 3 of those parts, and still having trouble. They ordered a battery and are putting it in today. Keep your fingers crossed!

This will be the second winter that I have put my car away in an unheated garage that doesn;t get below 20 degrees. The first year I didn't start it for months and it would not crank. The lights worked but just not enough to crank it. I now start it once a month and it is ok. All of the memory chips/computers still function when the car is off (radio channels, anti-theft, door adjar) and although they draw a small amount of current, can run a car battery down unexpectedly.

Your problem after 8-10 days sounds like a dead or weak cell in the battery. Try repeated starting of the car and see how many times you can do it without it failing. With a bad battery, you will reach the no start threshold very fast.

You can go to your local Auto Zone parts store and let them put the draw meter on your car. This puts a resistive load on your battery to test it's performance. They do this for nothing.

Definitely sounds like a battery problem.

Ticket Ted
2003 White/Full accent Red & Black interior
Ticket Ted

Just to bring the subject to the forefront again. (For the new members). In the areas that many of us tuck our cars away for hibernation, I still believe in the "Battery Tender".
Occasional starts during winter months is not all good for batteries. They never get a full charge back. The tender maintains the battery at it's highest level and therefore helps you get the most out of it. By not using a tender for the stored car, you can assume a reduced life of a battery.
I proved this to myself over the years in my antique cars and just thought it was worth while mentioning again.

gary i had the same problem after about the forth time i had the dealer put a new battery in my car. it happened once again and i noticed the button for the mirror lite is verry sensitive and i didnt have it off all the way.havent had any problems sence.hope this helps. dennis

whitenerdennis:
If you haven't read this entire thread, regarding dead batteries, there is a possibility that leaving the rear window defroster on, when leaving your car overnight, will also deplete the battery. Ford has replaced many defective modules for this.

Mr Ed: Move your drivers seatback forward and you will find a key hole in back of it, on the 'shelf wall', to open the trunk :)

Gary said:
Got my TBird in December and love it. Only problem is when it sits for more than 8-10 days, the battery goes dead! Dealer said this is normal for any car and that it should be started every couple of days. Questions:
1) has anyone else experienced this problem? and 2) does anyone else use their TBird as a "nice weather car" and let it sit for longer than a week - with or without problems? The dealer is trying to convince me that this is not a mechanical problem and there is nothing wrong with the car, but I don't buy it. I've always had a third car that sat for long periods and they've always started right up -- until this one.

Gary
I don't think it's a battery problem. It's your dealer that has a problem.
I leave my car in the garage during the winter months. I start it about every 4th week. Starts without any problem.

Right... Mine is stored for the winter and I start it every 6 to 8 weeks and there isn't a problem. I have a 2002 and there is a problem with the hardtop back window defroster draining the battery if you do not manually shut it off youself. There is a Service Bulletin on this and seems to be limited to 2002-and some early 2003s. Has the dealer check the battery for a dead cell? There is a real problem somewhere and if your dealer wont fix it you need to find another Ford or Lincoln dealer to fix it while its still under warranty.

I have a seldom-driven '02 that requires a charge about every 3 weeks sitting in a heated garage. I think this is unusual, but I've never gone back to the dealer with it. Maybe I should?

Dead Battery

I put my car to bed for the winter in the first part of November. I did not start it for 45 days and it cranked right up. Went out last week after almost two months and it fired right up without any hesitation. 8 to 10 days is garbage if your dealer is telling you.

Ticket Ted
2003 Whisper White/White Top-Red/Black Premium interior

I believe that if you're not going to drive your bird very often you should use a battery tender. This does not trickle charge, but maintains your battery at a proper level. ;)
My antiques were seldom driven and I would get 3-4 years from a battery. Then I switched to the tender and my battery life went to 5-6 years.
With all the electronics in these new cars, it probably makes more sence to use one. Just my opinion

Hi,
I have a 97 'bird with 368000 on it, It still has the first battery in it. It is left at the airport all the time. The only time the battery went flat was when I left the cell phone pluged in, on charge for a month. I think that was my goof.
I just picked up my 04 in Feb. it has been in storage since, the battery is still up. Put an amp. meter on the battery lead and see if there is any draw. If there isn't any draw it is likely a bad battery.
Iwould also find a new dealer!

1977 Triumph
1997 T'bird
2002 Explorer
2004 T'bird
Three #^*@ cats

I store my 2003 for the winters. It goes to bed around the end of October and gets up in April. I start it twice and leave it run for about a half hour. No problems with the battery. It's in an unheated garage. I know that the radio and clock use the battery for memory purposes but not enough to draw the battery down. Too many complaints on this topic. What if Ford has a bad batch of batteries? Ask the dealer to replace the battery under the assumption of a bad cell. With a sealed battery, there is no way to test the cells. A common test is a draw test with a meter but I have seen these tests check ok with a weak battery. The real test is to see how many times the car can start in a row before it will not crank. If it stops cranking in five tries, you definitely have a bad battery.

We have similar troubles with our police cars if the radio and related equipment is left on. I know that after a jump start and use for a shift, the problem should be solved, but if it happens over and over after sitting a few hours, the car battery has a bad cell.

Fight for a new battery. It is not going to cost the dealer a penny.

Ticket Ted
2003 Whisper white-white top/premium red-black interior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back