Cure for nagging hesitation when downshifting to go!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good for you airspeed, The Lincoln dealer will solve it. BTW, there's no way they can check the level, except to drain it and see whats there, then refill it

There was a service notice on harsh shifts a long while ago. If you haven't had the car since new, ask the dealer to chack their OASIS system to see if the tranny has ever been worked on and TSB implemented. Just a thought, I'll see if I can dig up the number

OK found it TSB 03-15-8 "Transmission - 5R55S Harsh Shifts- Vehicles Built Between 11-18-2002 and 5-17-2003 only"
I could forward this Ford doc if you send me a PM with your email address on it. But your dealer should know about it

Last edited:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I also found an old letter dated 2007 from Ford about an additional coverage program #07N08 for owners of 2002 to 2005 Thunderbirds With 5R55 automatic Transmissions
I cannot attach it here nor copy it , sorry

harsh shifting 2004 T-Bird transmission

Good for you airspeed, The Lincoln dealer will solve it. BTW, there's no way they can check the level, except to drain it and see whats there, then refill it

There was a service notice on harsh shifts a long while ago. If you haven't had the car since new, ask the dealer to chack their OASIS system to see if the tranny has ever been worked on and TSB implemented. Just a thought, I'll see if I can dig up the number

OK found it TSB 03-15-8 "Transmission - 5R55S Harsh Shifts- Vehicles Built Between 11-18-2002 and 5-17-2003 only"
I could forward this Ford doc if you send me a PM with your email address on it. But your dealer should know about it

Hi George,
You really keep an eye on things here, which is (GREAT) since quite a few of us need information to proceed with solving these issues.

Having said that ---------------------------------------

We were called by the Lincoln dealer and told that our transmission did in fact shift abruptly between 2nd. and 3rd. gears, (we knew that). The reason, we were told, was that the galley (or port?) that made this shift must be worn and needs to be repaired. This would mean the transmission would need to be removed and repaired. Or he thought a better route would be to purchase a new transmission from them at ($3,500.00) and have them install it.
I told them we would not be doing this and would try to live with this issue until the transmission failed on us.
When I went to pick up our T-Bird I asked them to explain to me just what they did to identify this transmission issue. I was told they put it on some analyzer and it told them this was the problem. Because of your forum I was aware of the transmission fluid problems, (both too much fluid or not enough fluid) and I asked them what the fluid level was in my transmission. I was told the tech was gone and that there was no mention in my service report about the fluid level.
We then took our Bird to a fast lube store and explained to the mechanics running the facility about our shifting issue.
Then we explained the correct way to check this particular transmission (directions from the internet) and would they be willing, with my watching over them, to check the fluid level in my transmission. They said "sure" and this is what we found.
My transmission was about 3/4 of a quart too full (the transmission fluid was slightly dark and it was foamy) so we drained this 3/4 qt. out and it is now where the transmission directions say it should be.
Our transmission now seems to be shifting more normally, (it is still a little bit harsh shifting sometimes) but we have not driven it enough to be certain of our success.
I think we are going to go back to them in a few days and have the transmission fluid replaced with new.

I found the Lincoln service agent to be irritated with my input (when trying to show him the forum print outs) and he was totally not interested in our help. His quotes were, "we have the technicians to do anything that needs to be done", "we do this all the time and will not have a problem".
Because of our experience with this transmission problem we can not recommend Fiesta Lincoln, Mesa, AZ.
After we get the opportunity to drive our T-Bird some more we will report back what we find.
Thanks again for your and the forum's input. I think it was valuable in helping me understand the workings of our T-Bird transmission

2004 T-Bird transmission

George,
I forgot to send this,

The 2004 T-Bird has a 5r55s transmission which does not have a dipstick but instead has a "standpipe" type leveling system.

To check fluid level the transmission it has to be within 80-120 degree f.

While warm and idling the transmission should be cycled through all of the gears to make sure fluid fills all of the transmission galleys and then the auto should not be shut off but should remain in park and idling.

Next, with the auto idling in a level position get under the auto and take the plug out of the center of the larger fitting located on the bottom of the transmission pan. It is a torx 30.

Idling in park the transmission fluid should drip out very slowly.

Should you need to add fluid you will need a threaded fitting (available from http://www.summitracing.com/parts/OTC-6604/ with the same threads as the little plug you removed.

Attach a bottle of mercon5 and hose to this fitting and squeeze (or pump) from the bottle to add fluid.

Then recheck the transmission fluid by letting it drain out to a fast dribble and then re-install the little (torx 30) plug back in.
Remember 80-120 degree fluid temp.

SEE: http://www.wikihow.com/Check-the-Fluid-Level-on-a-Ford-5R55X-Transmission

Thanks airspeed:

Your post may help others

2004 T-Bird transmission

George,
We just had our transmission fluid changed again, first time @ 28,000 miles (Berge FORD)( I believe they over filled it at that time) and changed again @ 56,000 miles (Jiffy Lube).

Jiffy Lube, with our input has the correct fluid level in our transmission and it seems to be shifting correctly now.

All I can say is everyone needs to be very aware of how your transmission is serviced.
It has been our experience that more likely than not the dealer will screw it up. Get a mechanic to do this for you and not a "parts changer".

George,
We just had our transmission fluid changed again, first time @ 28,000 miles (Berge FORD)( I believe they over filled it at that time) and changed again @ 56,000 miles (Jiffy Lube).

Jiffy Lube, with our input has the correct fluid level in our transmission and it seems to be shifting correctly now.

All I can say is everyone needs to be very aware of how your transmission is serviced.
It has been our experience that more likely than not the dealer will screw it up. Get a mechanic to do this for you and not a "parts changer".

I took my car in to the Ford/Lincoln dealership in Grapevine, TX for another problem and told them about the tranny fluid issue causing a harsh gear shifting - they said because of the 2004 config on the tranny that they had to do afull tranny service to check the level because the cost of the fluid level check was nearly the same amount as a full tranny service charge. So my question - at your Jiffy Lube how much were you charged?

transmission fluid change

Hi Dallas Lisa,
After typing a long reply I lost it so here goes again :confused:

Our invoice shows a charge of $149.99 for the transmission fluid and $12.00 for the use of (SB UNIVERSAL ATF CONVERTER) for a total bill of $161.99. They took $10.00 off my bill and I don't know why? so they charged me $151.99.

What they told me was the machine that changes the transmission fluid, I guess it is the (SB UNIVERSAL ATF CONVERTER) puts into the transmission exactly the amount of fluid which was removed.

To me this would mean:
If the transmission already had too much, or too little transmission fluid, it would get that same amount of fluid put back into the transmission.

Again, what this means to me:
You can't just change the fluid and stop there. You need to check the transmission for the correct fluid level after the fluid change and I used the method described in a previous post that has a link to the directions to do this.

I don't want to leave you with the thought that doing all of this will make your transmission shift smooth as glass. It did improve our transmission issue to where I would not have noticed or questioned any problem with the transmission shifting. I would recommend doing this.

Yes airspeed;
You said" To me this would mean:If the transmission already had too much, or too little transmission fluid, it would get that same amount of fluid put back into the transmission."

I am aware of another owner that had his changed and had no difference in shifting. They and found out the same about the amount in the tranny. So the second time he said they drained it all out and measured how much it was, only to find it was too low so they had not put enough in.
They then refilled it with the specified amount - Problem solved

To share my experience on this thread. My 2005 Thunderbird has only 24,000 miles but I figured any fluid that is 13 years old needs changing. I changed the fluid replacing with Mobil 1 synthetic fluid and a fresh filter. Filled, to it ran out at the proper temperature and all of the sudden it was hesitating or slipping from a stop mainly in 1st gear but sometimes from 1st-2nd. I initially thought it was the fluid but after checking the level again, IT WAS 2.5 QUARTS LOW! I added till it ran out again and all is fine now. So if you change your own fluid, be sure to drive it down the road going through all the gears and check again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back