Cure for nagging hesitation when downshifting to go!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
tigerpaw68

tigerpaw68

2005 Anniverary Edition "Rocketman"
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I am just so frustrated with the way this TB hesitates on the downshift when you need to get going to pull out into traffic or to make a quick pass. What can be done to eliminate/minimze the hesitation?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I am just so frustrated with the way this TB hesitates on the downshift when you need to get going to pull out into traffic or to make a quick pass. What can be done to eliminate/minimze the hesitation?

It sounds like you have a COP issue. 2003 -2005's are covered up to 100,000 miles or 10 years - Not for 2002's
Check out the search function on COPS

COP - tranny hesitation

I have the same issue, tranny shifts to neutral and jumps back in hard when the rpms go up. Usually does it more often when cold. Only 55k miles on tranny so this seems premature.
I searched forum for COP and did not pull any threads - can you help?

PS: Newbie to this forum.

Trying to help here:
Transmission issues and what other owners have found or said:
Could be low fluid
You may need the dealer to do a software re-flash
If you are with Ford, change to a Lincoln dealer, since the drive train is all Lincoln LS and the guys there are more familiar with these issues
One owner says:
After reversing and shifting to drive transmission drops into neutral then slams into gear. Dealer cannot find anything wrong.When I first got the car I met a gentleman who was the lead engineer for Ford that led the production of Retro Birds. He went on to tell me not to let just any mechanic work on it. He said even at Ford dealerships I should request the mechanic that had been specifically trained on these cars be the only one to work on it. He stated that there was a lot of complicated engineering that went into these cars and only trained personell should work on them. Obviously my dealership has no mechanics trained on this car. When I questioned their diagnosis and they got onto the computer to check it out they shook their head at how complicated and hard to work on, that the AC system was.
Another:
I went to a Transmission guy who said; only Ford can fix. The dealer trusted the transmission guy It may be a simple thing or nothing at all but at the time even Ford agreed that a slipping into neutral and banging into gear was a problem. Consumer Report says the 04 had a minor transmission complaint level which disappeared for the 05 so maybe it is really nothing but I would stay on the dealer, especially if it happens again....and being on record now might help if the problem surfaces later.
I had the transmission serviced. The machine they use, drains the old fluid out and replaces it with the exact same amount of fluid. This means if your fluid level is low (and there is no dipstick to check the level) it will stay low even after service.
Well, with the new clean fluid my transmission really acted up. It would stay in neutral longer after the lever was put into D5 or D4 and it would not necessarily go into First (1st) gear when it did engage. A few times it would go into a gear too high to start the car moving, and the engine would die.
I brought the car back in and asked the technician that serviced the transmission to take it for a test drive. When he returned he put the car up in the air and checked the fluid level. He lowered the car and added first one quart of fluid, then another quart and one half. He then asked me to test drive the car. What a difference! For three years I was driving the car with a 2 1/2 quart deficit of transmission fluid. On the road trip, the car performed well except for a few of those rough shifts that I had grown accustomed to, and a few times it would stay in neutral after coming to a stop.
It is now 3 days since my Select-shift transmission has had the correct amount of transmission fluid. What I'm amazed by is that it functioned as well as it did on the road trip 2 1/2 quarts low! Now the transmission shifts very smoothly and efficiently.
To all those people out there that are having problems with their transmission, Have a technician check the fluid level, you too may be low on fluid. Also spend the $210. to do a complete service with new fluid if your fluid is black like mine was at 46,000 miles

Finally this one said: I did point out that my car was manuf. in early Sept. '04 and that it was covered by a recall for transmission fluid problem.
Dealer confirmed the recall and stated my car had been serviced under that recall - they put an additive to the trans. fluid. Dealer acknowledged to me that the recall was because of a shifting problem and the additive was supposed to fix the problem. I then requested dealer add the recall additive to my trans. again since car was now four years older with 25K plus miles. Since I was picking up the car at the time, service writer agreed to add the additive on my next visit. I'll report the results after that occurs.

Do you know when your car was manuf.? If it was before Sept. 22, '04 have dealer check computer records to see if trans. additive was added.

Just read another - Here’s one guys issue and resolution:

“My 2004 Thunderbird will sometimes appear to shift into neutral after a hard stop although you have never shifted. You almost have to shift to park and back to drive before the transmission reacts.”
Resolution:
“Thought I would let you know what was causing the erratic shifting on my 2004 T-Bird. Seems that a stick had come up from the road, pierced the transmission cooler and caused it to leak and the fluid shortage caused the erratic shifting. The cooler had to be replaced and that was pretty penny for us that are not that mechanically embraced.”

Thanks for Tranny information

George,
thank you very much for this information, i wish i had known this earler. What i did not mention in my original post was that i recently had my bird in for maintenance at the Ford dealer, and they (of course) called me and said the tranny was due for a "flush and fill". Now i'll call them back and complain it has has been shifting funky ever since the serviced it.
I'll check on the warranty/recall aspect and advise them about what i have read and ask them to check the fill level and let me test drive it first.
It only rarely shifted hard before service, but it never shifted out of gear. I should have taken it right back since i know they serviced the tranny, but we all get busy and hope it will go away - we should know better.
Thanks again, i have some bullets in my argument now.

Great, Let us know how you make out

Jerry:
More info that may help with your issue, from another owner; he said that he had a tranny flush and his erratic shifying went away.

Last edited:
George,
thank you very much for this information, i wish i had known this earler. What i did not mention in my original post was that i recently had my bird in for maintenance at the Ford dealer, and they (of course) called me and said the tranny was due for a "flush and fill". Now i'll call them back and complain it has has been shifting funky ever since the serviced it.
I'll check on the warranty/recall aspect and advise them about what i have read and ask them to check the fill level and let me test drive it first.
It only rarely shifted hard before service, but it never shifted out of gear. I should have taken it right back since i know they serviced the tranny, but we all get busy and hope it will go away - we should know better.
Thanks again, i have some bullets in my argument now.

Any word yet Jerry?

I have the same problem and did not see a solution listed in the thread. For clarification, it does not shift to neutral, it just hesitates when you need to get going to merge or get around someone which makes you want to "stand on it" to get going....very frustrating, plus it could get you run over. What can be done to make the transmission react quicker to the downshift need?

Still sounds like you need a transmission re-flash. Lincoln dealers are your best bet for this as opposed to Ford dealers.

Tranny in for Service

I just dropped my 04' Tbird off this morning at a Lincoln dealer. They confirmed the trans (amongst other components) is a Lincoln part. It had been serviced (and flushed) at the Ford dealership about six months back and and has had an annoying shift problem since. I just got the first call from the Lincoln dealer who said that there was 3.5 quarts too much fluid in the transmission. This will cause shift issues, (no duh) and they will now let it cool down and then test drive it to see if this is all that was required. I expected to hear there was not enough fluid, I wouldn't have guessed they would put that much extra fluid in there. More as it develops. Thanks again for this forum, it helped me "self-diagnose" the issue and offered great advice.

Jerry:
Thank you so much for the feedback. Maybe it will help others. Glad I could help on this one!! :cool:

I have posted a number of times that the Lincoln dealers are more familiar with the TBirds then the Ford dealers. I'll bet that your new dealer will be the Lincoln dealer. :D

Looking forward to more posts on your TBird, Happy New Year

I have the same problem and did not see a solution listed in the thread. For clarification, it does not shift to neutral, it just hesitates when you need to get going to merge or get around someone which makes you want to "stand on it" to get going....very frustrating, plus it could get you run over. What can be done to make the transmission react quicker to the downshift need?

Tiger:

Post 2 speaks to COPS. Are you sure yours are OK?
If not sure, find a steep hill and go up in high gear, but slow so the engine labors. If it's COPS it should throw a code on the dash readout.
Some of these do not show the code but they start to cut out or hesitate. Another symptom of COP failure or future failure. Let us know...

Tbird back from Lincoln Dealer

Any word yet Jerry?

OK, picked up my 'bird this morning and it shifts perfect and smooth. Dealer (Lincoln) says the filter assembly had popped off the valve and was laying in the pan. This "may" have been caused by the flush and fill the Ford dealer did, but no one wanted to point the finger at them. Service was $413.00, and they kept the car for about 4 days.
I was pleased with their service (Southern Lincoln-Va Beach,Va), they called me to keep me informed and approve additional steps. I'll definitely use them to service this vehicle in the future, since they advised me that most of the driveline is Lincoln anyway.
Thank you all for your help, I hope this reporting helps someone else.
Now I can go back to my restoration of my 1964 Tbird, which needs a lot more work.

Jerry, glad to be of assistance and very pleased with your follow up report. I'm sure others will benefit by your comments.:cool:
Good luck with the '64

i once had a taurus that gave that "hesitation" when accelerated rapidly to merge, pass, etc. the only solution i ever found was to pull it down manually to the gear needed to get off quickly. i do the same with my tbird from habit, though maybe not necessary. i just don't want to be caught in limbo again.

....It should be noted that the transmission is a sealed unit...with no dipstick....should the transmission need work...which, typically it shouldn't, it requires a special technique and tools to perform....of which, all techs. are not capable of doing....creating problems as mentioned here.

Hesitation

Tiger:

Post 2 speaks to COPS. Are you sure yours are OK?
If not sure, find a steep hill and go up in high gear, but slow so the engine labors. If it's COPS it should throw a code on the dash readout.
Some of these do not show the code but they start to cut out or hesitate. Another symptom of COP failure or future failure. Let us know...

Thanks...I will give this a try and let you know.

2004 transmission shifting problem, @ 55,800 miles

Thanks for the forum information.
We have a 2004 T-Bird that has been giving us very poor performance as concerns smooth transmission shifting.
Upon initial engine start and then putting the car into gear the transmission "harshly clunks into reverse". If we let the auto idle for a bit, the transmission seems to engage reverse much more smoothly.
Also -----------
When we are accelerating moderately, (like merging into faster traffic) our transmission stumbles badly and we have to really "get-on" the gas to have it shift. We notice that upon very aggressive acceleration the transmission shifts very well, very smooth and positive shifting. We took our auto to a FORD dealership and asked them to check the transmission (they did check the transmission fluid) and when we got it back it appeared no better than before, possibly even worse.
Also ----------
In town driving below 45 mph with normal traffic conditions our transmission REALLY stumbles as it shifts gears "up or down".
We have made an appointment to get our Bird to a Lincoln dealer to check our transmission issue and will report to everyone our results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back