Crank no start 1996 v8 4.6

Cynthia63
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I'm at a loss for what to do. A couple weeks ago I ran my car out of gas when I tried to start it when I got it towed home I did not hear the fuel pump so I replace the fuel pump the fuel filter and tried to start it again nothing it'll turn over but it won't catch. So then I replaced everything it seems I'm flying by the seat of my pants here and YouTube has been my only friend. So here's a list of all I've replaced I've put in new spark plugs and wires new coil packs I put in an idle air control valve ,a fuel pressure regulator, and I've cleaned the mass air flow sensor and the throttle body. I'm 56 years old single woman and limited income so I'm doing the best I can here but now it will turn over and if I spray it with starter fluid it'll stay running for a few minutes sounds really good but then chokes backfires and dies. I took the top off the Schrader valve and tested for pressure I'm not getting any is very little it's a little better since I put on the pressure regulator but it's still not shooting out. So either it's not getting fuel or its not getting air I'm at a loss I need some help here please or some suggestions I'm running out of money and patience and I take care of my 83 year-old mom so I really need to get this car going it's all we gotI'm thinking that I might have to flush the fuel rail but I'm not sure how to do that and I don't have a lot of high-tech equipment at my disposal any help would be appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
@Cynthia63 I sold these cars when they were new. I think it has a fuel inertia switch Located on inner quarter panel back in the trunk. If you had it towed, this would make sense that this was set off. Let me know if this was the issue. Part #14.
JP93138.png
download.jpeg

I just checked my '96 V-8 T-bird. The shutoff switch is in the trunk on the left-hand side, just inside the back of the trunk, towards the top. There is an opening in the trunk liner so that you can see it, reach in, and push the button down. (I have had a similar situation with my '03 Crown Vic.) I hope that this helps.

I just checked my '96 V-8 T-bird. The shutoff switch is in the trunk on the left-hand side, just inside the back of the trunk, towards the top. There is an opening in the trunk liner so that you can see it, reach in, and push the button down. (I have had a similar situation with my '03 Crown Vic.) I hope that this helps.
Can you post a photo?

I'm at a loss for what to do. A couple weeks ago I ran my car out of gas when I tried to start it when I got it towed home I did not hear the fuel pump so I replace the fuel pump the fuel filter and tried to start it again nothing it'll turn over but it won't catch. So then I replaced everything it seems I'm flying by the seat of my pants here and YouTube has been my only friend. So here's a list of all I've replaced I've put in new spark plugs and wires new coil packs I put in an idle air control valve ,a fuel pressure regulator, and I've cleaned the mass air flow sensor and the throttle body. I'm 56 years old single woman and limited income so I'm doing the best I can here but now it will turn over and if I spray it with starter fluid it'll stay running for a few minutes sounds really good but then chokes backfires and dies. I took the top off the Schrader valve and tested for pressure I'm not getting any is very little it's a little better since I put on the pressure regulator but it's still not shooting out. So either it's not getting fuel or its not getting air I'm at a loss I need some help here please or some suggestions I'm running out of money and patience and I take care of my 83 year-old mom so I really need to get this car going it's all we gotI'm thinking that I might have to flush the fuel rail but I'm not sure how to do that and I don't have a lot of high-tech equipment at my disposal any help would be appreciated
I'm troubleshooting a similar issue with my 97 Thunderbird, one possibility I ran across is a computer box near the radiator on the passenger side. I forget what it's called, but I do remember it was an expensive part like 200 or 300, which I couldn't afford so it's still broke lol. I'll try to look it up again and post a link here if I can find it.

After reading the problems you have , it sounds familiar . When you run the t-bird out of gas it there's some steps to starting it again.
That's assuming it's your issue , if you had car towed the inertia switch / fuel cut off is a possibility, drivers side of trunk behind carpet . If the button actually pushes and clicks then that may be all IF the motor was turning. No crank at all , would not be the shut off switch , having it towed the vehicle anti theft system,or VATS may have awoken the cars brain and it won't let you start til you clear code , turn off with remote ( key fob ) or look for the valet switch .
Very close to your hood latch , facing the floor near the screws that hold the bottom of the dash. Turn key in on position while holding the small button in for 3to 5 seconds and then try to start it . Thus happens if you change battery as well , or if it gets too low. Hope you figure it out .

I have never seen an inertia switch popped by a tow truck. Ever. My brother owns a tow company, I have 3 myself.
It seems to me that you need to check the fuel pump relay. If you have no fuel at the Schrader valve the pump is not working. It an electric problem. Check the switch, then the relay. If both are good get under the car and make sure there's no damaged wires.

Back