Corroded body section on 1962 | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Corroded body section on 1962

• Thread starter Thread starter Fred Vo
  • Start date Start date
F
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Hello,
I 'm looking to buy a 62 that has areas that are really good: all trim present, interrior very good and original, all exterior trim present, no major external body damage, original engine. good price. Except that two areas have a severe rust problem. I'm doing research to see if I should get the car or if the major stuff is beyond my skills.

The car has rust through on the rear upper wheel wells. I opened the trunk and saw daylight looking down into the wheel opening. The corrosion seems limited to the upper part. The driver side has no corrosion whatsoever. I did notice that the area was covered with some crumbling trunk liner. I 'm suspecting water intrusion and a soaked liner corroding the inner fender over time But i can't find anyone selling replacement, weld-in panels. Or should i think about having one fabricated?

Second, and somewhat connected, the flat area between the bottom of the rear window and the forward lip of the trunk lid is rusted badly. I suspect it might be connected to the wheel well issue. The owner says that part is a trim panel, but i can't find what it's called or where to source a replacement. My girlfriend suggested i take photos and i didn't. But i've attached a photo from another bird that shows the exact areas.

Last, the car is on flat tires. I want to take a jack and really have a good look underneath, should I look at any area in particular, any area where corrosion would be a "kiss of death" or a very expensive repair? I want to take my time and restore the car but don't want to get in over my head. I also have access to the original owner. any questions i should ask? I LOVE the bullet bird. I was grinning from ear to ear all along but don't want to make a wrong move. Thank you all in advance.
Ford62TbirdCreme18.jpg

upload_2019-9-25_9-2-45.png

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The panel at the base of the back glass unbolts from in the trunk, as far as the other issue, anything can be fixed, even if it shouldn’t, but that takes time money and skill . These cars are unibody any rust is a huge issue if you seeing this imagine what you don’t see.

I've a 62 too, as mentioned the panel below the rear screen is unboltable and sure you'd get 2nd hand. Mine had a few small holes which were easy repairs. Below that is part of the main body and water can get trapped but not seen any replacement sections for that area so would be custom. Mine had the rear left / right trunk floors pretty well rusted which was due to the boot floor matting and the heat from the exhaust boxes. Possibly trunk seal which was virtually crumbled away! I was told the wheel wells are the place to look - think thats around the rear wheels as water is thrown around that area. Obviously floor pans worth checking but available if major.

Thank you so much for your help so far. I will continue the research. A friend of mine has a husband who does this kind of restoration and she's volunteered him to accompany me on a return trip to the car. I'll bring a floor jack, obtain permission to lift the car, and have a more in-depth look-see. Like i told my gf, it's a 70/30 (good/bad) car, but the 30% that's not awesome or that i haven't seen could bite me in the butt. will update. Thanks again.

If the you see rust that is rot then expect to cut back pretty far to clean metal. As mentioned before these cars are unibody so any rust or rot underneath can be VERY costly to get replaced. Which begs the question... could you find another one that isn’t so rotted away? I would look around and try and find one without having to worry about rust repair. Bullet birds are not very expensive to get nowadays. You can find them in much better shape and still not have to pay an arm and a leg for them.

thank you all so much. I'm taking my friend and a low profile jack over this weekend. I'll take pics and take it from there. Your advice is very sensible.

based on your great advice, and with the help of a friend who's been restoring cars for decades, i pulled the trigger and bought my bullet bird. i am beyond stoked. I'm sure i'll be calling on your collective wisdom as i transform her into a nice, solid Sunday cruiser and thank you all in advance.

Back