COP wires 2002 Thunderbird | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

COP wires 2002 Thunderbird

• Thread starter Thread starter Thomasj
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first post and I am a kind of novice mechanic; however, I can usually figure out how to do various things after some research. I've just changed the plug and coil for cylinder #4 and the car is running much better. That well had a lot of oil in it. I now plan to change the valve cover gaskets, etc., and think I can accomplish that. My questions are: Should I change the wires that hook into the coils and where in the world do the wires originate and can I get to it? Should I change them? Also, since "fixing #4," the engine light is still on, but not flashing, and although the car runs much better, it's not just right. Is someone willing to give me a little advice/Help?

Thanks.

Thomas

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Thomas, welcome...... You are brave, I look under my hood and shut it almost immediately😀
I too am not a mechanic and do not know where things are or where they go to. But, from what I understand, those who have done their own work have also changed out the boots when they did the coils & plugs. Just a thought.
In the past seven years not one has posted or mentioned changing the wires.
Some have changed the gaskets though.
Finally, most often when one goes there has always been another that turned out marginal.
Members that I have read about usually take the car to Pep Boys or other automotive stores that will put your car on test for the coils and then you buy the parts from them - Supposed to be free tests.

BTW, your book should tell you what the engine light means when it is 'steady on'. I believe it says when flashing, 'get to a dealer'

Thomas:
As I said I am not mechanically inclined but another owners suggested the following:

"Since he says he has oil in the well, it's probably the ring seal below the plug that has leaked. That means the head has to come off and the ring seal replaced. Of course since he has the head off, then he probably should replace all 4 ring seals - not just the valve cover gasket. And he says he's not much of a mechanic so he might want to leave that job to an expert."

Just thought I should pass this info along to you. Good luck!

Sorry about that Thomas, where it says 'ring seal', change that to be O-ring seal

Cops Problem

We recently had a police car that had some cops problems (no pun). Same problems/one going bad after another. I had them change the troubled one. The next failed. Finally found oil leak. Leak turned out to be from a leaky intake manifold. My new cars arrived so I didn't spend the $$ to fix it. I think they quoted about $750 to pull the intake and repair and replace two other cops. I just had the Ford dealer clean the cops and it is ok at least to sell the car at auction. Now keep in mind that this is for a Crown Vic 4.6 liter but the same concepts apply.

The check engine light needs to be reset by the dealer or a repair facility that has the proper computer. The code that sets the light doesn't reset itself.

Ticket Ted
2003 Bird

Thomas:
One last note on that engine light staying on:
"George, I forgot to add this as several have mentioned that they have gotten a solid engine warning light but engine appeared to run fine. When they've had them checked out, they've had to have the 02 sensor replaced. He might want a reading taken at Auto Zone and see what code the engine is giving out."

I had same problem on my 2003 F250. It took a great Tech to find the COP. no code. I thought the problem was transmision. It was missing at 4500 rpm.Once fixed no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back