Coil on plug (COPS) Potential replacements | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Coil on plug (COPS) Potential replacements

• Thread starter Thread starter George
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

George

Passed Away July 25, 2015
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
For those who may be interested, now or in the future, I thought I would pass along some information that a fellow car enthusiast is working on, that affects us and our cars. He has been addressing Lincoln LS but the coils are the same in the Birds, so if you are interested, read on. He says:

"My name is John and I have a Lincoln LS. I belong to one of the Lincoln LS forums and recently started to suffer issues with misfiring ignition coils. I tried to find a source for better Coil-On-Plug units but the best I could do were OEM replacement units.
Then I made contact with Granatelli Motor Sports and found out that they could make "Heavy Duty High Peformance COP's", but they seemed unaware of any need for them. I informed them that the LS owners had lots of issues with them and started an Email campaign to convince them to begin production.
Now since the Lincoln LS's and Your T-Birds use the same engines and coils, I'm asking you as well to contribute to the email campaign.
Please just send me a simple EMail that says "Yes, I want HD coils" and include whether you have a V6 or V8 and I will forward it to GMS.
My email is JESHELDAHL@***********. "

Note: All of this was done last September and I appologize that I did not post it here. I have stay in contact with John and here is the latest response to me this morning:

"George, the only thing that will us, help them (the suppliers), is having TBird owners send me emails so I can forward it to my two vendors. It looks like one is close to a produceable prototype for the V8 and then hopefully they will continue with the V6's in the Lincolns.
In the mean time keep the emails coming."

Once again, John's email is jesheldahl@*********** Please note that the V8 prototype is close. That is the one for our Birds!!

The more emails he gets the faster we will get replacements, and hopefully at a better cost.
For all of you Tbirders that have had issues and not contacted John he needs input from everyone so please email him if you haven't done so.
If you have sent in your request, thank you. Remember our cars are getting close to warranty expiration so it is better to do your thing now.
If you have had coils replaced under warranty and not told John he needs that info as well. Even the extended warranties will run out some day and you will need these.
This is all the email has to say; "Yes, I want HD coils". and mention that it is a V8. John will forward the info to GMS and/or other suppliers.

Thanks for reading this

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

By the way, for those interested in the TSB (tech service bulletin) for the C.O.P.S, I just postd that info here:

Last edited by a moderator:
jonibook
If your message was to me, for the Adobe file on the COPS TSB, I just emailed it to you.

EDIT: 5PM
Joni, I cut and pasted your email address as you posted it. It it bounced back as invalid

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back