Cleaning Pacific Coast Roadster | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Cleaning Pacific Coast Roadster

• Thread starter Thread starter jeffie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been taking pride in keeping my car super clean, but I need suggestions for cleaning 2 things unique to the PCR. First, the soft top is a light color, and it has developed black marks on the sides, which I assume are from the gaskets rubbing when the top is down (the pattern of the marks is the same on both sides of the top). Neither the dealer nor my detail shop know what to do with it.
Also, the seats have a light green suede leather that's starting to show dirt. Has anyone found a safe way to clean the suede?
Thanks from a new member.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Pcr Tops

Jeff:
I'll post here first re. PCR tops and then a separate post will cover Top Cleaner, below, and finally a post below for your seats. Note: These are postings from other PCR owners, I hope it helps, but read all three posts below:

"We have not had any problems with the PCR soft top and the 303 product. It's been on my car at least 2 months. I did have some smudgy-looking , almost "dirty" areas before my husband did the top. He cleaned the areas (which did seem to be at fold areas) with 303 fabric cleaner first, then put the 303 protector stuff on after it dried.
He says try using the 303 cleaner on a lintfree rag, (be careful not to rough up the nap) just on those spots...should wipe off since the sealer is on there. Let it dry, then reapply the sealer to the areas lightly."

Another post, "The '03 owners manual recommends using Motorcraft Detail Wash, part # ZC-3-A for the top. I have also used it to remove some significant mildew type stains from the boot. I applied it with a soft bristle brush and allowed the boot to air dry. All traces of the stains are gone and it had no effect on the color. The cleaner was available through my dealer."
Jeff, you may check the index of your owners manual

"I use the 303 convertible top kit. It took about 45 minutes to scrub and wash the top twice with the cleaner. Then after it dried, it took about an hour to mask off the car...you DO NOT want to have to clean any of this off paint, glass, or weatherstripping! It's a *itch to get off. Then about 10 minutes to spray the protectant on the top. It will dry overnight and be road-ready in the morning. They recommend 24 hours drying time, but 12 hours should be okay."

Last edited:
INFO ON 303Top Cleaner

"I totally agree with you I have been using the following 303 products with Excellent results:

1. 303 Fabric Convertible Top Cleaner to Clean the Soft Top.

ONCE THE SOFT TOP IS TOTALLY DRY.

2. 303 High Tech Fabric Guard is powerful enough to protect the Soft Top fabric.

3. 303 Aerospace Protectant keeps UV-sensitive materials like our leather seats and dash board.
This Product is extremely efficient because it has SPF 40 sunscreen for your leather seats and dash board. Convertible cars require this protection.

For technical information go to:

http://www.properautocare.com/303auti.html"

Another poster:
"Will it change the Ash color?:
"The PCR top will initially absorb the sealant. The ash top, unlike the black tops, doesn't repel or 'bead' water. It has more of a brushed finish. Ensure the top is clean and dry, then mask off the 'non-top' portions and glass areas, spray the 303 liberally to ensure good coverage. Allow the top to dry naturally (basically overnight) and the top will never show evidence that you ever touched it. This stuff basically dries invisible. Do not worry about it changing the color of the top. It didn't affect ours at all."

Last edited:
Now the Suede seats - info

"I recently purchased a 2004 Thunderbird with preferred suede inserts in the
seats. It is a very nice material. Do you have any information on this
material that you could forward to me? I would be especially interested in
wear characteristics and how to clean and care for it. Thanking you in
advance.
Best Regards,
xxxxxx"

Reply from Milliken & Company:
Dear Mr. xxxxxxxx,
We hope that you are enjoying your 2004 Ford Thunderbird with PREFERRED
SUEDE seating surfaces. You are correct in identifying Milliken & Company
as the supplier of the PREFERRED SUEDE material in your vehicle.

PREFERRED SUEDE by Milliken is a man-made suede strategically selected by
Ford Motor Company for its superior performance, softness and durability to
natural animal suede. PREFERRED SUEDE offers an alternative to the
traditional automotive leather interior and should be cared for as you
would any fine material. I am including some care and maintenance "do's
and don'ts" below.

If you do have a spill on the material, try to blot up as quickly as
possible with a clean, dry cloth. If the spill cannot be cleaned right
away or if it leaves some residue, use a clean cloth dampened in a mild
detergent solution (1 part mild detergent to 10 parts water) to clean
the affected area. After you have cleaned the affected area, use
another dry cloth to blot the area and dry any remaining moisture.

Never saturate the area with water.

Never use any dry-cleaning solutions or other cleaners containing
solvents.

Also, please note that Scotchgard and other related fabric protectant
sprays are not needed on PREFERRED SUEDE as this product was designed to
have excellent clean-ability and durability characteristics without these
types of additives. Also, these protectant sprays may contain solvents
which would cause color degradation problems with the material. We would
not recommend their use.

Thank you for your interest in PREFERRED SUEDE. If we can be of further
assistance with this product or any other questions, please do not hesitate
to contact me via email at the following address:
stacy.walker@milliken.com

Best Regards,
Stacy Walker
Marketing Communications Director
Milliken & Company, Global Automotive Textiles

Preferred Suede is a registered trademark of Milliken & Company.
Scotchgard is a registered trademark of 3M Corporation.

Jeff that's about it for now - Hope it helps!!
George

Pcr

George,
Thanks for the great information. I had no idea I had PREFERRED SUEDE rather than the real thing - I think I prefer PREFERRED.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back