Chrome wheel problem | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Chrome wheel problem

• Thread starter Thread starter yrbamje
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

yrbamje

Reaction score
I have searched the site and haven't found anything that I can interpret as being close to my situation. So here goes. Any comments or help is appreciated.
Several weeks ago, my wife called me and said she had a flat tire. She called AAA. The wrecker driver first put air in the tire to see what happened. Well, nothing. The tire held. He looked over the tire really good and didn't see any holes, foreign objects or anything that would cause the flat.
I took it to my tire guy. He took the tire off, did a complete exam and also couldn't find anything. He took off the tire from the wheel and saw that the bead had come loose. He put a lot of gunky stuff on it pumped it up and we went on our way.
Today, the tire was flat again. Again AAA came out, same guy as last time. Pumped it up. I went back to my tire guy. Did all the stuff he did before. Except for one thing. He said that the chrome on the inside was flaking off and this was causing a bad seal of the tire to the wheel. He said he cleaned the chrome, put the gunky stuff on, filled the tire and said this ought to take care of it.
Otherwise, rechrome wheel or get a new one.
My question is simple. Has anyone had something like this happen or something similiar? $200+ to rechrome, $400-500 for new wheel.
Help!!!!!!!!!
Jim

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

This seems to be a problem that happens when brake dust sits on the wheel too long and actually eats away at the wheel. Since these cars only have the front face and not the whole wheel chromed, you are probably better off finding a good chrome shop to rechrome it. Those shops can work wonders.

I have had a problem in the past on my last two Caddies. A very reputable tire shop ground down the inside edges, coated them and re-mounted the tire.
He said that the aluminum wheels are prone to develop oxidation under the chrome, but just in spots. Once that happens it could mean an annual cleaning of that particular wheel.
They all do not do that. It depends on how good it was prepped when it was manufactured.
Never had an issue with the TBird or my wifes car though.

Well, I have information on chroming (sp?) wheels.
According to the tire/wheel manger of the store, there are only a few places in the country that rechrome wheels and it takes about 6 WEEKS!!!!!!!!
It takes that long because of all the hazardous materials involved in the process; accessing them, disposing of them, etc.
So, looks like I will get a new wheel. And not from the dealer. The man I talked to is going to look for one.
So, now I know all. Or at least I believe I do.
Jim

Jim:
I bought a set of the '02/'03 painted ones and had them chromed at Paul's chrome plating in NJ.
These came out beautiful and look just like the Neiman-Marcus wheels.
It does take 5-7 weeks though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back