Chrome Strip For Hardtop

Status
Not open for further replies.
rolleyes.gif
Well it seems Ford dropped the ball on this one as far as design. I was going to put a Dupont strip where my hard top meets the body but only 2 months of having the car and my paint is already showing signs of wear. From what I hear there will be a chrome strip on this part of the car for the 03's. I feel we all have to check into this for our 02 cars. One thing I am wondering about is if we put this on our 02's will this do anything to the value of our's as far as being original cars, I don't care about this myself but it may be a concern for some. This is just something to kick around for now. Any comments welcome. I am really thinking about getting this put on my Bird if it will fit and is available.

frown.gif
Update 4/1/02 I just talked to my salesman and their body shop guy. They have not heard anything about this YET. I think most of the cars they got in before mine are sitting in garages somewhere and the owners haven't ran into this problem yet. My salesman did say that if this is a major problem with everyone that Ford may have a recall on them. I told them about the chrome strip being put on the 03's.

I guess what I am getting at here is that we as a group of over 400 now get together and some how report this to Ford or reporting this to each of our own dealers just to get this problem on record. I would think as a group we may have more pull in getting this taken care of for our 02's. This is just my opion but I fell we have to do something. We SHOULD NOT have to fix this problem ourselves by putting a clear covering on this part. This is not like putting a clear covering on the front of the car for stone chips or on the quarter panels. This is a design problem and should be taken care of by FORD.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond

MODERATOR NOTE 2020- Buy on ebay- https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...teid=0&campid=5338178599&toolid=20008&mkevt=1

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I think we as a group need a voluntary recall on this critical flub by FORD.

If all cars are made the way they should have been, we wouldn't be worried about our paint being ground up by some penny-pinching ex-CEO Jac Nasser and his bunch.

If FORD want's me to believe they are turning around some of the worst quality in years they will be calling.

Dot brought up a good point, the gaskets on the '02 tops may need to be tweeked. If so, this would cost hundreds of dollars.

Are you listening Ford? Please respond before you make 25,000 cars that will have a terrible scratch mark in the beautiful rear deck.

------------------
'56 Fiesta Red Bird
'02 Neiman Marcus Bird
Can't find a better way to Fly!

Concerned that the new chrome strip will definitely result in the hardtop having to also be modified. Can't see the existing hardtop fitting over this piece of chrome. Can anyone provide a better description of the actual size and location of this molding?

CTBob

My wife and I toured the Wixom plant on 3/21/02. I saw the chrome trim piece on two Robin Egg Blue 2003 Birds. The trim piece is on the edge of the rear deck where the soft top enters the body. This is one piece and measures about 1 1/2" wide x 1/16" thick. I spoke to one person on the assmbly line and he said only two additional holes had to be drilled for this piece to be installed.

I think the least FORD could do is offer this at no cost to retrofit the o2 Birds for the abrasion damage already done.

Mike - West Chester, Ohio
Blue/Blue - Premium - Full Accent
Delivered on 3/26/02 - not one flaw -PERFECT
Vin 1FAHP60A32Y113896
Build Sequence 4746

------------------

whiskeyman,

Thank you for the description and insight into this very importantant issue.
The Blue Oval News board is known for the ability to get class action on this type of problem.

I ask the members of this board to get together and have our nearly four hundred members email Mickey D'Armi if FORD does not contact one of us immediately.

This problem is only going to get worse, and should be corrected at the dealership level ASAP. I for one don't want to show my car's ugly scratches caused by poor design or penny pinching in the upcoming Spring and Summer car shows.

The supplier of the chrome strip should start 24 hour production, to catch up with all of the cars built in the next two months.

I have researched the 3M vinyl and it would not last and cost too much and the damage on my paint exceeds $100 repair already!

This issue is BIG. Don't just lurk around it, start posting, calling Ford, or your dealers pronto.

Thanks, FD

------------------
'56 Fiesta Red Bird
'02 Neiman Marcus Bird
Can't find a better way to Fly!

biggrin.gif
fdnmbird , I didn't think of BON but this is a good forum to contact on this problem. Thank's Spence

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies

-

-

GOBIRD,

I just spoke with FORD customer service and the gentleman has not heard of this issue, and I was the first 2002 Bird owner with a concern other than delivery dates.

He is going to forward up the chain of command this issue and info from Whiskeyman. I have put off going to the dealer with this for a better solution than just color sanding the scratches.

The prototype cars need only a few hundred miles to see if the rub is bad enough to damage the chrome or stainless steel.

I ask all to look at your cars, and if you have damage call the Ford customer service or your dealer.

I will email M D'Armi and wait for his reply and post it.

FD

-

eek.gif
fdmnbird and ALL other Bird owners!! I just got a call from my dealer in the body shop. He advised me to call Customer Relations Center Ph# is 1-800-392-3673. I would strongly suggest that everyone on this board CALL this number and report this problem. I was also told by the person that I talked to that they have not heard about this problem as of now. THEY NEED TO HEAR ABOUT IT NOW. He was very friendly and took all my info. and said he would forward it to the proper people. If We want this fixed then WE have to make the call and raise some HE-L about it to get anything done. Hope all of you do your part. Joe and all others!!

WE NEED TO KEEP THIS AT THE TOP OF THE BOARD AND NOT LET IT GET BURIED!!

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies

-

-

since they have never heard of the problem, I guess the 2003 solution is some cosmetic trim someone thought just looks good?

------------------
neiman vin#00035
delivered October 4, 2001

frown.gif
I can't blame the person I talked to at Customer Relations, because he doesn't have anything to do with that part of it. I'm sure Ford DOES know of the problem because they have come up with a fix on it for the 03's. rlstonejr, plaese make the call if you want it fixed.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies

-

-

I agree with Fdnmbird and Gobird 100%. This is serious. However, many of us have yet to receive our cars but still would have the same concerns as others.
Therefore, is it possible for our moderators to generate a poll on the yahoo website for the "newtbirddatagroup" that everyone could respond to?
This way, the response will be greater and show more solidarity and the entire list could possibly be forwarded to Ford.

Hi Gobird!

Per your suggestion, I called the Customer Relations Center (CRC) to report slight scratching on the rear deck of my awesome red Thunderbird. Sutliff Capital Ford in Harrisburg has seen this damage and they have agreed to repair it this fall when I'm ready to put the hard top back on the vehicle. CRC's Georgette and Emile both advised me that Ford doesn't have a published "fix" for this problem yet (wet sanding, repainting, and installation of a transparent strip is a "brute force" approach that is not a long-term "fix"). This looks like a Catch 22 situation: owners are not reporting the problem and dealers appear to be waiting for the ultimate "fix". End result: nobody's calling Ford! Let's elevate this issue by FLOODING the phone lines . . .

biggrin.gif
Red Roadster, Yes I agree with you FLOOD THE PHONE LINES. This is the only way we will get any results.

By the way you are not far from me and welcome to the board.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies

-

Just a reminder - Mickie D'Armi is no longer with the Thunderbird program - he has moved on to another job. Can't remember who took his place but it's posted under one of the old topics.

I called the number and reported the problem. They took my report and then suggested I show my dealer the problem.
As soon as I got to the dealer, he pulled up the "Oasis" looking for any TSB's on the car. HERE IS WHAT HE FOUND. I quote from the TSB: "Some 2002 Thunderbirds may exhibit paint scuffing under the removable top seal area. The paint scuffing and/or marring will appear under the removable top seal on the quarter panels and upper back panel area. ENGINEERING IS AWARE OF THE CONDITION AND EXPECTS TO HAVE A SERVICE ACTION AVAILABLE DURING THE SECOND QUARTER 2002(Bold added by me). If you encounter a vehicle with this condition, please submit an EDSR. Please also continue to monitor Oasis for updated information".
In other words, folks, Ford is going to offer a solution and there is no reason to "flood" the service lines or start a class action suit or any other action for that matter. It seems to me that many of us complain about things on the car, yet we don't go where we should first to see what, if anything can be done, namely the Ford Dealer Service Department. Creeks, rattles, misaligned panels, scratches, tears, mechanical problems, all these and more are the reason there are service departments. I am sure Ford wants us to be happy with our cars and will bend over backwards to help us, however, if we start to harrass them by flooding phone lines, starting suits, etc. we will be the losers in the end. Remember, this is a new car -- let's give them a chance to improve it and more importantly, let's give them a chance to fix what's wrong.

-

DavidA , If they take care of the problem then I have no problem with this as long as it is done Right. All I am trying to do is to get everyone to let their dealer know what the problem is and also to call the 800 number to let them know. I was told to call this number by my dealer to report the problem. I feel we need to stress this to FORD so it is taken care of in a timely fashion. I hope everything works out in the end, But we need to tell them what the problem is as a whole to get our point across.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies

-

Gobird: according to the TSB (Technical Service Bulletin), Ford is definately aware of the problem - "ENGINEERING IS AWARE OF THE CONDITION". They are also taking care of it in a timely fashion as they state that, "(they)EXPECT TO HAVE A SERVICE ACTION AVAILABLE DURING THE SECOND QUARTER 2002". I don't think it can be done faster than that, but what do I know. All I was trying to say is, why flog a horse that's trying it's best. IF, on the other hand you/we are not satisfied with the "fix", that is the time for group action. I for one am perfectly willing to wait and see what they come up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back