Brake pedal right to floor | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Brake pedal right to floor

• Thread starter Thread starter staudy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
staudy

staudy

Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
I just purchased an 03 in June and yesterday the brake pedal went right to the floor. It only has 26000 miles on it and it happened when backing out of the garage. I put it in park and pumped it up. The fluid was only down to the seam in the plastic resevoure and I filled it to below max. There are no leaks at the wheels or around the master cyl. I started it again and it went to the floor and I was able to pump it back up. It seems OK for now but I'm afraid to drive it. Are there any issues with the master cyl on the 03's. I'm taking it back to the Ford dealer tomorrow but they will probably say they can't find anything wrong because it is working now.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I just purchased an 03 in June and yesterday the brake pedal went right to the floor. It only has 26000 miles on it and it happened when backing out of the garage. I put it in park and pumped it up. The fluid was only down to the seam in the plastic resevoure and I filled it to below max. There are no leaks at the wheels or around the master cyl. I started it again and it went to the floor and I was able to pump it back up. It seems OK for now but I'm afraid to drive it. Are there any issues with the master cyl on the 03's. I'm taking it back to the Ford dealer tomorrow but they will probably say they can't find anything wrong because it is working now.
I don't think they can fluff it off since it's working now. From a liability standpoint, they should have to go over the entire brake system and check it out
Look up TSB's on the web to see what's outstanding fot Thunderbirds for brakes

Although this is not "pedal to floor", there is a braking issue. Did you get any code on the dash display?? See the following:

"Special Service Message - SSM# 3208 - 2003/2005 Thunderbird - DTC C1145 and/or C1155
Some 2003-2005 LS & Thunderbird vehicles equipped with a bolt-on ABS wheel speed sensor may exhibit the Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) warning indicator and traction control or advancetrac light on (ABS Equipped) with DTC C1145 and/or C1155 retrieved from the ABS module. To service, replace the front wheel speed sensor with P# 5W4Z-2C204-AA and apply a thin film of XG-3-A (Motorcraft Silicone Brake Caliper Grease and Dielectric Compound) To the O-Ring and the portion of the sensor which is in the cap. Also cover the slides and the end of the he sensor cylinder with XG-3-A"

Also shown on TSB 04-22-13 which is a pdf file - Diagnostic trouble codes for anti lock brakes

Last edited:
George should the above cost on this be picked-up by Ford? (ABS) My light went on today ABS and Trac Light.Dropped it at the dealer and he said it might be a sensor.I have an extended warranty with a $50.00 deduct on it but I would rather not pay it.Thanks Ed

Ed:
I believe it would be covered 100% under the original warranty, if it hasn't expired.
However, if you're now under the extended warranty you'll probably get hit for the $50.00 deductible. Note: Sometimes you'll find, with some dealers, if you are a faithfull customer they may eat the $50.00, but that's strickly their call. Let us know how you make out please.

Thanks George,still waiting for the car ,they just received the sensor it was the right rear.Will have to pay the $50 ded.but I'm glad I took the advise of other members and took out the extended warranty.I also had them change the oil,rotate and balance the tires,change the fuel filter and air cleaner.First time at the dealer so lets see if they let the $50 go😀 Vehicle has 12,000 miles so it was time for some regular maintanance as above , would have liked to put a K&N air filter,next time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back