Bizarre Incident with a Key; Stupid Me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
And, when there is a total battery failure, is there an e-prom that maintains the memory? I certainly hope it's not volotile memory, or we're all in for some rude awakenings when the batteries begin to fail.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I would also hope the keycodes are stored in non-volatile memory [memory that doesn't require power for retention]. We know that this is true in at least one case - the odometer setting. I have to wonder why they didn't use the same kind of memory to retain other programmable data such as drop glass and adaptive transmission learning?

BTW, I reread the owner's manual section (pp. 91-93) on ignition key programming and it says you may program up to eight keys at a time. You need to start with two pre-programmed keys. Perhaps this is to prevent someone from borrowing the car and making a spare without permission of the owner. Wheels within wheels...

I'm going completely off of memory, but I think it is in the owners manual where you can have up to eight keys. (I read a write up on this someplace) And yes I think you need all the prior keys to add another.

This is a different system then is on other Ford cars and trucks.

This sounds the same as the old PATS (perimeter anti-theft system). When you got an extra key you had to bring all existing keys with you so they could all be programed at one time. If you did not have all the keys only the new ones being programmed would work because the ECU programmed the keys with a new code. This left the old keys with the old code & the engine would not start. I'm all but sure that this new system is working the same way. If you have four keys and one set of your keys are lost, when you have a new one made you program it and the existing three. Now if turns out someone stole the keys, the stolen key will not start the car because the keys were programmed with a new code from the ECU.
You can program new keys yourself as long as you have a minimum of two working keys. If you only have one key, or no keys, then the car must be hooked to the Ford computer to program the keys. When a tech hooks up the computer to program keys, during the process the computer goes into a pause mode for 20 minutes before letting the tech continue with the programming. This is so if a thief gets hold of a hand held computer he is more than likely not going to make a key, start the progamming of the key, wait twenty minutes and then finish the programming sequence so he can steal the car. Thief wants a car he can break into and steal in less than a minute.

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back