battery replacement | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

battery replacement

• Thread starter Thread starter jcp429
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2004 T Bird still refuses to starts ( see starting issue from yesterday)
Have charged battery but only reads 60% charged so possible bad cell.
Will go to Ford dealership to buy and replace myself since I can't start the car. Question: Will any codes or alarm settings have to be reset by the
dealership should I replace the battery myself? Or should I have the T bird
taken to the dealership for battery replacement. I have read many posts on this forum noting that aftermarket batteries are not the way due to venting issue. Your thought pls. Regards-John

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

John:
I sent you an email, hopefully some of that data will help.
I would suggest you go to the dealer. Battery installed, should be around $110. I'm am surprised however since it's opnly an '04
I'm still good to go with my '02 after 6 years. However, I do use the Battery Manager

More info I found in my files that I copied from somewhere:

"After I had a new battery installed, The dealer left off the vent tube connection to the battery. Does the tube just slide into an opening at the rear (negative) end, top of the battery. Seems like I'm having a hard time fitting the tube in the rectangle opening."

"
The tube is oval shaped and it fits over a nipple type fitting coming off the battery. It is at the top of the battery, centered on the shorter side nearest the negative terminal. That is as much as I remember off the top of my head from having swapped the battery in December."

I'll bet the dealer left off the nipple. I can only feel a rectangle opening at the top center end of the negative side. I'll bet there is a piece that fits into the battery then allows for the hose to fit onto that piece. I hope someone can clarify.

The nipple is made into the battery. Did you get the correct replacement battery?

Problem fixed. The hose hooks up to the top of the rectangle with the top part of the hose overlapping onto the top of the battery. The top part of the rectangle opening is the vent opening. Thanks

For other members that may be interested or want to replace their own battery as needed, listed below is data for replacement batteries -
Note: there is a cable change for late 2005's -info from the Motorcraft website. According to Motorcraft website, these are the part numbers:

2002-2005 (before 1-10-05) Battery to ground cable WC95703

2005 after 1-10-05.............Battery to ground cable WC95952

2002-2005........................Junction to starter cable WC95702

2002-2005........................Battery, 100 month wet. BXT66-650
650 CCA -reserve Min = 130 tested tough Max 36 month Free Replacement

Most dealers are $109 + labor

I'll put my nickle in the discussion. Several weeks ago, the red bird wouldn't start. Had it towed to the dealer. (Not Ford but Lincoln dealer.) They checked and the battery had a dead cell. My extended warranty paid the towing but not the battery. Battery replaced at 109.95 plus installation. They said that this was the only replacement battery for the thunderbird. I guess they are right, but it seems odd.
Anyway, that's my contribution to the thread. Oh yes, 44500 miles on the '05 vehicle. My wife drives it everyday.

My dealer still has the discounted battery deal going on that I took advantage of in December.

The installation at the dealer is no charge as the deal is an installed price of $79.95. The cost was $99.95 with a $20 mail in rebate coupon. I haven't seen the $20 rebate check yet but they say it takes about 30days.

Have the dealer install it as some items need to be reset after the power is lost.

One item is the windows. To make sure they get reset. Power both down to the bottom of the door and hold the power window buttons for ten seconds. Then raise both windows to the top and again, hold the buttons for ten seconds.

This will set the windows so that they automatically raise and lower the small amount needed to adjust to the top when the door is opened or closed.

Rick Rae

A real daily driver.....

I'll put my nickle in the discussion. Several weeks ago, the red bird wouldn't start. Had it towed to the dealer. (Not Ford but Lincoln dealer.) They checked and the battery had a dead cell. My extended warranty paid the towing but not the battery. Battery replaced at 109.95 plus installation. They said that this was the only replacement battery for the thunderbird. I guess they are right, but it seems odd.
Anyway, that's my contribution to the thread. Oh yes, 44500 miles on the '05 vehicle. My wife drives it everyday.

An '05 Bird with 44,500 miles.....Wow!😱

I told you she drives it everywhere!!!! 🙂 Plus we made a number of trips from Huntsville, Al to NO, La. As well as other trips. We got the thing in May of 2005, the last one the dealer had.
She lets me drive it to the dealer for fixing things and to put gas in it.
Otherwise, there she is, whizzing along!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back