Bath Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
H
Hi Everyone!

Thought I'd ask how regularly everyone washes their car. We drive our black/black bird nearly every day (avoiding bad weather)and I end up needing to wash it a about twice a week. Am I obsessive or is this the norm?

------------------
Black/Black/Black Acc. Prem.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Originally posted by Heisenberg:
[BWe drive our black/black bird nearly every day (avoiding bad weather)and I end up needing to wash it a about twice a week. Am I obsessive or is this the norm?

[/B]

I don't think you are obsessive if you wash a black daily driver twice a week. I had a black Mercedes (not a daily driver) that I washed it every time I drove it. I never have understood why people buy black cars and don't keep them clean. Not much prettier than black when clean, but not very pretty when it needs a bath.
I have a yellow T Bird, it has never been driven when dirty. If I drive it every day, gets washed 3 times/week.I know I am obsessive, but I don't care.

-

Tbird owners obsessive about their cars? I can't imagine that.
wink.gif
What really amazes me is that all these "obsessive" folks get along remarkably well. I've ordered more trinkets and assessories for this car than I have for my wife in the past year. But then again she did get the biggest trinket of all. She got the Tbird.

------------------
Courage - and shuffle the cards

i don't know if this is obsessive or not, but iv'e had my car 2 months now and i've washed it about 900 times. black/black/triple red accent

I don't have you listed in the database, please see my thread "Database Info for the New Birds - post here Update 1", thanks.

talk about obsessive!
biggrin.gif

On the days you do not wash the car, use Mothers Shoetime Instant Detailer to cleeane dust,finger prints and smudgers off. The car will look just waxed . I have a all black Thunderbird and use it all the time after I washe the car,before and after I wax the car, at night before I cover the car and when I want the car to look grate with out waxing or washing it.

Is that OBSESSIVE

-

Born Again, you need to take sponge in hand and get the feel of the Bird. Don't let her have ALL the fun.
tongue.gif

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
Live Long and Prosper!

-

I envy all of you. Here in NJ we are still on water restrictions. I have not had good results in carwashes (even the hand ones) I have used the coin operated ones but still rely mostly on the California duster and spray detailer. Mine is an everyday driver. This week they finally ok'ed us to wash cars on the weekends, so I did and enjoyed every minute doing it.

------------------
2002 Black/Black/Full Red
1957 Starmist Blue

57 bluebird, what I have done , because we have the same thing, is go out to the car wash about 6am on Sunday morning and do my thing, that way no one can bitc_ about it.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
Live Long and Prosper!

I've had my T-bird for two weeks. Haven't washed her yet
frown.gif
. But just this morning I went out to get all brand-new car-washing materials -- soap, sponge, Armor-All, and a Miracle Towel (man-made chamois by Turtle Wax). I'll wash her tonight after it cools off (it's 96 degrees here in DC).

I hereby swear I will never take my T-bird to a car wash. I will bathe her myself in my driveway -- why should I let anyone else have the fun? Plus, I'll do it right every single time.

While I am not the obsessive type (hey - two weeks with an inaugural washing), I have to admit that I did rent a power washer to clean out my garage the week my T-bird was to arrive. I wanted her to have a nice, clean nest when she got home. And she did.
smile.gif

thaser;

DON'T USE ARMOR-ALL. Spend a few extra bucks and use the 303 Aerospace protectant. You will find it at RV centers.

------------------
Courage - and shuffle the cards

TBirdMarty,
Thanks for the tip. I have to admit that even in my old car I didn't like the way Armor All worked -- it seemed to leave a spotty finish on the dash. I will go with your recommendation! Many thanks,
Tom

My car will be 9 months old in two weeks and has 1,700 miles on it now. It has not had a water hosed turned on it yet. I dust the car off with my California duster 2 - 4 times a day. I take the air compressor and blow out all under the hood, the brake calipers, under the deck lid where the dust collects in the channel that goes around by the seal and when the support shocks rest when trunk is closed and also use Mothers Showtime instant detailer. The instant detailer works great for removing any bugs that may end there lives on the front of the bird. The car might get a bath before winter sets in, but I can't see it getting bathed any sooner if it stays as clean as it has so far. Never drive through puddles or take car out when raining.

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

We, too, have had our Bird about 9 months, have driven it about 1800 miles. Because of water use restreictions, it has only been washed once. It has been waxed, and I do use detailer occaisionally. It stays in the garage, generally covered, when not in use. It has not seen rain yet, but that will probably change when we do our first serious travelling this summer. As it gets driven more, I will need to work out other arrangements for washing it, perhaps doing it early enough to avoid the "water police". (Yes they do exist around here, summons books and all). I want to get into the regiment of washing it weekly, whether it needs it or not. When we were building our house, I talked to the builder about putting a drain system in the garage, so vehicles could be washed in it, but I let him talk us out of it. Hind sight is always 20-20.

Skip
Red/Red/Red Premium #1678

I bought the 303 Protectant yesterday... do you use it only on the dash & door panels, or also on the leather?

Also, what does everyone use for soap?? One of the gallon jugs of Armor All concentrate or something like that?? My husband uses Palmolive on his car, but I've read that that is bad for them as dishwashing liquid can strip the wax??!

I too have a soap question. I washed my bird for the first time last night and something weird happened. I used the basic private label car wash soap from Trak Auto (an east coast auto store chain). After washing with a sponge, I hosed the car off and then dried it with a "Miracle Towel", an synthetic chamois sold by Turtle Wax. As I dried the car, soap suds formed on the car. So then I re-sprayed the car with water as if I was putting out a fire in Arizona (i.e., I used a LOT of water). When I dried off the car with the Miracle Towel I still had a little soap suds forming on the surface of the car. I should mention that it was about 90 degrees and 95% humidity outside when I washed my car (very nasty, indeed). I think the heat/humidity contributed to less-than-optimal washing/drying conditions (especially drying).

Until I got my bird, I've been driving a 1990 Acura Integra for the past 12 years. So I have no experience with modern clearcoat paint finishes.

Is it normal for soad suds to form on a new clearcoat finish, even after mega-hosing the car? Or do I need to get a new bottle of soap? (The bottle said "Safe for clearcoat finishes). Or maybe it was the humidity?

All suggestions welcome!

Originally posted by thaser:
I used the basic private label car wash soap from Trak Auto (an east coast auto store chain). After washing with a sponge, I hosed the car off and then dried it with a "Miracle Towel", an synthetic chamois sold by Turtle Wax. As I dried the car, soap suds formed on the car. So then I re-sprayed the car with water as if I was putting out a fire in Arizona (i.e., I used a LOT of water). When I dried off the car with the Miracle Towel I still had a little soap suds forming on the surface of the car.

Is it normal for soad suds to form on a new clearcoat finish, even after mega-hosing the car? Or do I need to get a new bottle of soap? (The bottle said "Safe for clearcoat finishes). Or maybe it was the humidity?

All suggestions welcome!

I am guessing the "miracle towel" is a microfiber towel. I would bet the farm that any soap was coming from the towel, not the finish of the car.
Microfiber towels have to be washed using very little soap and rinsed very well (in the washer, 2 rinse cycles).
Clearcoat finsihes do not absorb soap. The humidity makes it harder to dry but the soap should easily rinse off. Doubt it has much to do with the brand of car wash soap either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back