Are all convertible Boots black in 02-05

“THESE BOOTS ARE MADE FOR WALKIN’!”
As I understand it, the “BOOT” was only offered as a cost-optional accessory. Ask various owners and you will find that this accessory is increasingly rare.

In the 2002 model-year, the boot that fit all deck snaps, was a bi-fold item. It seems to be reinforced by a thin Masonite board-like interior. In my view, it is clumsy at best.

In subsequent model-years [2003-2005] the boot offered by Ford was a softer, upholdered piece that also snaps to all existing deck snaps. It appears to have a 5/8” thick inner layer made of upholstery foam.

This latter boot easily folds four times so as to stow away and fit inside the cubbyhole in the foreword part of the trunk. This softer boot is far-superior to any alternatives (my opinion).

Without a boot when the top is down, what shows to the sun mostly only the car’s inner headliner which isn’t too serious considering what few days are suitably sunny, given the varying weather on this planet.

When snapped in place, this newer boot fills out in convex curves an implied, larger top & its mechanism, as it used to be in older cars (see the Volkswagen Cabriolet!). The resulting look is dramatically nicer!

Previously, I had purchased an after-market, thin, flat, flimsy, shiny vinyl with fake leather texture. That frustrating hard-to-install facsimile does fit the foreword snaps but its long tear side is supposed to be held down by the trunk lid(!). It has a weird cutout to avoid the rear, third brake light. I will gladly sell this piece of s__t to anyone with a crisp 20 dollar note + shipping.

Another route one may take is to borrow a “good one” from another owner. Contact and make a deal with the BEST car upholstery shop in your town so that he can build for you another “real” one.

The upper surface of this new boot should be executed in (black?) canvas to match the car’s top. This most durable fabric is SUNBRELLA-brand which I found in Florida. Local retailers in fine garden furniture will give you 2” sq samples so that you are SURE that it matches.

Am I accurate? Does this help anyone?

Skizix
upload_2019-1-14_13-12-34.jpeg

(This example is NOT shown to illustrate a possible “wind breaker.”)

upload_2019-1-14_13-14-30.jpeg

Happily, this is MY ‘Bird in situ with its new boot, generously sold to me by another T-Bird Club member!

Last edited:

Previously, I had purchased an after-market, thin, flat, flimsy, shiny vinyl with fake leather texture. That frustrating hard-to-install facsimile does fit the foreword snaps but its long tear side is supposed to be held down by the trunk lid(!). It has a weird cutout to avoid the rear, third brake light. I will gladly sell this piece of s__t to anyone with a crisp 20 dollar note + shipping.

I'll take the weird boot for $20 + shipping to 44406. coat1971@******* or ************

I'll take the weird boot for $20 +shipping to 44406.

@coat1971 or ************

Thanks!
You were warned! Please text me for address and finalizing arrangements: 512-584-6070

Another route one may take is to borrow a “good one” from another owner. Contact and make a deal with the BEST car upholstery shop in your town so that he can build for you another “real” one.

[/ATTACH]

Happily, this is MY ‘Bird in situ with its new boot, generously sold to me by another T-Bird Club member!

example of taking yours to a upholstery shop, Don't think you can see well but it has two embossed T-Bird panels like the one in the seat topView attachment 3063

Gad Zooks! That’s gorgeous.
What did it CO$T you??

1.)Byron the check is in the mail.

2.)Cost --had the original boot covered- Material (2003 saddle-$90)-- Two panels with embossed T-Bird -$120 (Thunderbird Specialties has them now at $299 EACH)-cost to have covered $200.

So about $400 plus the cost of the original boot.

Only those with either 2003 Grey or Black and saddle interior might be interested. I have a request in this site for the hard flat tonneau which will make this available. Make me a "Fair" offer and it probably won't be refused.

Attachments

• IMG_0332.JPG
    IMG_0332.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 0
Back